How much food

MattP15

FNG
How much food is recommended per day per man? Going to be on a 10 day moose hunt. There will be 2 guys.

3000-3500 calories per person might be good. Really depends on your bodyweight...
That. 👆
And if you are carrying it try to buy mostly foods that are at least 100 calories per ounce. The more calorie dense the better. I actually drink a little olive oil with my lunch snack and a little more with dinner.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got my food dialed in right in the 3000 calories/day range. Averages out to 1.5 lbs/day. Took me several years to get it right, still will try new things occasionally, but nice to know I can plan a trip without much effort.

I've got my food dialed in right in the 3000 calories/day range. Averages out to 1.5 lbs/day. Took me several years to get it right, still will try new things occasionally, but nice to know I can plan a trip without much effort.
I keep a shopping list in my phone notes. Like you, I’ll change it up occasionally but I’m pretty dialed. Hard salami slices don’t meet the 100 cal/ounce benchmark but I really like them with cheese & crackers. Plus I think the fat they provide is a good thing and they keep for a long time in the pack. The tuna pack is the same, not a lot of calories but I make an exception because it goes so well with a tortilla and has a lot of protein. I’m close to 125 cal/ounce but a little over 1.5 lbs per day. I like to eat.

Last edited:
In case the OP is interested, this is my list from my phone notes.

Hunt food
3290 avg. calories per day
+3 Extra Pro Bars at Truck - Packing Meat

Breakfasts 660 Calories
  • Pro Bar 380
  • Fruit bar 110
  • Nature Valley Chewy granola 170
  • 2 Coffee Packets
Lunches 1,855 Calories
  • Snickers bar 250
  • Nature Valley Packed 240
  • Windstone Peanut Butter Packet 190
  • Tuna pack 70
  • Tortilla 140
  • 6 Club Crackers 105
  • 2 Tillamook Cheese snack 180
  • 6 salami 120
  • EVOO packet 120
  • 1 ounce beef jerky 90
  • Honey Stinger 150
  • 1/2 Pro-Bar 200
Dinners 775 Calories
  • Freeze dried meal 485
  • EVOO packet 120
  • Tea

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like salami and cheese too :)

breakfast I take a Lenny & Larry cookie- tastes good and 450 calories in a single cookie; I've been using my own rendition of bulletproof coffee- two packs of Via instant coffee w/ a couple of teaspoons of powdered butter (it's a real thing ) and powdered coconut oil- this adds 150-ish calories

snacks I'm taking Kind bars, 4 bars/day (and 4 in reserve just in case)- 200-ish calories each

lunch sliced dried salami, sliced cheese (Tiilamok makes some snack sized slices that are just the right size) and put into a sliced pita pocket (Smart Pockets); a helping of Fritos and a few fun sized Snickers- roughly 800 calories

supper a Peak Refuel w/ two packets of olive oil added- 1000-ish calories

about 3200 cals/day which for me seems to be about just right for me

wiO5woa.jpg

OP
M

MattP15

FNG

Hunt food

Breakfasts 660 Calories
  • Pro Bar 380
  • Fruit bar 110
  • 2 Coffee Packets
Lunches 1,855 Calories
  • Snickers bar 250
  • Tuna pack 70
  • Tortilla 140
  • 6 Club Crackers 105
  • 6 salami 120
  • EVOO packet 120
  • 1 ounce beef jerky 90
  • Honey Stinger 150
  • 1/2 Pro-Bar 200
Dinners 775 Calories
  • Freeze dried meal 485
  • EVOO packet 120
  • Tea
Thanks a lot. That helps

MtWarden… We have pretty close taste. I even buy the same exact cheese and olive oil 😉. Have you tried the Kind fruit bars? I love them.

OP
Something else. I don’t do any cooking for breakfast aside from heating water for coffee. I eat only no cook stuff for lunch. This saves time and the amount of fuel I need to carry. I can get a week out of a single 100 gram canister.

Also… you didn’t ask but…
I don’t bother with a bowl or cup. I pour the water directly into the freeze dried package and eat out of that. I drink my coffee and tea out of my stove pot. Saves time not washing anything and saves weight.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
MtWarden… We have pretty close taste. I even buy the same exact cheese and olive oil 😉. Have you tried the Kind fruit bars? I love them.

OP
Something else. I don’t do any cooking for breakfast aside from heating water for coffee. I eat only no cook stuff for lunch. This saves time and the amount of fuel I need to carry. I can get a week out of a single 100 gram canister.

I haven't- their "regular" bars are a staple for me though :)

I don't bring a bowl either- "cookie" for breakfast, no cook lunch and eat out of the bag for supper

I do bring a plastic cup for my coffee though, slightly insulated so it keeps my coffee warm

another way I save weight (and volume)

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...t-and-volume-of-your-backcountry-food.231506/

Shraggs

WKR
Will drying, as dehydrator?, allow salmi or summer sausage to keep a couple weeks?

A buddy took some summer sausage and he got sick

Will drying, as dehydrator?, allow salmi or summer sausage to keep a couple weeks?

A buddy took some summer sausage and he got sick
Good question. My hard salami is good for over a week so I’ve not bothered. I’ve also never tried this where is gets really hot. YMMV. I am planning an 11 day backpacking trip for this summer. I’m glad you brought this up. I’ll probably sort my meals to eat the salami in the first 5-7 days and save the jerky for the last half.
Thanks!

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
What kind of moose hunt?

The potential to pack real food and beverage exists on many types of moose hunts.

ZERO chance I’m eating freeze dried and squirrel food on many of them.

In that case. Maybe real food 1st 1/2 and backpacking style food 2nd 1/2? That’s what I’d consider. Unless you are getting dropped off in supercubs. Then probably better stick mostly with the freeze dried and squirrel food.

sILlogger

FNG
2lbs/man/day of nutrient rich food is a good rule of thumb that I go by.

I make all my own dehydrated meals. So just go off of what I’d usually eat and add a bit to it.

-2lbs per day

I have a menu I follow for all my hunts that keeps me from getting burnt out and always looking forward to my next meal.

Have used the same menu for a 21 day float hunt to 3 day backpack hunts.

If you’re interested message me as I keep it with all my hunting paperwork.

OP
M

MattP15

FNG
-2lbs per day

I have a menu I follow for all my hunts that keeps me from getting burnt out and always looking forward to my next meal.

Have used the same menu for a 21 day float hunt to 3 day backpack hunts.

If you’re interested message me as I keep it with all my hunting paperwork.
I'd like to take a look at it. Thanks.

Big_O_86

FNG

Hunt food

Breakfasts 660 Calories
  • Pro Bar 380
  • Fruit bar 110
  • 2 Coffee Packets
Lunches 1,855 Calories
  • Snickers bar 250
  • Tuna pack 70
  • Tortilla 140
  • 6 Club Crackers 105
  • 6 salami 120
  • EVOO packet 120
  • 1 ounce beef jerky 90
  • Honey Stinger 150
  • 1/2 Pro-Bar 200
Dinners 775 Calories
  • Freeze dried meal 485
  • EVOO packet 120
  • Tea
This is a great break down. Calculate your macros based off body weight. I add about 10% for tough terrain. I try to make sure I’m close to equal on my carb, protein, and fat consumption. Keep some simple sugar snacks handy for a burst of energy to get up that last hill for the day.