How much goose down?

Btaylor

WKR
Thinking about adding baffles and down to the bottom of my hammock rather than building or buying an underquilt. If I use 1 lb of 800FP goose down and insulate 80" of the hammock, what would an approx temp rating be? Based on what I have found online it looks like it could be rated anywhere from 30 degrees down to 0. That's more spread than I want so looking for opinions. Would like to be in the 15-20 degree range at least.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Tough to say because different hammock material stretches at different rates. If your hammock stretches, it sags and it's gonna smash your baffles flat like laying on a bag. Gotta figure the amount of stretch on the different parts of the hammock and design your baffles accordingly to get the best results. That's how the UQs work so well, by being able to adjust the amount of sag to keep it fully lofted.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kaspie

FNG
hammockforums.net has a pretty active DIY/MYOG section with loads of info on making insulation systems for hammocks, there is likely something there to help you figure it out. But I would think that a separate UQ would likely be the most reliable system.