How much hunting does your wife let you get by with?

So how much time can you get out hunting before your wife/husband/whatever starts to put their foot down? Scenario: I was able to head out to Montana for 11 days, I'd originally planned for 2 weeks but decided to leave on a Monday and get back on a Friday so I only missed one weekend with the family, it was also my sons first day of school so I stayed to see him off. Everything worked out great, made it home, no issues, now I'm treading lightly and trying to get a read on if I dare push it for 5-6 days of rifle elk in October, or if I stick to hunting white tails on the weekends with a few odd days off and take 5-6 days for Mule deer in Mid November. I can't complain, my Spidey senses are telling my rifle elk might put a strain on things, but I know she'll be cool with my other shenanigans (relatively speaking). So I guess what I'm saying is I seem to be able to push one longer trip, one 5-6 day trip and a bunch of at home hunting before I end up in the dog house (On a busy year when I can pull the tags) How much can you get out and how do you keep the home fires burning? I'm sure a week somewhere warm is going to be on the docket this winter, and it looks like a craft show and a bunch of stuff around the house are in my future tomorrow, once I build some equity back up I'll be hitting the woods to check cameras.

Rich M

WKR
I dont want to hunt a month every year. Can’t help you there. Week or two is enough big game for me but i take my dad duck hunting on the weekends all season.

Basically, having kids handed over your manhood. You are obligated to not hunt as much until kid is hunting with you or out of the house. Just the way it is.

Super tag

WKR
I hunt when I want, not under any constraints, never have had any, it’s only a short time each year, so I’m gone for 2, 3 or even 4 weeks during hunting seasons, plus the bird hunting but I’m around the rest of the year. That’s a good balance, she’s fine with it, been married 40 years.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm out roughly 40-50 nights a year- combination of backpacking/big game backpacking/snowshoeing/bc skiing- all four seasons; I sleep at home a little over 300 nights- that seems reasonable, evidently after 41 years so does the boss :D

rebels20

FNG
Out of town trips? Prob a week to two at most.
Local? A few half days a week if I want.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
46 years ago I told my then lady friend, I hunt and fish a lot, if you think this will be a problem in the future now is the time to discuss it not when I'm headed out the door for an outdoors trip. Well here we are all these years later, still married and still hunting and fishing, though not as much as the years are catching up with me. I found a real good woman, she's lucky to have me.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I'm out roughly 40-50 nights a year- combination of backpacking/big game backpacking/snowshoeing/bc skiing- all four seasons; I sleep at home a little over 300 nights- that seems reasonable, evidently after 41 years so does the boss :D
Seems more than fair.

OP
S
I'm content with what I've got going on, I know where the limits are and stay within them, we've both got 9-5's, family comes first. Having kids has been an adjustment, I've found its easier to take days off during the week than try to hunt all weekend, like I said keep mama happy and the home fires burning. Just curious what everyone else runs into, I've got one buddy that can barely get 2 days for rifle deer season.

KBC

WKR
I had 2.5 weeks off in September and have another week in October. I’ll probably take a few extra days off to make some long weekends in November and might even get out again in December.
I tell my wife when I’m hunting but I also come home early if she needs help and try to make sure things are taken care of before I go. Last week I was supposed to be gone all week but only ended up being gone a few days since things went sideways at home (plumbing, car troubles and babysitting issues hahaha) I’m definitely fortunate to have a great understanding wife and not get a hard time about things but I’m not sure I would accept the whole “being allowed” to go either.
I encourage her to do things as well and she is going to Mexico with my sisters on a girls trip in November so maybe that helps.

Or maybe she just has a boyfriend and looks forward to my hunting trips. 😂😂😂

TSAMP

WKR
I have no limit. I try and accomplish tasks before hunting season. I work hard to do this and she understands the reason is I don't want to deal with it during the season. Remodeling for example. So it isn't a suprise once I am hunting it is my focus. I think this is critical for having a care free season, by showing up and doing the work in your off time you paint the picture.

I agree permission isn't somthing I ask for. But I am generally accommodating and have found when I do my part there isn't any resistance on the other end.

mlgc20

WKR
I almost always take my kids with me on my hunting/fishing/backpacking trips. My wife couldn’t be more excited when I leave with the gang. She gets a week with just herself and the dogs. The only thing that limits me is how much school the girls can miss.

MTtrout

WKR
Every wife/spouse is different, as we know. I would focus on communicating with your wife what you want in hunting and work out a solution. Your time off from work is an important equation in the conversation. I take many weeks off a year for hunting and still spend many nights camping with the family and taking trips with everyone. Do what works for everyone