How much hunting does your wife let you get by with?

I am probably out hunting 30-40 nights a year. She tried to make it a big deal when we first got married. I shut that shit down real quick with a “you knew who I was when you married me” talk and have’t had a problem since. Just had my 19th anniversary. I did 7 nights for the spring bear hunt, Just did 11 nights in Alaska. I am planning another 7 for my Idaho elk. Then I will have another 10-14 for pheasants in november in the dakotas.

CorbLand

WKR
My wife lets me go whenever I want. The biggest thing is making sure that you take care of things around the house and spend time with her when you can.

I asked an older friend once about this same question. He said his secret was dancing. He took his wife dancing once a week and she didn't bother him about his hobbies. I recon if you know what she needs, take care of that, the rest will go smoothly.

Did you guys know you get to choose who to marry? My wife is fine with me hunting a hell of a lot more than my work allows. Like money, religion, kids, and most other major things; it was all discussed before marriage. When I got married I was agreeing to make her a priority and same when we decided to have kids. Hunting falls far behind both. I get 6 weeks vacation a year. For now, about half that I spend with family and half hunting. 3 kids and a funeral in 4 years so I’ve decided to only do two long trips each of the last few years. Two of which she made me do. I’ll be taking them with in a few years and most of them 6 weeks off will be for us hunting.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
In all seriousness, my wife love moose season because I’m out of the house more and she loves having meat to make good food with for the year. If I didn’t go moose hunting, she’d probably not be happy. Other types of animals I, I just soften her up a bit for a few weeks before going.

Michael54

WKR
I was fortunate. My father in law was/is a hunting machine. She knows what to expect come fall. Her biggest gripe is her teachers contract doesn't give her enough time off to come with me lol. Im gonna try to get her to nebraska for a muzzleloader hunt over christmas break next year.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
From September to February , every weekend, then there's the additional 3-4 weeks I take for hunting out of state.

A man has duties to his family.
Providing food and time are two of them.

Are you working hard at work?
Working hard at home for your family whilst you are there?
Then hunt on. The seasons are short.

elkyinzer

WKR
The money has never been an issue. I spend a decent amount on gear but nothing too crazy most of what I buy if not a genuine need is at least sensible. Not into showy luxury brands and that.

With young kids not being around to help out becomes a point of contention over the course of a season. I haven't attempted a western hunt in a few years and its going to be a few more out of my own accord. Not that I couldn't do it if I made that 100% priority but I'm not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to make that work on the home front.

Elkbelch

FNG
I don’t have a limit but I know when I’ve been gone too long. After 30 years 10 days is about all I care to be away from my wife. I enjoy her company and would take with me but she is not into roughing it. She did mention an antelope hunt and a cabin. I’ll have to look into it

Shawn

Wrench

WKR
I chase my wife around like a rutting bull all year, ramp it up severely in August. She has spent the last 3 years with me gone the entire month of September and considers it post rut...plus, 2 weeks in October and 2 weeks in November.....then we bird hunt together.

She wants me to be me....and she knows elk don't grow on trees and she enjoys eating them

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
So how much time can you get out hunting before your wife/husband/whatever starts to put their foot down? Scenario: I was able to head out to Montana for 11 days, I'd originally planned for 2 weeks but decided to leave on a Monday and get back on a Friday so I only missed one weekend with the family, it was also my sons first day of school so I stayed to see him off. Everything worked out great, made it home, no issues, now I'm treading lightly and trying to get a read on if I dare push it for 5-6 days of rifle elk in October, or if I stick to hunting white tails on the weekends with a few odd days off and take 5-6 days for Mule deer in Mid November. I can't complain, my Spidey senses are telling my rifle elk might put a strain on things, but I know she'll be cool with my other shenanigans (relatively speaking). So I guess what I'm saying is I seem to be able to push one longer trip, one 5-6 day trip and a bunch of at home hunting before I end up in the dog house (On a busy year when I can pull the tags) How much can you get out and how do you keep the home fires burning? I'm sure a week somewhere warm is going to be on the docket this winter, and it looks like a craft show and a bunch of stuff around the house are in my future tomorrow, once I build some equity back up I'll be hitting the woods to check cameras.

I cringe when I hear stories like this. The "dog house"?? This infers one person in the relationship feels superior to the other, and demands obedience.
I have a cousin, who for many years was like a brother to me. We hunted, fished, scouted, camped-you name it. One day he meets a woman, then gets married. His love for the outdoors has been murdered. I have so many friends that live a similar life. They say stuff like "Let me catch her in a good mood", or "If I get this honey do list done, maybe".
It's truly sad, because it's not a healthy model for marriage success. In my humble opinion, being married is a partnership, one with support, patience and understanding. My passions are 100% supported and encouraged by my wife, just the same as I do for her passions. Yes, these passions are secondary to being parents, raising kids and putting them first, but they are still very important in a marriage. Make no mistake-I have 3 kids, they play sports, have friends and I am there for almost all of it-all the while working overseas. It can be done.
I would suggest having a conversation with your wife, and be prepared with talking points that counter, or show the other side of what you say would make you "tread lightly" and maybe show your year round work as a father and husband are very deserving of time to pursue your passions.
One other bonus is, time apart is the true way to "keep the fire burning" as you say.
I am sharing this, not to dump on you or poke fun. I lost my hunting buddy and it is sad. Hope this can help you.