How much longer before the 30-06 becomes an "antique?"

I've always been a big fan of the 7x57 Mauser round. I love it's history, it's efficiency and how far ahead of it's time the caliber was. 100+ years later, it can hang with anything made.

But it's an antique. You can barely find factory ammo for it anymore, and the action length is an antique too. So these days I shoot the 7mm-08 which is the closest "modern" equivalent.

Someday, the venerable 'aught six' is going to join the 7x57 Mauser in the "antique" category, relegated to a handful of romantic hunters, collectors and military buffs. Most folks have already moved on, and in another generation, I bet we see very, very few '06's in the field.

I'm not sure what constitutes an "antique" caliber, but at what point do you think it's going to start becoming hard to find '06 ammo?

20 years? 50? 100?

There is only so much room on the Wal-mart ammo shelf, and with the 6.5 CM taking up more room every day, something's gotta give.

Hondo

WKR
Federal Premium recently introduced a whole bunch of 30-06 options featuring Berger, Sierra, Nosler and Barnes bullets although I doubt they get stocked at Walmart. It's got me wanting to dust off my old 30-06 and shoot it, not retire it.

OXN939

WKR
20 years? 50? 100?

It's really hard to find a factory hunting rifle line that isn't offered in '06, even by the manufacturers that only give you five or six options. Tough to say what the world is going to look like in 100 years, but I doubt '06 will go anywhere in our lifetime.

WKR
I used the 7x57 in Africa, that cartridge is still very popular over there. The 30-06' isn't going anywhere either.

Laramie

WKR
As long as hunting is legal, the 30-06 will be relevant. No other caliber has the versatility that it offers. Factory loaded from 55 grains to 220 grains, it can be a great selection for most hunts on the planet. My son's and grandsons will all have one with a quality scope for their 21st birthday. It's a family tradition. I'm betting several others do something similar.

The 30-06 is a fantastic all-around big game hunting cartridge. Been that way for over a century. It will likely endure far beyond the numerous new long-range super-magnums vying to supplant it.

Spoonbill

WKR
This is just speculation, but I imagine most people who go and buy a hunting rifle in 30-06 don’t read/ post on internet hunting forums. Sort of like how people think the 270 is inaccurate and worthless, but the 280 ackley is thor’s hammer and zeus’ lightning bolt rolled up and captured inside a cartridge.

CorbLand

WKR
I work at a gun counter. We sell a lot of 6.5 Creedmoors but we sell far more 270/3006/7mm than 6.5. I think 270 will go bye bye before the 06. I don’t foresee the 06 going anywhere in the next 75 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be willing to bet there's still more elk killed with the '06 than any other caliber, just ask 100 western elk hunters what rifle they use. The answers will be all over the place, but $100 says half of em are still using a 30-06.

22lr

WKR
It will eventually, but I'd give it another hundred years! #LongLiveTheKing

Just looking at trends, the 6.5 is on the way to greater popularity but it has a long ways to go. The beauty of the 30-06 is just how versatile it has become. For factory load and the roll your own folks alike! Options are key to longevity, and the 30-06 has options in spades.

It like 22lr, there are so many better rimfire rounds out there, but nothing has shown to have the staying power of the infamous 22lr for the sheer variety of options alone.

slvrslngr

WKR
Nope, not going anywhere. Too common, too versatile, too effective. Only the 30-30 kills more deer in America and it’s even older.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
This is just speculation, but I imagine most people who go and buy a hunting rifle in 30-06 don’t read/ post on internet hunting forums. Sort of like how people think the 270 is inaccurate and worthless, but the 280 ackley is thor’s hammer and zeus’ lightning bolt rolled up and captured inside a cartridge.

I'm new to hunting and over several months read everything I could on as many different forums as I could, as many articles, etc, that I could, talked to as many friends who hunt as I could and ended up with a .30-06 as my first rifle.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Doubt it fades any time in the next 50 years. Perhaps if NATO decided on a 7mm battle rifle and there was a major war to familiarize everyone with the 7mm round.

16Bore

WKR
I'd be willing to bet there's still more elk killed with the '06 than any other caliber, just ask 100 western elk hunters what rifle they use. The answers will be all over the place, but $100 says half of em are still using a 30-06.

But every elk-one-day-rifle is a super wizzbang long range magnum....