How much longer before the 30-06 becomes an "antique?"

OP
Newtosavage
Interesting responses. In my view, not really in line with the amount of discussion on this board about the '06. I almost never see anyone asking or talking about or building an '06 here. Usually the only '06's I see here are for sale. It would be interesting to know among the member here, what % of them actually consider their '06 their primary hunting rifle.

I enjoyed mine while I had it. If it had been in a heavier rifle, I would have enjoyed it even more. LOL

OP
Newtosavage
You either start with one, finish with one, or both.
LOL not in my case, but I also have nothing against the round. Had my first deer rifle been an '06 instead of a 30-30, I'd probably feel otherwise.

'06 is surely a nostalgic American round. It will get more use for that reason alone, than anything that has to do with ballistics.

I just don't feel like I see very many '06's mentioned or recommended on this forum at all. I mean, how many "which rifle" threads do you see here, end up with the '06 as the primary recommendation? Very few that I've seen.

But it also doesn't surprise me to see so many folks jump to it's defense. I'm glad I gave them an opportunity to write something about the '06 for the first time in a while. :D

The 30-06 is Never a Bad Choice! Wish I could claim saying that one first.

The 30-06 isn't very accurate. Ruger 1B with 165 gr. Accubond using a 4x scope.
1590514149670.png

1590514189086.png

Not effective on game. Ruger 1B - 30-06
1590514281932.png

Remington 700 ADL 30-06
1590514344432.png

1590514464564.png Ruger 1B 30-06

Went through 5 water jugs - 30" of penetration. Almost made it into jug number 6.
1590514598167.png

1590514625199.png

Sexy
1590514794768.png

robtattoo

WKR
I just don't feel like I see very many '06's mentioned or recommended on this forum at all. I mean, how many "which rifle" threads do you see here, end up with the '06 as the primary recommendation? Very few that I've seen.

That's because just hunting & killing shit efficiently & at a reasonable cost ain't cool.

Ballistics computers, 700yd shots, computer linkup range finders, shot solution calculators & running rigs. Now THAT'S cool!

OP
Newtosavage
That's because just hunting & killing shit efficiently & at a reasonable cost ain't cool.

Ballistics computers, 700yd shots, computer linkup range finders, shot solution calculators & running rigs. Now THAT'S cool!
You're probably right. Now that you mention it, I never did run with my '06 the whole time I owned it. Hmm.

Newtosavage now how can you not see the sexy here? Look at that beautiful head with that sleek 165 gr. Accubond on top. The long slender neck with the graceful shoulders leading down to the ample yet not over-the-top bottom with enough capacity to sling those bullets at amazing speeds with the utmost accuracy! 😂

1590516513482.png

16Bore

WKR
Help me decide between a 6.5 flatbrim or 6.5 sombrero. Please. I don’t handload but am gonna get into it once I get my tax refund or Trump money. Also, where can I hunt? Also, what knife should I carry? Which razor to shave my sack? What pack? Are Vortex binos good? What’s the best chapstick?

OP
Newtosavage
Newtosavage now how can you not see the sexy here? Look at that beautiful head with that sleek 165 gr. Accubond on top. The long slender neck with the graceful shoulders leading down to the ample yet not over-the-top bottom with enough capacity to sling those bullets at amazing speeds with the utmost accuracy! 😂

View attachment 184494
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
Newtosavage
Help me decide between a 6.5 flatbrim or 6.5 sombrero. Please. I don’t handload but am gonna get into it once I get my tax refund or Trump money. Also, where can I hunt? Also, what knife should I carry? Which razor to shave my sack? What pack? Are Vortex binos good? What’s the best chapstick?
Don't knock shaving your sack until you've tried it. ;) Dr. Evil was a fan.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rob5589

WKR
Interesting responses. In my view, not really in line with the amount of discussion on this board about the '06. I almost never see anyone asking or talking about or building an '06 here.
No flat brims...
No hashtags...
No follows...
No sizzle...

OP
Newtosavage
You guys keep talking about flatbrims and hashtags and tbh, since I've been a member here I just haven't seen that much of that. I mean, there's some, but not as much as a lot of folks make it out to be. One of the reasons I've hung around here is because it seems this is a pretty reasonable group of folks actually. And yet, I still rarely see the '06 recommended.

I think it's days are numbered. They ain't making kids, or rather, parents, like they used to. GenX is probably the last generation that was handed a rifle that was way too big for them, and told to go shoot it without hearing protection as the dads and uncles stood back and laughed. I mean, if that's not a scenario crying for an '06, I'm not sure what is.