How much meat off a boned out bull

Gerbdog

WKR
Took the 4 quarters of the cow elk i got this year into the processor, bone in, had a hanging weight of 162 lbs with 1 backstrap. Other backstrap got eaten over the week. I ended up with about 40 lbs of bones for my dog and 105 lbs of meat. i guess about 20 lbs got taken off for aging/drying and then trimming.

wapitibob

WKR
I filled two 120 qt coolers to the brim with nothing but meat from a nm bull and we weighed it on certified scales at 330# Never seen anything close to that before or since.

WRO

WKR
Biggest boned out meat load I've seen from an elk was 398 boned out of a walla walla bull in 2014.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I process my own meat. I am never satisfied with the amount of packaged meat I get back from the processor (me).
It takes a lot of time but it's done right. Although the trash can is heavier than I like.

Its kind of like getting your transmission worked on, it works and maybe you didn't get screwed but you will always feel like you did. Never been to a processor, im very picky about my game meat and have processed avery animal from our family and friends. Never been to an oil change place either so that tells you something.

Marble

WKR
Most of my bulls with bone in weight in close to 250, sometimes 275, with the leg bones. No back strap or tenderloin included.

Figure 40 pounds give or take for leg bones.

My cow last year boned out was 136 pounds.

We use horses most of the time so the bones stay in. So.e of the smaller bulls have been right at 200.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
The biggest bull i have ever seen was a huge 6 point Roosevelt I called in for a buddy in CA. 580 lbs of meat.....I felt like I was butchering a steer. It was freakish large. The backstraps were 9 to 10" across and 6 to 8" thick. The tenders were bigger then entire mule deer straps.

I was super worried about the meat since it was 85 degrees and 3 hours to the truck. My buddy showed up with a 4 wheeler. There was an abandoned skid road 200 yards from us I didn't know about. Saved us.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I didnt read the entire thread, and what I'm about to say isnt an elk but it does relate to processors.

My buddy killed an antelope this year, said it seemed small and wouldnt get much back. He got back at least 12 big bags of jerky. In his own words. He let me try it and it leaves a person to wonder if it was really all his meat, let alone antelope.

I'll process my own just for peace of mind.

Jeaous143

FNG
We have weighed both Rocky Mountain elk and costal Roosevelts after packing them out. We take everything except rib meat and flank. Roosevelt this year was #290. Last year was #275 (leg bones included without hooves). Rocky mountain elk are closer to #200-220.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
I appreciate all the data points. Pretty sure I got hosed on this deal

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
My experience with 10-12 bulls I’ve killed is I usually get 130-200lbs of meat back from the processor. Small elk vs big elk.. boned out vs quarters.. can’t ever imagine getting 300+lbs back from an elk... could be the processor scales weighs heavy to charge more??

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
For reference, I shot a spike last year. I process my own and refuse to grind anything that isn't red. I trim 100% of fat and connective tissue out before I grind. I then add 10% beef fat (ribeye) prior to grinding. My total weight for steaks, and burger was 161 pounds. We eat a lot of burger so only saved prime cuts for steaks. The largest bull I harvested put 255 pounds of meat in the freezer using the same processing method.

I have heard of many people through the years complaining about processors. In most cases, hunters don't have realistic expectations on how much they should get back. In some cases, I do think processors are careless during trimming. They get in a hurry as time is money to them. Bottom line, if you want high quality game on your table, do it yourself.
Totally agree

Why you just do your own meat. Especially if ts already boned out half the work is already done.

My bull last year was mature and easily the same amount as what you took in. 225 pounds or more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
Sounds like you already have it figured out and some other guys have already said it, but you definitely got screwed. Sorry about that.

I shot a cow this year and I don't have any bone in weights, but I had 165# of it boned out, before any processing. I netted 150# of meat into my freezer. I was relatively picky about taking meat, but didn't pick the carcass totally clean or anything like that. She was a pretty decently sized cow though.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
300 pounds of packaged meat off an elk?! That must have been a monster bodied bull!

Washington Roosevelt. I will look for the butcher notes tonight when I get home.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    354.4 KB · Views: 66

Ucsdryder

WKR
Washington Roosevelt. I will look for the butcher notes tonight when I get home.
That makes a lot more sense. Rocky Mountain and coastal elk are like comparing coues deer and RM mule deer. That’s a load of meat!

This is exactly why I don't let anyone else process my game, I don't trust them to take the same care that I do. I've been screwed before, had elk cut with beef fat which I specifically didn't want. I spend too much time, energy, and money on this stuff to let knuckle dragger bend me over when it comes to the end product.