how much powder

bnsafe

WKR
bought my first in line muzzleloader this weekend and havnt shot any muzzleloader in over 25 years, man have things changed. so, how much powder, bullet wt and kind, etc do you guys use for elk hunting. im asking bout colorado where pellets and sabots are illegal as i understand it. i will have to say it was fun to shoot today, but expensive and a pain in the rear to clean, just like the old days

I too use those 348 gr Power Belt AreoTips, they shoot very well in my Omega, but I use 130 gr of Pyrodex to push it out. I need to give that triple 7 a try. Clean up is a bleeze with my Omega. I just pop the stock off and clean it all up with warm soap and water, dry it up, put a little oil on it and its good to go back in the safe.

BH Hunter

FNG
I use 110 gr of Blackhorn 209 w/ 300 grain dead centers. If you do nothing else, try the blackhorn. I really don't care to much for BP, I tried the Shockey powder, hated it. Pyrodex, ok. Triple 7 good. Try Blackhorn

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks guys, i bought the triple 7 but will try some buckhorn sometime and will look at the aerotips. think i will start out at 100 gr of triple 7 and see what happens. appreciate the info.

IAHNTR

WKR
The Blackhorn can be a little finicky with ignition, but doesn't leave a crud ring and is very easy to clean. It shoots very consistent velocities and is very consistent on size and weight. Where as other powders can be different sizes from the start of the jug to the bottom, BH209 is very consistent. Make sure your particular gun can shoot it though. I know plunger style guns aren't suppose to use it. As far as how much to use. I wold start at 90, shoot a couple groups, then try 100, shoot a couple, 110, shoot a couple and 120, shoot a couple. When you see which is showing the most promising results you can fine tune from there. If you don't like what you are getting you could then try a different bullet weight/type. Since you won't be using a scope I would shoot these groups at a distance that you feel takes the most human error out of the equation, but still far enough to let the different powder charges/bullet types show their differences. Maybe like 75 yds. with a good rest. Last of all, don't get discouraged, this process might take multiple trips to the range. Good luck!!

GJ Dave

FNG
I've tried all the powders and have settled on Blackhorn 209. As IAHNTR stated, It can be a little hard to ignite but if you use CCI magnum primers you should be good to go. Also have the added bonus of zero crud ring.

bowinhand

WKR
I think I should try BH 209... Currently my load is a 350gr Hornady FPB on 110gr of triple seven.
Also don't forget to test out a load for small game too, that's what I like about muzzle loaders is you control the load.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Les, I shoot 90 grains of Triple 7 behind a 300 grain bullet. I prefer accuracy over speed so I use the powder vs pellets. I've shot 1" groups with this load.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Les, I shoot 90 grains triple 7 behind 300 grain bullet. I prefer accuracy over velocity and have shot 1" groups with a peep sight with this. I like the powder as I can fiddle with my load in small increments vs the pellets.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
are the power belts considered sabots, im a little confused what colorado considers a sabot

Cant recommend BH enough. I have literally shot a dumptruck worth of deer with triple 7 and xtps, and last year I tried BH and sst's. Cleaner and more accurate out of my gun. Wont go back.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I have been shooting pyrodex powder in my .58 ML. Running around 65 gr under a 500 gr conical.

For range time I use a mix of windshield washer fluid and rubbing alcohol, 50/50. Works great and fast.

For powder the BH has shot very well. I recommend experimenting with the powder in 5!grain increments to see what shoots the best. I landed on 90 grains.

Also, do a good review on the various muzzy forums about Powerbelts performance on elk. There is enough out there to keep me from using them.

Highly recommend Thor bullets. These are made by Barnes. Order the sizing kit and they will shoot very well. I use the 300 gr tipped.

A couple other suggestions. Mount a scope and use to determine your most accurate load and since you are hunting Colorado add a peep site when you take off the scope.
Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nebhunt

WKR
Like others have said the Blackhorn powder is the best I have found. I use a 209 magnum to set it off. For Colorado I use the Thor bullet. This combo does very well in my TC Encore

Phaseolus

WKR
90 grains of BH 209 and Hornady FPB 350 grain. Powerbelts have a poor reputation with elk. The only elk I shot with a 348 grain powerbelt did not stay down and i did not retrieve it.

Sled

WKR
wow, zombie thread. shoot this thread in the head with some CO legal projectiles being pushed by blackhorn 209.