How Much PTO Do You Have?

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
I get 36 days (7 weeks and 1 day but 12 of those days are unpaid) of leave which can be used for vacation or sick and 11 days of holidays each year. My boss has never declined a vacation request and I use most all those days every year. I am 30 years old and feel very fortunate for the amount of time I get to spend in the mountains doing what I love. Time is absolutely our most valuable asset which is why I decided early in life that I would prioritize finding a lifestyle and career that would afford the most of it. I like to periodically listen to the famous Steve Jobs commencement address where he stated "Remembering I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life." If you are unsatisfied with your job or the amount of time you get off than decide you are going to work hard to rewrite the story of your life because there are better opportunities waiting for you.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
At my previous job, I had 8 wks banked, and 6 months paid sick leave accrued...after 26 years of employment.
Now, I'm paid a little over half of my previous salary, but have most of January, June, & July off, and some of August & December with waay less hassle & political bs to deal with when I AM at work.
Very much worth it.

Looks like some pretty sweet deals. Years ago we had "vacation ",a few days of "sick leave" . Then it changed to "PTO" Now it's "ATO" (allowed time off) . There's no "paid" if I'm not at work. You're paid on production which is good if you work hard, but you do think about time off. I don't believe we have any carryover to the next year

TodOz

FNG
Currently maxed out at 400 hours. Accrue almost a full day every two weeks. Plan to use some soon and a bunch this fall.

Carlin59

WKR
I have unlimited PTO. Salaried, 5 years in a large corporate healthcare company. Unlimited PTO was tied to achieving a certain seniority status, not necessarily years on the job. My wife was very excited when she found out I had unlimited PTO. I did my best not to laugh and explained to her “unlimited PTO = no PTO”. Time off for the last 5 years has been almost exclusively just working less hours per day remotely. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and the other compensation is satisfactory. Just found out my dad drew a WY bull tag we’ve been planning for a decade+, so really looking to take some legit time off this September and October.

nphunter

WKR
240hrs of Vacation, 24hrs of Floating Holiday, 8hrs Birthday, 56hrs Sick Leave, 13 Paid Holidays and work 4-10's. I end up getting to hunt pretty much all I want each year. I can also "work from home" some days, typically if I have to travel to hunt and have cell service while traveling I am able to clock hours since I'm still available if anyone needs me.

Currently, I have 2 weeks in Aug. for antelope, 3 weeks in Sept. for elk and 2 weeks in Oct. for deer on the calendar for this fall.

Steelhead

FNG
I think its hillarious how all these modern companies tout the "work life balance" while I have watched the clamps tighten more and more as the years go by.
Been working in Supply Chain/Logistics in healthcare/diagnostics for the past 25 years. Almost all were salaried which is great except...
when I first started in the industry mid-90's I accrued PTO up to 160 hours + 7 days sick + 5 personal days. About 10 years ago the industry basically eliminated sick days and personal time soon after. They did increase the PTO accrual rate to compensate, which didn't come close.
Most recently the industry, and I'm guessing Tech too, eliminated accrued PTO, so a modern "unlimited" and you "come to an agreement with your manager" which means you better have a nice manager. Of course they still make you log in your PTO requests in the timekeeping system, hmmmm. The immediate impact to me was that my annual elk hunting trips went from 2 weeks to 1 week and a "you can take the second week off at a later time" from my manager, saying it was a "compromise".
No bueno.
Oh and it used to be that when you resigned or got fired with a buttload of unused PTO they would pay you out, so you could count on some goodby cash. Guess what "unlimited PTO" eliminated? Good for the company, shitty for the employee.
Going the self employed route in the next couple months. I've played their permission game long enough and it's been good to me but my remaining seasons and personal time are getting fewer and fewer.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
10 vacation days, 1 personal day, up to 3 sick days in a calendar year.

Work/Life balance is what they preach but it’s fairly common to work 60-80 hours a week, so it’s pretty much just a facade they throw out there. I think I averaged around 75 hours a week the first 6 months of this year.

But when things are good, they’re real good. I can use 4 of my vacation days and get 16 days off. It really makes longer hunting trips nice. I’ve been at it for almost 7 years now and have been fortunate to make several trips out west and to Alaska each season and spend many days hunting whitetails at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
Man, some folks have a lot of vacation time. I’ve worked in sales and product management in the outdoor industry for 20 years, now in planning and management for a manufacturer in the outdoor industry. You’d think there’d be a lot of time off in an industry that touts being outside as a lifestyle, and Im sure there are companies like that, but of the companies I’ve worked for or with, none have even close to the time benefits many folks apparently have. Pretty standard fare for a salaried employee has been 5 paid sick days, 2-5 paid personal days, 5 federal holiday-days off, and zero paid vaca for the first year, then 2 weeks paid, and usually an extra 5 days (1 week) after each 4-5 years with the company, usually maxing at 4 weeks. Many companies don’t let any of it carry into the next year unless people haven’t been able to take it for a company-mandated reason, and in many cases it’s either not paid out at all or paid out at a low percentage if someone leaves. And while the industry is fairly informal in terms of many things, it’s still in business just like any other business and people work themselves to death just like anywhere else.
I took a new job about nine months ago, and negotiated for four weeks vacation time rather than for money. Still, it’s a very small company and when anyone person is out of the office everyone hurts for it. I’m The one responsible for making sure the company runs smoothly, so I have a hard time thinking I’ll be able to take four weeks off even if I try—Even being gone for two weeks is just about impossible without a few days checking in and getting some work done. I guess the benefit is being able to live and work in a place where I can walk out my door and be outside. If I had it to do all over again I might do a few things different, but I certainly wouldn’t live in a different place just to have a job with better benefits—If any of the above sounds salty, that’s not the case, just reflecting on it given the greater amount of time off some others have in this thread. I really do like what I do and consider myself very fortunate.

I can accrue 80 hours a year, plus bank up to 120 hours of OT into comp time if I can find coverage for my shifts. No limit to how many times I can fill my comp bank per year. Unfortunately with OT being insanely high right now, any comp time on weekends isn't likely to get approved. Also have one floating holiday plus sick time.

Fatcamp

WKR
My workplace is going to a max bankable of 320 hours versus 360. You would think the sky was on fire.

I work a 14 on 14 off schedule and get 280 hours of PTO which is 24 days , due to having to take 12hrs off per day

our days are 12hr shifts.

Can roll 80hrs and we are paid for what we dont/cant use

49ereric

WKR
Union equipment operator and in my local no vacation pay and no specific time off allowed.
dirt work is basically show up or canned.

CJohnson

WKR
I wish y’all could’ve put what your jobs were or at least what field they were in so I could be sending in some resumes.

dtrkyman

WKR
No such thing for me…but technically I have infinite time off, well at least until I run out of spending money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk