How Much PTO Do You Have?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
State government.
As of now:
240 hours vacation.
240 hours comp.
Pretty much take all of october/November off every year.

And work 4-10's from may to November......winter is busy.

Randy

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
I get about 20 weeks off each year. Probably sounds great, right?

Not all time off is equal though: I am a teacher so I get June, July and part of August off. But that does me almost no good as I am up to my eyeballs in work during hunting season. I would happily trade that 20 weeks for 6 six weeks that I could schedule to fit my needs.

We only get 3 personal days a year. We can carry them over to hold a maximum of 6 days. We also get 13 sick days a week. Those do carry over.

Worst of all: our calendars are set by the school board and you never know when they might decide to start school a couple of weeks earlier so that hunting season is completely blocked out.... like they did this year. Yep, despite the fact that the sent out 3 surveys asking the community for input, and all three surveys showed the greatest support for a later start date, they decided to have teachers report the day before sheep season starts.

I’m completely burned out. I told my principal that I won’t be available for the first week of work because I will be sheep hunting(mindless “teacher training” the week before school actually starts) and that I will be taking medical leave for a week to go moose hunting in September.

I am contractually forbidden from doing both, but my principal agreed to my demands because she knew that I was ready to walk.

So let this be a warning: not all PTO is created equal. If it can’t be scheduled to fit your life it is damn near worthless.

Unlimited. It’s our company policy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here…you only have to get your work done. We try not to abuse the policy but I’m in sales so if I’m killing my quota no one cares how much PTO I take.

Federal employee here currently.

Have 129 hours of annual
7 hours of credit
4 newly acquired hours from the USDA secretary
284 hours of sick leave

Salaried in manufacturing. Have “three weeks” which could mean anywhere from 100 to 180 hours depending on the week. Lol.

Can’t bank it, can’t sell it. But I do have a great deal of flexibility through the year, so I can save days for actual fully unplugged vacation. Had my phone on airplane mode for 8 straight days last year, and only a 1-way spot tracker for emergencies. Bliss.

Downside is supporting production and quality control in a 24/7 environment. So that flexibility is earned. 2am phone calls are not uncommon, and I’m looking for a way out.

BuzzH

WKR
240 carry over, plus 208/year and comp time usually another 100-140/year all federal holidays off as well.

Use everything over 240 during hunting season.

182 vacation/year , 200 comp this year, 1 floating holiday, federal holidays, and 4-10's April-mid september. Winter is pretty busy though.
I'm surprised how much PTO everyone is getting, I work for a state agency, in the private sector jobs I had it was 2 weeks a year, 3 after 5 years.

Tradchef

WKR
The most i ever saw at the restaurants and hotels was 1 to 2 weeks a year if you could do it. And that's on a good year. Now with staff shortages its crazy. You work every holiday regardless. I've always been happy with a 3 day weekend and my half day hunts. I couldn't imagine having all the time you all have. Like couldn't fathom it at all.

I get 32 days of PTO, 12 holidays, and couple development/volunteer days. Having that much PTO is the only reason I haven't left my company yet, as I know I can get more on the open market. Inflation has changed my mind though, so I'm about to be exploring the market.

360 is the max we are allowed to carry. I just hit 360 a while back. Cashed out 80 hours.

I currently earn 8.21 hours every 2 weeks. So I earn about 200 hours per year. Being that I’m a nurse, I can usually work my schedule where I can take 10-14 days off and only use 24 hours of PTO to do that. Last year i used a total of 84 hours of PTO but was able to take over 5 weeks vacation total. I almost always cash out 60-80 hrs per year and invest it.

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
Fed Government (DOI)

160 hours annually (can roll over up to 240)
104 hours of sick leave on top of that (unlimited roll over)
11 Federal Holidays
Every other Friday (movable) off

I get 17 days a year, accrued over each pay period. I think we can carry 10 days over our yearly allowable before the "use or lose it" policy sets in.

Side Note: Reading how many days some of you get makes me really want to find a new job...

arock

Lil-Rokslider
Comes out to something like (and it accrues over the year)
20 Vacation (can roll over a maximum of 5)
10 Sick (5 can be used as personal or wellness days and cannot carry more than 10 at a given time)
11 Holidays

And that is based on corporate title and seniority. Which sucks for entry level employees. I couldn't believe it wasn't the same across the board here. The more you know. No wonder why we have issues hiring entry level people. If someone told me 2 weeks of PTO I'd tell them to get bent. Though working in an industry that is desperate for people (Cyber Security) I guess affords a bit more wiggle room.