How much should I expect to pay?

OP
coyotecreek
If that’s all he did then you should have gotten at least $150 back. He could keep $50 for his labor for caping the head. Average tanning cost for a deer cape is about $60 and most deer manikin’s are about $60-$80. Eyes are about $12. Earliners are about $8. $200 should have been enough to pay for tanning and buy the supplies. Sounds like a bad expierence and I’m glad you got your cape back.

I’m getting out of the Taxidermy business. My turn around time is way too long because my main business is meat processing and we have been swamped since Covid hit. I work 10 hours then another 4-5 every night and all weekend trying to get mounts done. I’m burned out and even called my customers to see if they wanted to use someone else because I’m so far behind. They all agreed to have me finish the work and I have all the tanning paid for and in the freezer with all the manikin’s at my shop waiting. Just a time thing now.
I knew that $150 was too much for the work he had done and I called him out on it. He just says that he charges out of state hunters $150 to cape a buck and clean the skull plate so that they can take it home to their taxidermist and hopefully avoid transporting CWD. If it was tanned it would have cost me $250. I am glad to have it back and I don’t blame you for wanting time for yourself. I teach and coach full time as well as build bows and run an archery shop on the side so I understand. Thanks for the info!

Very nice! Congrats!

I thought I was busy. My wife is a teacher and the things she has to do would drive me crazy. Everything is online now but trying to get back to some kind of hybrid learning for at least the grade schools.

OP
coyotecreek
Luckily I teach in a small high school (135 kids grade 9-12) and we have been in person since August, but have had some kids quarantined and learning online for short periods of time. I teach woodworking, drafting, and construction so online doesn’t work well for me! I’m currently coaching wrestling and coach golf, plus I have two teenage boys! Busy is all that I know! 12 years to retirement and counting! Thanks again!

OP
coyotecreek
The story keeps getting better. My original cape came back from the taxidermist like this.
56901E32-B351-4080-BCA3-27BF2855D0E9.jpeg
So he ruined my cape and charged me $150 to not work on my mount! Luckily the cape from the buck that I shot this year came back from the tannery in good shape. Less than a month after I took it to the “real” taxidermist.

He didn’t take proper care of your cape at all. Looks like a spot that either wasn’t fleshed and salted or, a “hot” spot that caused bacteria to grow and caused the epidermis to slip.

I believe you stated earlier that you brought it to him frozen and all he did was finish caping and he froze it? He may have left it out of the freezer or cooler to long allowing the bacteria to grow.

OP
coyotecreek
I thought the same thing. Yes it was frozen when I brought it to him. He did finish caping the skull. I’m glad I had another cape. I’m also glad it’s out of his hands. I’ll post the finished product when I get it back. Likely this fall.

OP
coyotecreek
Great news! I just got a call that my deer is finished. I’ll be picking it up this weekend. He must have felt bad for me and moved me to the front of the line! I’ll post pics when I have him up on the wall.

Yep, that was fast! I take it he must have tanned and shaved the cape himself. I used to do that until I just had too many to do. Glad it’s worked out for you.

Good luck !! I am always concerned when a Taxidermist says he can do the job in 6 weeks. I once saw a sign in a Taxidermy studio: "Get it fast, get it done right, get it cheap- Pick one, the choice is yours"

All of my mounts (Deer, Elk, and Bear Rug) took almost a year for each, all came back perfect. I think what takes the most time is preparation of the hide and getting it back from the tannery. Since your cape was already prepared, you should be good. Waiting for the pictures of the mount!

OP
coyotecreek
Good luck !! I am always concerned when a Taxidermist says he can do the job in 6 weeks. I once saw a sign in a Taxidermy studio: "Get it fast, get it done right, get it cheap- Pick one, the choice is yours"

All of my mounts (Deer, Elk, and Bear Rug) took almost a year for each, all came back perfect. I think what takes the most time is preparation of the hide and getting it back from the tannery. Since your cape was already prepared, you should be good. Waiting for the pictures of the mount!
I'm picking it up tomorrow. The guy that did mine is amazing. He has done 3 deer and an antelope for me and his work is phenominal. I wish I had the original cape because that buck had a giant body. The cape that I had to use was from a December buck who was still a decent deer, but was run down from the rut. He'll probably make the antlers look bigger yet.

OP
coyotecreek
I’m not sure I like him where he’s looking at the wall, I may move things around. Any thoughts?
8D860F32-91A0-43E7-AE0B-A729E1F2C6A1.jpegD19306CA-A4A8-404E-AC0C-B7CE593296AE.jpeg

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
swap him and the mule deer....he would be looking more at where you are taking the picture from which I am assuming is the entrance to the room and muley being not turned as much would still look good.

I have a buck in almost the same pose I got mounted a couple years ago...love that pose.

WKR
He looks real good. My current guy is turning them in about 5 months total. Has all the work he wants and I am not sharing lol. I don't mount many anymore but that 2019 buck of yours would have been done up for sure. Great deer.

OP
coyotecreek
swap him and the mule deer....he would be looking more at where you are taking the picture from which I am assuming is the entrance to the room and muley being not turned as much would still look good.

I have a buck in almost the same pose I got mounted a couple years ago...love that pose.
Thanks guys, I swapped him with the mulie and it worked out great. I’m very happy.

remnar

FNG
Crazy quick there are sought after taxidermists in my area that are 2+ years out . If they will take your work .