How much snow to move old bucks?

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
Headed to colorado 3rd rifle and it looks like it will be mainly white! Not having hunted in the snow out west, How much snow will a old buck put up with? 18" 12" 6" ?
the weather looks great and hope to see a little rut activity by the end of the hunt. But no sure how high the old guys will still be hanging out

Marble

WKR
I dont think it is a specific amount. There can be slopes with 15" on the north sides and south slopes with 2 to 3". If you can see areas where they can still feed, see animals on the hill, or the morning after a fresh snow see tracks criss crossing the hill,then you know you're in a good spot.

With good glass you should be able to see tracks and sometimes see tracks going into a particular group of trees.

mcseal2

WKR
We saw a few bucks acting a little rutty during 2nd in CO. Nothing major when we were there but I think you might see more action. Young bucks were sparring and sniffing around does that just ignored them. Saw one 3pt do the whole lip curl and follow a doe with his nose right up her backside. Had a young 4pt snort and shake his head at us when we watched him as he wanted to cross the road we were blocking. He had a little attitude started. We also saw a couple bucks Sat and Sunday that I don't think we would have seen when and where we did without pre-rut moving them around.

Interesting question and one I've been wondering about myself.
In my observations they can withstand a lot of snow. I've had several seasoned "old" hunters tell me that mature bucks stay up high until their oysters drag in the snow.
I've seen that in western wyo but in the unitas in northern UT the bucks seem to begin moving down the first week of oct regardless of snow level.
My hypothesis is that the move is in response to the first hard frost and resulting change in the forbs/shrubs they are eating.
It would be really interesting to know what is observed in other states like Colorado, Idaho, Montana etc.
Deer in southern UT and the strip in Arizona move much farther than just down in elevation and there isn't that much snow down there...

Loco4dux

WKR
Also headed to CO for a 3rd season hunt and curious (1st time). The guy I talked to at CPW seemed adamant they will be high as possible and that they haven't received enough snow.

I'm talking SW Colorado... I'm interested in what others have to say about this.

hersh2209

Lil-Rokslider
I can speak for Central Colorado we have had a lot of snow this past 10 days and cold weather.. over 2ft. Up high above timberline.. I don't think there are many deer above Timberline from my experience. Saw this good buck with three other smaller bucks still in a bachelor group 5 days ago at an elevation of about 9000 feet. it had been storming for two days. they were out at 3 p.m. eating sagebrush and browse after the storm broke... good luck 3rd season hunters!

Attachments

• 20191024_154206.jpg
    20191024_154206.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 130

Jimss

WKR
A lot depends upon the particular unit or area you are talking about. Some bucks stay in the same general vicinity year round while others may migrate 50 miles to winter range/rutting areas. As an example, some bucks in NW Colo sage-rimrock country may winter in the same vicinity as they are all summer. There are hay meadow bucks scattered across Colo that spend the summer and winter in the same area.

Generally speaking Colo higher elevation alpine bucks head into the trees after they shed their velvet. They often disappear from their treeline haunts where they've been all summer and early fall. They are often are alone or in small bachelor groups in seclusion until deep snow and/or the rut kicks in.

While younger bucks may spend more time with does during early rut (3rd and 4th rifle seasons), mature bucks may only spend limited time with does at night...especially in units with OTC elk hunters and lots of hunters. This is obviously different on lightly hunted private land.

Where I've spent time in Eagle County the MAJORITY of deer don't show up in the winter ranges until deep snow pushes them down. The 2nd rifle season can be a super rough time to find deer! Many of those deer migrate 10 to 30+ miles and are spread out over vast areas. Mature bucks in that area often don't come out of deep, dark, secluded areas until super deep snow drives them down. To complicate things, all the OTC elk hunters often push a lot of game onto large private land parcels throughout Colo.....they've been hunted or spooked pretty hard from early archery season through October and know where they are safe!

With that said, it really helps to have experience in the particular unit you plan on hunting.....during the time of year you are hunting. There actually aren't too many years with prime, deep snows to drive deer out of the rough terrain and deep timber. Maybe this year is the year? Good luck!

ColoradoV

WKR
This year in central Colorado I also can also attest that this year anyway this is enough. 2+ feet of snow many places above 11k.

Snow machines / split boards are getting used and ski areas are opening early.. Seeing bucks show up daily around my house and saw a group of 7 swollen up guys starting to posture a bit... -16 was the temp....

Going to be a interesting 3rd season..

Also headed to CO for a 3rd season hunt and curious (1st time). The guy I talked to at CPW seemed adamant they will be high as possible and that they haven't received enough snow.

I'm talking SW Colorado... I'm interested in what others have to say about this.
Deer live at all elevations of Colorado. Your cpw officer makes it sound like they are all herded up at the top of all the 14ers.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Block

WKR
Where I've spent time in Eagle County the MAJORITY of deer don't show up in the winter ranges until deep snow pushes them down. The 2nd rifle season can be a super rough time to find deer! Many of those deer migrate 10 to 30+ miles and are spread out over vast areas. Mature bucks in that area often don't come out of deep, dark, secluded areas until super deep snow drives them down. To complicate things, all the OTC elk hunters often push a lot of game onto large private land parcels throughout Colo.....they've been hunted or spooked pretty hard from early archery season through October and know where they are safe!

This is similar to what Iv seen in Cali and what I’d GUESS happens in a lot of states. They may not fully migrate to winter range until there’s heavy snow,,, but with the high food dying + 90% of the pressure being road hunters at the top, a lot of bucks dive off a few thousand feet into the nasty thick oak canyons where very few people can or will go by mid Oct...

I know a guy who hunts and kills big bucks pretty regularly in Wyoming. He told me that the GIANT bucks are the last deer to leave the mountain. He said he has seen those big bucks still up there when he is snowmobiling in 4 feet of snow wading through it. He says everything leaves the mountain before the true monsters come down.

Hes the real deal, so I believe him.

Jimss

WKR
Some of the biggest bucks I've seen in my life are found in housing developments and other properties where they know they are safe from hunters!