How much space do elk need?

Rob5589

WKR
So, I have been living on OnX and Google Earth scouring my chosen zone. I have found what I believe to be some promising areas; water/feed/cover, up the mountain. Problem is, everyone else is finding the same locations. Trying to think outside the box, I have located some small pockets of timber that have springs (per the maps) so likely some feed as well. Some are as small as 700 yds by 300 yds, some are around a mile by 500'ish yds. They are also lower elevation and closer to private farm lands. My question is; are these areas likely to hold animals? By animals, I mean cow or bull as I will shoot either.

It would be unusual to an elk(bull or cow) to stay in such a small spot.
And by small, a milex500 yards is tiny.

I think if the conditions are good, they’ll visit such areas, but not ‘hold’ elk.

Maybe it’s area dependent, but the elk I chase in 4 different units, basically don’t stop moving.

Sled

WKR
They probably are using more terrain than you are looking at. What you're seeing is good daytime cover for them.

Depending on the time of year it may hold elk. Closer to winter that is.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on the area you hunt. I found elk in some dry areas in AZ and NM that most would overlook as elk country... Killed bulls in sagebrush and juniper cover, most folks always look to the mountains...

cgasner1

WKR
Caught elk multiple times in spots like that they get pushed into there from pressure or a rag horn steals a cow or three and is hiding you just never know where they will be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
This bull lives in an area very similar to what you are mentioning. Triangle shaped with Main roads in three sides and Crappy roads in the middle. This camera is 100 yards from one of the middle roads, you could literally shoot across the entire area this bull lives all summer and winter. He ruts in an area near there that is all private.
This is a OTC unit that is one of the top 3 most pressured units in the state. There are about 20 other bulls that live in the same small area. About 2 miles and triangle shaped maybe a mile across at the widest 95BD6D91-BA66-4C3F-89BB-E2B478044460.png

I'd say yes those areas definitely could hold elk. I'm always looking for those "overlooked" pockets. And have killed elk in those "overlooked" pockets ;) best thing is you'll know pretty quick if elk are holding or "passing thru" and if it's worth hunting or not.

Sled

WKR
This bull lives in an area very similar to what you are mentioning. Triangle shaped with Main roads in three sides and Crappy roads in the middle. This camera is 100 yards from one of the middle roads, you could literally shoot across the entire area this bull lives all summer and winter. He ruts in an area near there that is all private.
This is a OTC unit that is one of the top 3 most pressured units in the state. There are about 20 other bulls that live in the same small area. About 2 miles and triangle shaped maybe a mile across at the widest View attachment 195757

We have a herd down in the city that thousands of people drive past each hour of the day. Very few know they are even there. Tight quarters but no buildings in the area and no hunting in the city.

Elk are gregarious. The make loops. No spot holds elk for more than a few days. So pick about 30 spots and make your milk run. Then make it again. Good luck pilgrim.