How much time do you devote to hunting?

Squincher

WKR
I don't generally start to do anything about hunting until fall, then make whatever purchases I need for the next season over the rest of the winter after the season is closed. Between trapshooting and motorcycles, most of my time and all of my money is tied up during the spring and summer. I'm quickly getting the idea western big game hunting is pretty much a year round operation, between research, applying for tags etc. It seems like going on guided hunts is the only way to get to hunt on any kind of regular basis without devoting most of your time all year, every year. Am I wrong?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It seems like going on guided hunts is the only way to get to hunt on any kind of regular basis without devoting most of your time all year, every year. Am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong. Most of us obsess over hunting year round because that's who we are......hunters. But realistically, I could go the entire year without doing anything hunting related and then pick up my bow and an OTC elk tag the day I head up and be good to go.

Since I started getting serious about hunting a few yrs ago my motorcycle just sits in the corner collecting dust. I it was worth anything I'd just sell it.
Figure I can ride when I'm old and fat, but hunting is alot harder old and fat.

I spend quite a bit of time in general on hunting related things. I don't get to hunt as much as I would like though. That dang job thing holds me back.

Squamch

WKR
I'm on hunting forums daily if I have down time.
I think about hunting or listen to hunting podcasts while I work. Also while I drive to and from work. I shoot sporting clays, because it's the most similar to wing shooting.
I go to the gym and listen to hunting podcasts, while working to be in better shape for hunting season.
I work on my trucks, so they will be better suited to hunting.

I also spend time with my wife and son...but we usually go hiking once a week, and my 2.5 year old son learned to track last weekend following horse tracks.

So...I spend some time dedicated to hunting.

Year round for me. Everyday I’m either researching through reading or planning thoughts out in my mind towards the next adventure. Now that I’ve moved back East I’m excited bringing the skills I learned west and using those towards eastern big woods hunting. Hunting or backpack camping for me at least scratches the itch of the things I enjoyed in the service but on my own terms.

My year is planned as follows,

March- May shed hunting/ coyotes, spring gobbler, trout opener.

June- Aug lots of boating and camping/ river, lake fishing, Hiking/summer scouting for deer and bear, shooting my bow a whole bunch and practicing with the firearms.

Aug-Oct hopefully getting out west for elk/ scouting deer and bear again and narrowing the ‘spots‘ down, squirrel hunting/grouse

Oct-Dec Whitetail / Black Bear hunts

Christmas- March 1st Maybe a winter hike here or there.

All this will be between getting time off of course. More of a mental calendar.

Too much!

When I have free time regardless of the time of year I am always researching and e-scouting. Keeps me out of real trouble I guess. It's a miracle I am still married!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

150plusB&C

Lil-Rokslider
January and February I run rabbit dogs every opportunity or scout for deer.

March April May is turkey hunting, scouting and crappie fishing.

June July August I run dogs and train for elk season

September is spent out west chasing elk

October November December I’m chasing whitetails in 3 states.

My poor wife ain’t got a prayer. She supports me in every way except financially. That’s my job. She just understands that I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t.

I obsess about hunting 24/7/365.

Donnie Vincent - says it best. YouTube
“Who we are”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spend a couple hours a day reading and researching hunting, but also ride my dirt bike or surf once or twice a week. I can leave work and be on the trails in less than an hour instead of going home.

I've solo camped/hunted four times since Dec. 29.

Oregon

WKR
Tomorrow will make 103 days of hunting since last March 1st, actually toting a rifle or shotgun. From 3 hour duck hunts to 10 day big game hunts.
So the question of how much time I devote to hunting?? Answer, obviously not quite enough. I’ll do better this coming year.

Jbake108

FNG
Winter. Duck hunting
Spring. Fishing/spring bear
Summer. Fishing/camping/scouting
Fall. Hunting
From September to February I ain’t home a lot on the weekends. An obsession is an understatement. I trade family time, friendships, other hobbies (sold my crotch rocket 2 yrs ago) (haven’t been snowboarding in 3 yrs) (sold my wakeboard boat 5 yrs ago).
Between getting ready for hunting ( training dog, gear, shooting, boat), work and family time I get four weeks of vacation and weekends to actually get out there. Its on my mind everyday it’s gotta be similar to being a junkie.

OP
S

Squincher

WKR
Yes, you're wrong. Most of us obsess over hunting year round because that's who we are......hunters. But realistically, I could go the entire year without doing anything hunting related and then pick up my bow and an OTC elk tag the day I head up and be good to go.

I'm just getting started looking into non-resident tags. Do I understand correctly a non-resident is also able to get an OTC elk rifle tag in Colorado fairly easily? A lot of the state websites are proving pretty difficult to figure out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm just getting started looking into non-resident tags. Do I understand correctly a non-resident is also able to get an OTC elk rifle tag in Colorado fairly easily? A lot of the state websites are proving pretty difficult to figure out.

Colorado does have OTC Elk 2nd and 3rd rifle tags for some units. You just have to know which units are OTC and which are draw.