How much to tip

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Tip whatever you want. I will say though that in the last 5 years tips have really gone up. A 1k tip was really rare 5-10 years ago. Now it’s common.

I am in the fish business as an owner/operator I don’t expect anything, or even offer a guideline like others do. But folks really like to tip.

bozeman

WKR
Glory- I can see why you would get 'good' tips with that approach.....I've never understood the mentality of 'hunt or fishing trip cost XXX amount and tip is usually around XX% (wink wink). I just look elsewhere. Appreciate the transparency in your post.

Reactions: Ope

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
So, if you guys were using an outfitter for a outfitted hunt, but not guided, would you still tip? Owner is the pilot, as well as the guy that drops off all your equipment. I used to think if the owner was doing the work, I wouldn't consider tipping, but for some reason I feel like I should tip. I already paid a bunch for the hunt and all of it goes to the owner already. Curious on others' opinions

Brooks

WKR
A lot of guys show up to hunt and have deep pockets and don’t mind tipping for something they really enjoyed.

MattB

WKR
Serious question. If you’re going off of a % then obviously the more expensive the hunt the more the guide gets tipped. A 6k elk hunt guide that worked his ass off gets $600, vs a 50k sheep hunt where the guide gets 5k. Assuming similar effort, days, etc how do you justify that?
Anecdotally, it seems like the 10% rule falls away at some point - $10K hunt cost?

keller

WKR
this is a tough call. where do you start where do you stop? should you tip your garbage man, auto mechanic, plumber,electrician,childs bus driver,school teacher,gas station attentant,sporting goods store employee,waiter ,waitress...etc they are all giving a service...some go above and beyond ..some dont

Rich M

WKR
Tips are like bonuses at work in that folks get attached to them and expect em no matter how hard they work.

Set reasonable expectations and figure on tipping x$x and work up or down from there. You can always ask the outfitter what an acceptible tip is for the guides.

As i get older, im less likely to tip well for halfass service and more likely to overtip for the good or better service. Km willing to bribe a guide too, you get me on xyz and its another $250, $500 cash in your pocket right then. Try me.

isu22andy

WKR
No one’s holding a gun to the guides head telling them they have to guide . If they don’t like the tips leave . Tip what you feels right .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brooks

WKR
I’ve been around guides and outfitters in the off season talking about the hunters that hunted with them the last season and the good tippers that were wanting to come back got the best dates and hunts. Just like in anything, money talks and BS walks.

Wvroach

WKR
My tips vary upon the service I receive. Fishing charters I have tipped an additional 100% of the trip cost for a 1 day charter, to nothing for a absolutely lazy captain that moaned the entire day, complaining of chop and past clients...

Mostly around %20 is where I stay.

I like doing guided trips fishing vs hunting. As a boat owner myself when I go out with friends etc I spend half my time directing my boat. It is nice to be able to sit back and have someone take care of that and relax. I expect to compensate them for that. I've got my 6pack but don't use it yet, whenever I get the time to start chartering my own trips I won't expect a tip but it will be greatly appreciated if the client feels I earned it.

Southeast

FNG
I work as part time as an upland guide and get tips of $75-550 per day on hunts that cost about $4000 per day for a group of 4. These clients are also typically leaving a smaller tip for the housekeeping and cooking staff. I work just as hard for those I know will tip less as I do for those that are known to be very generous. At our place anyway, if you do a good job it all averages out well in the end. We have lots of people who have been coming annually for a decade or more so it must be working.

When it's my turn to tip someone I definitely "pay it forward". Waitresses, baristas, air transporters, delivery people, cabbies, fishing guides - I try to take care of them very well if their service is up to standard.

Pretend you were the guide…….would you hope to get tipped based on your efforts?

I have tipped the guide, the owner of the outfitter who was my guide and all the support staff in between. I start at 10% of the hunt cost (yes even on a $30k hunt or a $500 fishing trip, I start at 10%) and go up or down based on the effort. I have stiffed a guide and I have given 30%. All just depends on how I feel they did.

It may be an “industry standard” but it is not a requirement. As mentioned above however, those that tip well will almost always have first bids on best dates, will be invited back, or given great recommendations for other outfitters to hunt with if chasing a different animal the current outfitter doesn’t offer.

Last edited:

Sizthediz

WKR
Curious as to what would you tip for semi guided hunts.
Some stands up, given a map of property with location of stands , may tell you what prevailing wind is for next day but for most part you are on your own?

Curious as to what would you tip for semi guided hunts.
Some stands up, given a map of property with location of stands , may tell you what prevailing wind is for next day but for most part you are on your own?
Unless this included some help with packing out the animal or skinning and quartering I wouldn’t tip at all. You are simply paying for land access in all honesty. As posted above I feel I am fairly generous. I don’t see this as being an opportunity one would need to tip unless the “semi-guided hunt guide” actually had boots on the ground and helped.

Last edited:

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Unless this included some help with packing out the animal or skinning and quartering I wouldn’t tip at all. You are simply paying for land access in all honesty. As posted above I feel I am fairly generous. I don’t see this as being an opportunity one would need to tip unless the “semi-guided hunt guide” actually had boots on the ground and helped.
What if it was a drop camp, that required an hour plane ride in and out, that the owner of the company was the pilot of.

MattB

WKR
this is a tough call. where do you start where do you stop? should you tip your garbage man, auto mechanic, plumber,electrician,childs bus driver,school teacher,gas station attentant,sporting goods store employee,waiter ,waitress...etc they are all giving a service...some go above and beyond ..some dont
Pretty simple really, tipping is a convention usually applied to certain positions in the hospitality industry, That would include waiters/waitresses and hunting guides. It would exclude garbage men, auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, bus drivers, school teachers, gas station attendants, and sporting goods store employees.

Q child

WKR
Can a guide on here answer this:
What if your client is awesome, but can't afford to tip generously? I'm talking the guy with a good attitude and a good work ethic and a willingness to listen to your advice. The guy who has saved and is on the hunt of a lifetime. The guy whose success you are genuinely invested in.
That has to be better than the rich guy who sucks but then hands you a couple grand right?
Maybe I'm naïve.

KineKilla

WKR
It's all in the experience. Yes, guides are doing this as a for profit endeavor but I have to imagine that the comradarie, relationships and experiences can be equally if not more rewarding.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk