How much water?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I try to drink a liter before I leave the truck in the am...2 liters in the pack will get me by...then another liter on the drive home and or with dinner...sometimes more

4ish liters a day for me

that's very close to my experience as well (again cooler weather)- down water on the drive up (or at camp if backpacking), 2 liters (tw one liter bottles) in my pack and drink again when I get back to camp or vehicle

a few micropur/aqua tabs if I need more when hunting, only occasionally have I had to do this

Used to carry 2 litres, then 3 and now 4L plus a Gatorade. Ran outta water twice, now I carry more than I think I'll drink. I drink regularly and if I'm not pissing, drink more. Hydration is my religion. You can always lighten the load once you know you're not gonna need it but you cannot always add water so better to be safe than sorry. Yes, it's a bit of a burden until just after the heat of the day and you realize you drank two litres already. I don't do this in places with plenty of places to refill, just some of the more desolate, waterless areas. Always carry a water filter. A Hiker Pro can get spring water out of a small crack in the rocks.

Mosby

WKR
One of the places I hunt in Colorado doesn't have water where I go. I started to carry 4-5 liters with me when I go there and I drink a liter before I leave the truck. When I took only a few liters, I found myself worrying and rationing my water during the course of the day, which is a mistake. I figured out that water isn't the place to save weight at altitude.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I carry a lot, probably more than I need to but I have skimped on water and had to drop like 2500 feet just to refill which sucked. Now if I head out for more than a day, I usually take along 7 liters. 3l in a platypus bag to drink while I hike and 2-2l platypus bags in the backpack. For me, I try to go lightweight on my gear in order to offset my heavy tent and my 15lbs of water.

chindits

WKR
There’s water everywhere in the mountains and sage basins I hunt. You just need to know where. Even backpacking the trail into my areas, the trail usually follows drainages. Crossing ridges you cross side draws. Around here, these places hold seeps or some might call them springs.

Usually 2 liters with aquamira drops in my pack or an inside pocket if it’s cold. I’ll drink from one hydraflask and keep the other empty until I’m running low. Then I’ll fill the empty flask and give aquamira 30 minutes to work. There’s no challenge in this so it might not be heavy enough for some.

Snyde

FNG
I usually carry between 1-3L depending on how long Im gonna be out and about. + Sawyer squeeze. Definitely drink quite a bit of water before going out.

lorsonts

FNG
I camel up in the morning before leaving the truck/camp, and usually get through most of the day on my 1L. However, the Sawyer squeeze weighs so little that I cant see why I wouldnt carry it and top off my 1L everytime I cross a stream.

The life straw works in a pinch as well, but not as easy in practice as a pump or Squeeze.

I usually set up camp near a good water source and drink to my heart's content when I am at camp. I hate carrying more than 1L on me though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Block

WKR
My summer archery in cali is early Aug and I hunt fairly low,,, it’s 90+ degrees during the day. I carry 6 liters + a frozen Gatorade and burn thru that in a day. Have to drop about 1000’ to refill which is NOT fun at the end of the day.