How much weight in the Avail 2200 without frame?

kpk

WKR
I already have a stone glacier frame and sky bag...but am curious about the weight hauling capability of the Avail when it's not strapped on a frame.

I'm mostly looking at the avail for daypack use in non-elk situations since it has some additional organization. Will I be able to stuff or strap deer/antelope quarters or bags of boned out a mile comfortably.

Poser

WKR
I don’t have that particular day pack, but frameless packs (which I have and use quite a bit backcountry skiing and climbing) start getting uncomfortable for most people around 25 lbs. there is some variance for your bodyweight, muscularity etc as well as the strap design. you can also “stiffen up” a frameless pack by packing it well and using a piece of foam etc, but the weight is still on your shoulders and not distributed to your hips. 35 lbs is probably the upper limit of what can be tolerated for hours at a time.

I use the avail everyday to carry all my work gear, I also have have a stone glacier frame, solo and 5500.

Most days I have about 10 lbs or just slightly over in the pack and it works fine for carrying my gear to and from the office.

I took it out last week and had about 6-8 lbs in it for a hike, no waste belt and was comfortable.

I wouldn’t want to carry a quarter in it on purpose. If I didn’t have the solo, I’d slap the avail to my frame and use the load shelf for quarters.

Also, If you’re carrying any amount of gear, rain gear, jacket, kill kit…., you’re not going to have much room for a quarter.

It’s a great day pack, just not for carrying a quarter without the frame.

Just my experience, hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kpk