How much wildgame does your family eat?

Rich M

WKR
My wife has dietary restrictions so I used to shoot up to 5 deer per year, usually 2 or 3.

Then we got into buying free range cows and she likes that meat better. Process them ourselves.

I still hunt but only really want 1 per year.

If we’re adding fish, maybe another 50-75 pounds. Im talking snapper, sea trout, reds, kingfish, etc. stuff we get. Cant wait to get some fresh water trout/salmon in a few years.

Me, my wife and 2 little girls (5 & 8) typically eat 2-3 deer, 50ish ducks, a couple turkeys, and a bunch of blue gill and doves. This year I shot an elk so I cut back on the deer. Other than chicken and bacon we don’t buy any meat and probably have wild game 4 nights a week. Other than an a handful of burgers at McDonalds, I’m not sure my kids have really had any red meat that wasn’t wild game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
We’re a family of three. Between the two farms Ohio allows me to harvest 6 deer a year plus waterfowl and upland birds. So with that and an out of state trip or two a year we eat mostly wild game. Biggest non wild game meals are pizza on fridays and any time the wife decides she wants to make something with chicken or we do a ham or prime rib roast on holidays. So probably 4-5 nights a week are wild game based meals.

Only the wife and I plus the dogs in the house. Lucky enough to have 2 elk, a moose, and tons of fish in our freezers. Wild game is on the menu every day that we aren't eating chicken.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
Last year we ended the season with 1 bull elk, 2 cow elk, 1 deer, 2 antelope, and 1 wolf backstrap in the freezer. It will all be gone by this september.

2 adults, 2 small children.
Why don't you shoot another deer if you're that hard up? Wolf backstrap?? You think the do gooders are watching your kitchen?

Marble

WKR
We go through one elk, at least a deer, lots of tuna and now wild pig.

We also slighter a lamb.

Only meat I get at the store is chicken occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
I don't buy meat from the store or butcher. My family has ate up to 3 and 4 deer a year with two kids at home. Now it's just my daughter and I with a freezer full of deer, pronghorn and elk. I grew up on venison and I've been truly blessed with a freezer full of venison my whole life. Matthew 6:31-34

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a deal worked out to where when I kill something I take to these people and they’ll jerky it and I get half the jerky and they keep the other half. Sure makes it nice when you get free beef. We’ll eat some deer/elk roasts and burger too, but not a ton.

We go through one elk, at least a deer, lots of tuna and now wild pig.

We also slighter a lamb.

Only meat I get at the store is chicken occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I try and head to the coast for offshore fishing at least once a year because i need tuna and dorado in the house

Btaylor

WKR
Still looking for a place to bowhunt free range chickens. If anybody knows of such, I am asking for your honey hole secret spot. Dont really need to know anything about the unit, least busy trailheads or what clothes to wear in Sept. Just need your onx pin and a time to meet. I will bring the kobeers.

My wife and I. Every year, 1 elk, 2 deer and 2-3 antelope. All processed at home. I wouldn’t dare take the meat I worked my tail off to get ever touch a processors blade.

Tradchef

WKR
Its just my girl and myself and the 3 mutts. We usually go through 1 elk, 3 to 5 deer a season and a turkey. Lots of trout and small game. I give some to neighboring farmers for helping us on our farmette with the tractors etc...and some of my guys and gals and work that sometimes dont eat the best and a few landowners that let me cross or hunt their properties

Tradchef

WKR
We also raise layer hens for eggs and raise meat birds for sale and us. Even though i have access to anything and everything in the culinary world we eat no beef, use pork sparingly and lamb and just have zero interest in poultry that's at the store. To me its always made sense way before Meateater made it cool to kill shit and eat it!!

someter82

Lil-Rokslider
Our family will eat 2 whitetail deer, a whole hog from Texas hunt and well over 200 waterfowl and another 200 or more doves/pigeons. Most will be gone the beginning of waterfowl season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mar

FNG
Family of 4 and all of us love venison. Last year, my 13 year old son and I got 3 whitetail bucks and a fallow doe. We have been going through it steadily and anticipate we will finish all of it by this November. I have been taking up the cooking duties more, trying new venison recipes and it has been fun.

KNOPHISH

FNG
As much as possible, elk and deer when successful with moose on occasion when lucky. Supplemented with plenty of seafood, salmon, halibut, crab, shrimp, clams and oysters. Small game of turkeys, grouse and waterfowl. Store bought hamburger is just gross.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Family of 5 (2 parents, 3 kids). We go through about 3 whitetail deer a year. Don't buy much beef, but we purchase bacon, chicken, and fish from costco mostly for other protein needs

Usually bring home some trout too a couple times a year.