How Much Would You Pay?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Well I married well, so I’m set ;) haha but in all seriousness I would pay double or triple what a resident pays in Co to hunt elk if it meant less crowding and reducing point creep. In a lot of units it’s not as much elk hunting as it is hunting other hunters pressure, same with deer. The couple of draw units I hunted on leftovers were great, actually feels like you are hunting that animal. I will hunt AZ and Wyo and Montana in the future, I won’t flinch at those prices. Im a NR there so I get that I have to pay more to play in their backyard and shouldn’t expect to do it every year.

Less

FNG
Well I married well, so I’m set ;) haha but in all seriousness I would pay double or triple what a resident pays in Co to hunt elk if it meant less crowding and reducing point creep. In a lot of units it’s not as much elk hunting as it is hunting other hunters pressure, same with deer. The couple of draw units I hunted on leftovers were great, actually feels like you are hunting that animal. I will hunt AZ and Wyo and Montana in the future, I won’t flinch at those prices. Im a NR there so I get that I have to pay more to play in their backyard and shouldn’t expect to do it every year.
It wouldn’t matter if you were willing to pay quadruple and buy 3 licenses for yourself. That won’t stop point creep or the growing number of hunters.

Bottom line is there is big money in the revenue that the sell of hunting license bring in for Colorado and Colorado government are well aware of that. It really doesn’t matter how many quit buying licenses because of cost or how many who has the ability to pay using the sky as the limit. The number of hunters are going to grow faster as time goes by. There will be 10 new hunters for every one hunter who decides to call it quits because of point creep and cost of licenses increase.

And just like GMU 80 and 81 they are going to have to take game management into consideration more and more as the number of hunters increase. And OTC Licenses will slowly but surely become a thing of the past. And the number of PP to draw units like GMU 80, 81 will increase. This year wasn’t it like 1 or 2 points to draw 80 or 81 ? 2 years from now it will take 3 to 4 points to draw 80 or 81. Was told they reduced the number of licenses from 4,800 to 1,500 in GMU 80, 81 through the draw this year. Anyone know it that is true or not ?

Zigggy

FNG
As a brand-new hunter, I was a little surprised at the price of out-of-state tags!

A story - I know a private landowner that has a huge piece of property with a large population of elk and mule deer. They do some invitation-only hunts where they invite selected guests, with the expected quid pro quo being a gift/donation to their charitable cause. I called last year and asked about coming down with my son, and, mentioned that I understood the expectation of making a gift. After some conversation, he told me that most of their recent guests had made 7 figure donations, and their (unwritten) expectation was at least $100k. Ouch...

Mosby

WKR
There is a limit for me. I stopped applying to most states. I'm going back to what I did growing up. Deer, pheasant, turkey and ducks. I like elk hunting and I still apply to Colorado but I can fill up my year hunting other game, have fun and not miss elk hunting at all.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I'm strictly an in-state meat hunter. I've hunted all my life and love it. Fortunately, I live in an elk state, but if harvesting wild game became more expensive for me than buying a beef, I would not be buying a tag.
And that is just the tag price. I'm perfectly fine with the time investment and dumping some money into quality gear. That's half the fun. But I can't stomach the prices of most out of state/guided hunts. That's the main reason I live where I live. Resident prices and lots of opportunity when I leave the front door.
I have considered putting in for Idaho moose, because I'd like to shoot another one and that would save me a lot of money from what I would spend going to Alaska. I'd also consider going to Canada and doubling up on black bear. Seems to be a pretty good value. Other than that if I'm going to invest thousands of dollars into a hunt, give me a high fence or pretty much 100% opportunity (red stag in Argentina??)

Poser

WKR

Double or triple? A NR elk tag is currently more 10x the cost of a resident tag.

Poser

WKR

Double or triple? A NR elk tag is currently more 10x the cost of a resident tag.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yep, I’m a resident born and raised here. I’d pay several times more if it meant less pressure. I think they should raise the prices to 15x or 20x for non residents, if you don’t like it, don’t hunt every year or move to Co and become a resident. It’s silly that NR expect to hunt Co every year like it’s their right.

Hnthrdr

WKR
It wouldn’t matter if you were willing to pay quadruple and buy 3 licenses for yourself. That won’t stop point creep or the growing number of hunters.

Bottom line is there is big money in the revenue that the sell of hunting license bring in for Colorado and Colorado government are well aware of that. It really doesn’t matter how many quit buying licenses because of cost or how many who has the ability to pay using the sky as the limit. The number of hunters are going to grow faster as time goes by. There will be 10 new hunters for every one hunter who decides to call it quits because of point creep and cost of licenses increase.

And just like GMU 80 and 81 they are going to have to take game management into consideration more and more as the number of hunters increase. And OTC Licenses will slowly but surely become a thing of the past. And the number of PP to draw units like GMU 80, 81 will increase. This year wasn’t it like 1 or 2 points to draw 80 or 81 ? 2 years from now it will take 3 to 4 points to draw 80 or 81. Was told they reduced the number of licenses from 4,800 to 1,500 in GMU 80, 81 through the draw this year. Anyone know it that is true or not ?
It was 0 points to draw 80/81 this year, bunches of tags hit the second draw and leftover list… all the texans and okies can fight over spots down there lol. I love it in 80 and will likely buy some property down there in a few years myself. But it’s 5 hours from home currently, I’ve killed a bull there but I can hunt great spots closer to home. The money numbers aren’t as big as you think that residents need to make up to cover NR dollars. I need to find the guy, but a member here broke down the finances and It was making resident tags like 150 for elk would cover the loss of NR money if they went to 85% 15% R/NR split for all units. Yes pressure is crazy, yes all units need to be draw units. Yes NR tags need to get limited at a more reasonable rate. If you want to hunt elk every year here, pony up move here. If not don’t expect to hunt every year. I don’t expect to hunt Wyo, MT, or Az every year. Hell my family owns 800 acres in AZ and I have access to thousands and thousands of private down there don’t expect to hunt there every year.

Poser

WKR
Yep, I’m a resident born and raised here. I’d pay several times more if it meant less pressure. I think they should raise the prices to 15x or 20x for non residents, if you don’t like it, don’t hunt every year or move to Co and become a resident. It’s silly that NR expect to hunt Co every year like it’s their right.

Ah, I follow now