How Much Would You Pay?

Bugle2me

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2020
Messages
23
I did not hesitate a couple years ago when I dropped almost $1400 for a special license and archery validation in Wyoming. I would do it again. But I’d would have to depend on where I was hunting as to how much I’d pay. And I most likely would not pay that to more then 1 state a year.
 

Mosby

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2015
Messages
1,405
I have a limit. Not sure what it is but I'll know it when I see it.
 

Brillo

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2021
Messages
42
Location
West Michigan
I am already choking on the cost and I am going DIY. The tag is only a part of the cost. The good news for all of you is that if I do not experience that elk rush you all know and love then I will not go again. There are always alternatives.
 

Gerbdog

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2020
Messages
378
Location
CO Springs
I'm certainly lucky to have in state tag prices, and i will admit i look at out of state prices and kind of go "nah not this year" but we will see if i ever draw NM again, some locations, some states, if i ever win the lottery i know i'd pay the price tag
 

Northpark

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2015
Messages
609
I have a limit. MT has already passed it for me. Why? Because I a.) live in an elk state and can hunt for a reasonable price in high quality elk areas, b.) if I am going to drop $1200+ on a tag I will go hunt free range exotics in west Texas or the hill country and shoot multiple animals and have a ranch to myself for a high quality (not crowded) hunting experience. I would pay as much as my wife would let me for a sheep or goat tag though. Adventure and a high quality hunt are worth some $$$ for me.
 

Dos Perros

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2015
Messages
2,643
Location
Lenexa, KS
This is really a philosophical question more than it is an economic one.

The household median income in Kansas is something like ~$55k a year, and ~$75k a year in my town. I perceive that the incremental cost difference in "cheap" elk tags vs "expensive" elk tags is not significant compared to these annual income levels. For example, a delta of $1000 is less than 2% of $55k. 2% is not very much. Any dude or gal here has the agency and control of their own lives to put together another 2% if they needed to. I'd argue they could even do 4%. The number that would become unreachable is so high that it's not worth discussing because it seems incredibly unlikely that elk tags would get that relatively expensive.
 

Bobbyboe

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2016
Messages
456
Elk tags are darn close already. I paid $1300 last year for a LE tag in WY. I wouldn’t pay that for a general unit, not a chance.

what’s my limit? I’m not sure, but I’d have a real hard time paying $2000, even for a top trophy unit.

In all reality, I’d probably pay the price, but only hunt every other year. Or I’d strictly hunt deer. I can’t believe my wife tolerates the amount I spend out west now!
 

ElkNut1

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
2,127
Location
Idaho
Good question! My first inclination was pay whatever, but in reality I'm sure I would approach a ridiculous amount to me limit. Not sure what that is? I'm retired so I don't have anything else to do with my money! (grin)

I'm sure no matter what I'd hunt elk every year even if it meant calling for others that had a tag, preferably OTC! A guy needs a challenge!

ElkNut
 

bowhuntrben

Senior Member
Joined
May 1, 2017
Messages
201
Location
Minnesota
I want to add that though I don’t see a limit where I wouldn’t get a tag in the future, I do feel limited enough that buying a second tag is a bit much. Was thinking of picking an easy to draw unit as a fourth choice in CO this year for a cow B tag then pick up the basically unlimited bull tag later. I’m finding it a bit difficult to stomach the extra $500+ to be able to shoot a cow if that’s what I see after spending $700 for a bull tag.
 

mavinwa2

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2018
Messages
377
Location
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Retired and trying to stay within a budget. I'm no forner CEO, ambulance chaser or med doctor. Just average guy, change my own vehicle oil etc. Reached an age with time, some $$ to pursue archery deer & elk in other states.

Utah has hit my limit on an elk tag at $1000, tag only. Add other requirements, costs to apply.
 
Top