How Much Would You Pay?

cnelk

WKR
I cringed just a little when I applied for a $700 Type 4 Wyoming tag this year.

I didnt cringed one bit when I applied for a $1300 Special Wyoming tag for the Bighorns last year

But... based on the amount of people in the elk woods anymore, I dont think the cost ceiling is even in sight

Fullfan

WKR
For something that I enjoy doing, I guess no limit. Chasing elk let’s me spend time with my so . I was fortunate to have a great career that paid well, also let me retire at 49. My son chose the same path, so spending a lil more for a tag increase is nothing for us.

Been buying points in multiple states out west for 5 years now. Hunted elk 2x. Just got priced out for first time in Utah. Was buying points for all species there, but since they increased app fees and license this yr, I decided it wasn't worth it to spend 30+ yrs chasing a goat. Sheep, or moose tag. Ill take that $60 in app fees each yr and put it towards elk or deer elsewhere. Itll take a lot to price me out of elk.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I obviously have some sort of limit now, otherwise I'd have a LO voucher in hand every year in multiple states. But it really does come down to the "where" in regards to upper limits. The experience has more value to it than the kill and a mount, so eventually who knows. I might just be out there with my bugle tube and without my bow at some point. I can get the same value in the experience without actually shooting one........for FREE.

I don't know that there would be a hard limit for me to hunt elk at least once a year. But considering that I live in an elk state and pay very little for my chance to hunt elk once every year, I'm much more picky on non-resident elk hunts. It's got to be a decent tag for me to buck up the money to pay non-resident prices. I think that opinion would differ if I didn't live in an elk state. I'd probably pay $2k-$3k for an OTC tag just to get to go every year. It pays to live in an elk state, that's for sure.

S.Clancy

WKR
I think people's ceilings are going to change when the stock market takes a dump and most sections of the economy contract. The woods were pretty empty from 2008 thru 2012. When people are more worried about mortgages/car payments/etc. demand for tags is going to decrease.

Personally I'm pretty close to that limit now, and I suppose it's the main reason I didn't start elk hunting until I was 45. I just couldn't justify the expense before then.

I have started focusing more on mule deer because to me, it's the same basic hunting/outdoor experience at 2/3 the cost and a lot more packable critter.

mlgc20

WKR
At this point in my life, I am only about hunting with my daughters (14 & 10). The past few years, I have gotten tags for my oldest and then I would get one for myself as well (when I could). Not sure why. This season, she got a cow in Colorado. But I was so excited for that, I didn't really care that I still had a bull tag. So this year, I will just get her a tag, and I will get preference points. With the cost where it is, there just really isn't any reason for me to also get a tag.

swes64

FNG
Price paid will long be forgotten after satisfaction of purchase. Life is about expereineces and there isn't always a next time (next year).

I am fortunate enough to go on two 2 week elk hunts every year. I have the vacation time and finances to do it and I will continue. It may come to the point where it's only one hunt, depending on what it is and especially, my dads health.

I'm don't think the supply and demand rules of the free market should be applied to the tags. Not that anyone had suggested it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I agree, Ya the sting of the cost hurts at first but the experiences will last a life time and stories to tell at hunting camp the next year.

Times have gotten tight, so my plan is to leave the bow at home and take new hunters out this year. After all, if I'm showing them how to do it, their success is my success.

Maverick1

WKR
Are you implying that some unscrupulous individuals would consider weighing the cost of obtaining a tag versus the cost of the fine(s) for hunting without a license?

204guy

WKR
All about priorities. Comparably to other recreation hunting elk is still pretty cheap if you make it so. I dont know what my limit is other than it would vary based on the tag.

nobody

WKR
To me, I feel the maximum amount I would pay for the tag is directly tied to the perceived trophy potential as well as the level of adventure involved. The maximum that I would personally paid varies depending on the unit and season the hunt is held in.

For me, I would give a good chunk of change to hunt the Gila during the rut at some point in my life, but I wouldn't give the same amount of money to hunt an OTC tag in Idaho. I would do some unspeakable things if I could pull an Afognak Island elk tag, but there's no way I would pony up that kind of money to hunt in Colorado.

This isn't to say I wouldn't ever hunt Idaho or Colorado, but I wouldn't pay the same for them as other opportunities. The important thing is to prioritize and understand exactly what you're paying for when you go after a tag, and then have realistic expectations for your hunt. If the hunt doesn't meet your expectations, reevaluate for the future and move onto the next one.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with a couple who have brought up value. Live in AZ with really good elk hunting. I can not bring my self to drop 600 plus on a Colorado elk tag where I might not even see an elk. And if I do it probably wont be over 250. I can shoot 250's every year in AZ. And yes its possible to get a tag every year if your not picky.

Ralphie

WKR
As a resident of an elk state I’m probably pretty close to already being priced out of the market for other states. Actually I guess I am since I don’t hunt elk out of state already.

Given some other trade offs I’d actually happily pay a little more for my resident tag.

To some people elk hunting, just like deer hunting for others, is a way of life. I guess the word is priorities. If you have a passion for something, or a downright addiction then you’ll find a way to make it happen right? Where there’s a will there’s way. So for the guys in it for the long the question never comes up “To elk hunt next year or not?”

I shake my head when I click the submit button for a $1300 elk tag. But it never crosses my mind if I should reconsider paying that kind of money. What am I going to do.... not elk hunt! Pfft yeah right!
Hit the nail on the head here. The price is what it is. I’m going regardless. And I don’t make that much money (22 years old). It would have to get to a crazy number for me to think twice. ($2500?).
My dad and I both live for that trip every October. I’m 22 and I’ve gone 10 times. My dad has gone that last 26? Years straight. Whether he had a tag or not (been building points. 22? Now)

If you went back in time 10 years and asked people if they would pay $70K for a pickup truck, I bet they would say no way. Everything is going to get more expensive as time passes, elk tags included.

I live in an elk state so I'm blessed to be able to get a cheap (if not great) tag every year. It would have to go up from $50 to $2-300 before i would even think twice about not buying a tag every year.

I might pony up $2000 for an out of state elk tag once in my life, especially to hunt with friends who live in the Rockies (or for an oryx tag).