How Much Would You Pay?

Bugle2me

FNG
I did not hesitate a couple years ago when I dropped almost $1400 for a special license and archery validation in Wyoming. I would do it again. But I’d would have to depend on where I was hunting as to how much I’d pay. And I most likely would not pay that to more then 1 state a year.

Mosby

WKR
I have a limit. Not sure what it is but I'll know it when I see it.

Brillo

FNG
I am already choking on the cost and I am going DIY. The tag is only a part of the cost. The good news for all of you is that if I do not experience that elk rush you all know and love then I will not go again. There are always alternatives.

Gerbdog

WKR
I'm certainly lucky to have in state tag prices, and i will admit i look at out of state prices and kind of go "nah not this year" but we will see if i ever draw NM again, some locations, some states, if i ever win the lottery i know i'd pay the price tag

Northpark

WKR
I have a limit. MT has already passed it for me. Why? Because I a.) live in an elk state and can hunt for a reasonable price in high quality elk areas, b.) if I am going to drop $1200+ on a tag I will go hunt free range exotics in west Texas or the hill country and shoot multiple animals and have a ranch to myself for a high quality (not crowded) hunting experience. I would pay as much as my wife would let me for a sheep or goat tag though. Adventure and a high quality hunt are worth some $$$ for me.

This is really a philosophical question more than it is an economic one.

The household median income in Kansas is something like ~$55k a year, and ~$75k a year in my town. I perceive that the incremental cost difference in "cheap" elk tags vs "expensive" elk tags is not significant compared to these annual income levels. For example, a delta of $1000 is less than 2% of $55k. 2% is not very much. Any dude or gal here has the agency and control of their own lives to put together another 2% if they needed to. I'd argue they could even do 4%. The number that would become unreachable is so high that it's not worth discussing because it seems incredibly unlikely that elk tags would get that relatively expensive.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Elk tags are darn close already. I paid $1300 last year for a LE tag in WY. I wouldn’t pay that for a general unit, not a chance.

what’s my limit? I’m not sure, but I’d have a real hard time paying $2000, even for a top trophy unit.

In all reality, I’d probably pay the price, but only hunt every other year. Or I’d strictly hunt deer. I can’t believe my wife tolerates the amount I spend out west now!

ElkNut1

WKR
Good question! My first inclination was pay whatever, but in reality I'm sure I would approach a ridiculous amount to me limit. Not sure what that is? I'm retired so I don't have anything else to do with my money! (grin)

I'm sure no matter what I'd hunt elk every year even if it meant calling for others that had a tag, preferably OTC! A guy needs a challenge!

ElkNut

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I want to add that though I don’t see a limit where I wouldn’t get a tag in the future, I do feel limited enough that buying a second tag is a bit much. Was thinking of picking an easy to draw unit as a fourth choice in CO this year for a cow B tag then pick up the basically unlimited bull tag later. I’m finding it a bit difficult to stomach the extra $500+ to be able to shoot a cow if that’s what I see after spending $700 for a bull tag.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Retired and trying to stay within a budget. I'm no forner CEO, ambulance chaser or med doctor. Just average guy, change my own vehicle oil etc. Reached an age with time, some $$ to pursue archery deer & elk in other states.

Utah has hit my limit on an elk tag at $1000, tag only. Add other requirements, costs to apply.

Less

FNG
For me the quality of hunting in general has really went downhill. My opinion it is because of population growth in the number of hunter’s that has caused severe over crowding. Which causes a lot of problems that takes away the joy of hunting. The cost that it take’s to hunt about anything from small game to big game just isn’t worth it to me.

I am pretty much done with it mainly because of my age (61) If it weren’t for the PP I have now for Elk. I would be perfectly content not to ever go back to hunt them now. And accumulating PP is something I wouldn’t never do again either. Because the rules tend to change with time on them. I have 14 PP now. 10 years ago those PP could have got me in GMU’s that now takes 16 or 17 PP to get in those same GMU’s
And the cost of acquiring a PP constantly increases with time to. Not to mention what can happen to your health between the time you first PP and the time it takes to accumulate enough to access a good quality unit.

It would be interesting to know how many hunters die or get killed before they ever use their PP.
For me it’s not the being able to come up with the money that it cost to buy a license part that makes me say price’s have topped out for me. It’s just that I had rather spend that kind of money on my family than a hunting trip where there is a hunter behind every tree.

Don’t mean to come across so negatively as I am. Like to think I am just being very honest about how I see things taken place.

When I was born in 1961 the world population was 3 1/2 billion people. Almost 62 years later the population has more than doubled that to just about 8 billion. Have only hunted Elk in Colorado twice. Once about 20 years ago. An either sex Elk license was about $ 350 for a NR. Second time was I guess 7 years ago. That same license was around $600. Don’t know how much it is now.

But because of supply and demand hunting license will continue to increase. But the one thing that will continue to decrease is the quality of the hunting because the number of hunter’s will only continue to grow causing more over crowding that is a big problem now. And this is for any kind of game you hunt whether it is rabbits, ducks, Elk or whatever you hunt.

If it gets to a point where the cost is exuberant, I’ll cut costs elsewhere and even take on extra work if I have to. As it is I’m probably spending around 8 or 9 hundred when I hunt NM and CO plus all the expense of scouting, prepping and hunting which undoubtedly brings that price up to 3 grand or more a year.

I realize this thread is old but since it's bumped may as well. I'm pretty much at the cutoff with current prices honestly. I hunt a lot of critters and enjoy eating fish, game, and birds. I don't necessarily need one particular animal to get my adventure on.

edit: Talking about NR prices here.

Last edited:
For some of you guys that are lawyers,doctors or just make 6 figures i dont blame you.But i have three kids,heavy equipment operator and im back to whitetail only.Tags are outrageous and draw odds are crazy.I miss the paper topo map days were you had to research and study the areas because the hunting traffic is crazy as well.
I could do a Colorado tag but even at that with all the pressure etc now days its just not for me.I just hunt my 80 acres and do some public hunting with some buddies.I have took close to 100 deer in the last 25 years with most being smaller bucks and big does.I love it and have a ball.I enjoy having the meat year around and cooking with it more than anything.I will go on a few hunts when i get the kids out in a few years and would be happy to take a cow elk or moose.I will go to alaska after a black bear as well one day as long as it doesn’t get to complicated.
I guess its all what you get out of it.