How often are you practicing?

PennDude

FNG
Every few years I pick up my recurve, ultimately deciding not to hunt with it. 2020 was the perfect year to pick up my Bear Grizzly again and get to practicing. So on December 8th I started shooting again and made a promise to myself that I would shoot every single day. Even if I only had time for 3 arrows, I would practice.

It has been less than a month, and I am really pleased with my progress. I shot at an indoor club last night and had some 3 arrow groups that really surprised me. All at 20 yards. I’m confident that if I continue to shoot daily, I’ll be proficient enough to hunt with a stickbow in 2021.

I’m interested to hear about how often you guys shoot and what tactics or drills you use to build your proficiency.

Had to attach a pic of my target because my wife could care less, and I’m pretty happy with it.

Attachments

• 85EEAF4F-F95B-4046-B16C-31460B7602D4.jpeg
    85EEAF4F-F95B-4046-B16C-31460B7602D4.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 47

oldgoat

WKR
To shoot good at hunting distances, (20ish yards or less) I don't really have to practice during season other than I do usually shoot a practice arrow each time I'm up in the stand and an occasional stumping shot if I'm in a good spot where I won't lose or break an arrow. I try to shoot 3d once a week or more during the summer. When we elk hunt, we will gps spots that are good for stumping and will pass through them every chance coming or going to hunting spots because it's fun and good practice and the shooting distances for elk tend to be a little longer and I feel require more practice even if the target is much larger!

Felix40

WKR
I barely shoot at all until a few weeks before a hunt. I probably average 12 arrows a week most of the year. Then when I’m getting ready to hunt I will shoot 10-20 arrows every day. I think I’ve just done it long enough that muscle memory comes back quick.

Before I went to Kansas this year I was shooting 80% off my roof since I planned to be in a stand. Shooting off a stool was the other 20%.

I don’t have any 3D targets but cardboard cutouts are helpful to make you pick a spot.

I don't have to shoot every day to stay in hunting shape, but it sure helps. I definitely can't go more than a day or two off before I see degradation in my cold shots at 20 yards. If I haven't shot in a while I need at least two weeks of daily practice to get back to being confident in my first shot of the day at 20+ yards.

Tradchef

WKR
I work nights so it lets me shoot in the morning with farm chores. I’ve shot every day with usually one day off a week for 12 years. I just like shooting. I did the same when I had my compounds as well. Everyone is different on how they view this topic. Do what you can

DEW0341

WKR
I get bored at home so after work I inevitably shoot from the edge of my driveway into my targets against the wall in my garage 21 yards is the max I can get before I’m too close to my neighbors parked car. Average 10 arrows a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
Last fall I decided to jump in and give it my all for 2020. By the time I got all set up with everything it was the beginning of march. I shot almost every single day from then until the first weekend in September when season opened. It didn't take me that long to group decent, but I had a lot of strength to build so I ended up bumping up 19 lbs in limbs during that time as well.

Beendare

WKR
I shoot pretty good when i can practice 3-4 times a week.... soso otherwise.

We just got back from a weeks vacation and I have a late AZ Hunt coming up in less than two weeks so I need to get back in my practice routine.

I try to shoot every day, realistically a miss a few days here and there. I also do alot of blank bail and form work so better my shot and increase accuracy, longevity and consistency. Ultimately I like having the confidence that I did everything I could to be ready when the moment to release an arrow on an animal arrives.

Every day possible and as many arrows as that day allows. Average I’d say 5 days a week with 30-50 arrows per session.

i try to shoot every day, but it usually ends up being 5-6 days a week in the winter, and i can always sneak in at least a few arrows a day in the summer.

this time of year i'm shooting bare shafts a lot at close range drilling the shot process/execution, or i'm shooting at 25-40yds. when season gets closer i will do more 25yds and in shooting preparing for a shot like that in the woods, but i like shooting further out this time of year

pcf

FNG
I enjoy shooting my recurves. I try to shoot 3 or 4 times a week. I go out in the back lot and shoot at sticks, leaves, etc. For me that is more enjoyable than shooting at regular targets.

Used to shoot 3x 1-2 dozen with compound. Trying to shoot more with stick bow maybe 5x, 6-12 at a time a couple times. trying to focus on the details I know I'm screwing up.

I try to shoot every other day. Usually for at least 45 mins up to 2 hours. That does not include 15mins to and 15mins home from the range. If I lived in the country I would shoot every day for shorter sessions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This year I'm attempting to shoot every other day, or a minimum of 3 days a week.

Traditionally I would only shoot 3-5 times a week the two months before hunting season, but I'm trying to tighten my groups and extend my range this year.

My old man meanwhile can pick his bow up the week before season, after a rotator cuff surgery, and still shoot a dollar bill size group at 40 with his Black Widow...goals!

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
I try to shoot every day that I have off. Or before work if I’m working nights. During the summer I’ll shoot every day if I can or feel up for it

pdk25

FNG
I used to shoot at least 5, if not 6 days a week. Changes at work have cut that back to around 3, maybe 4 days a week, and it is at last light. Gotta fight the urge to rush when you know that you will only get to shoot a handful of arrows.

I practice with my 57# hunting bow a few months prior to the season starting.

Otherwise, I practice with a couple different 40-45# bows. I like to do a lot of blank-baling with lower poundage bows to work on my form. One of my favorite low poundage bows is a Bear 76’er. I built some footed, 35/55 GT carbons for it that have 321 grains up front. I use that bow for stumping and small game.