How often are you predator versus “meat hunting”

bachunt

FNG
Dropped a coyote this weekend with the 12ga while I was out looking for hogs in East Texas. Man is it a thrill to stalk a predator like that!
How often do you actively seek out predators? Or shoot them by happenstance? I like bringing home meat but it’s clear that coyotes are a big problem right now!

TheGDog

WKR
In CA after new years day that's pretty much all you can do is predators... that and Jack Rabbits (not cottontails though, have to wait until 7/01 to come back around for them.) Oh and pigs, if you live more towards central CA anyway.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I started calling coyotes 12 years ago, and I became obsessed with it. Now it's the only hunting I do.

I actively seek out predators from the day after whitetail season ends until near the end of spring Turkey. Then I do a little bit again when the fawns start dropping. I’m too busy guiding and running the ranch I manage during whitetail season to predator hunt. However, I’ll always shoot any predator I get a chance at from the truck. Meat hunting here in S Texas is so easy that it’s more like going to the store than a challenging hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yotehunt

FNG
You, you don't eat your song dogs? Do you not watch the news!

Ribs in a can is where its at.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
Set out for predator stands often as I can when not in a major hunting season. Even then, a hunt will quickly turn to a coyote hunt if I see one. Unless I know I have a stud in the area I don’t want to spook.

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
Over the last few years I’ve got to the point where going after deer is just looking for meat so I tend to shoot the first couple of does I see.. the rest of my time is spent going after predators

TDawg

FNG
I'm an avid predator hunter. That said, I try to salvage what I hunt. That means I try to limit my predator hunting to the furbearer season when pelts are prime (no I don't eat them). I harvest the fur and enjoy that aspect of predator hunting. And hey, if I can make a buck or two while enjoying the hunt, why not? As for meat hunter, I always hunt for the meat. Sure, I won't pass up a trophy if opportunity presents itself, but I'm always in it for the meat. I try hard not to blow my meat hint on a coyote. I'll come back and get him later when he's prime. That said, I'm not against killing predators when needed to protect livestock and pets. I've done it.

Started coyote hunting just to fill the gap between hunting game animals. I enjoy it just as much as any other hunting now and do it every chance I get...