How often to shoot broadheads

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to start shooting fixed blades this year. Got me thinking about the setup. How often are you guys practicing with broadheads? Are you simply getting them setup, shoot once at 20 and putting them in the quiver? Assuming they hit the same as a field point of course. Or do you designate one or two as practice broadheads and shoot them with groups of field points during practice sessions? Just curious how to go about this as the season approaches. Thanks.

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
:oops:
sounds exspensive. That’s a lot of targets and a lot of blade sharpening or buying depending on type.

I tune so my broadheads will hit with my field points. Once tuned I'll shoot a broadhead for first shot of the day.

Your going to want to shoot broadheads at your max range to be certain they are with your fieldpoints. I have a few practice/small game broadheads. I'll shoot all of them tho and resharpen or replace blades. Sometimes you will find one that doesn't fly with the rest.

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
I use the "practice broadheads" that Montec produces. Same weight and design as the real deal. Cheaper too.

KHNC

WKR
I found many years ago that shooting broadheads can be a little intimidating to some people. Me for one. I would always tune my BH's to hit with FP's as close as possible. Its nearly impossible to get them hitting exactly the same at distance, but you can get them very close. Once thats accomplished you can definitely just shoot FP's for practice. However, i found that by only shooting FP's , when i nocked a BH and drew back, I would feel like i needed to rush the shot. I also would have a little doubt in my mind whether the BH was going to fly properly and hit its mark. Of course, the arrow and BH was still tuned and as long as i executed a proper release, it would do the job well. But, by mixing up broadheads and field points in my every day practice, i was able to overcome this mental block. Now i shoot 3 arrow sessions in practice. 2 with FP's and 1 with BH. Shoot the broadhead first and follow up with the two field points. This will save your fletchings from the blades. Works best for me and is a real confidence booster.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Once I make sure my broadheads hit with my field points, I don’t have a reason to keep shooting them.

mick2394

FNG
after i tune with them i usually shoot one before season comes in from 20 out to my max hunting distance to make sure everything is still flying good

Take a practice broadhead and rotate it through your arrows to see which ones fly the best. Once you find a quiver full of great flying arrow + broadhead combos set those arrows aside and make them your hunting arrows and be done.

jmez

WKR
I shoot them every time I shoot my bow. I have 6 arrows with FP and 1 with a BH. I shoot all seven every time at varying distances.

Confidence in my equipment is why I shoot them all the time. I don't want to pull back on a critter and think well, when I shot these three months ago they were good. I know it is going where I send it.

This. A few times a week I'll throw some BH's down range to make sure nothing has changed on my or the bow's end.
Yup what these guys are doing for the most part...

I have a bit of a routine... First several weeks of hard shooting I pretty much stick with field points and work out all the kinks in my form etc... I seldom make any sort of site adjustment. Then I will toss in my quiver 1 bare shaft and 1 broadhead and 3 field points... I shoot them for a couple weeks - bare shaft does more to help with form, torque, tuning etc then just about anything.

Then the week or so before I go, I shoot only a handful each day, all broad head... I usually do a walk back... 20-60 1 shot each and will double check some of my long bomb follow up shots (70-80 yards).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I buy a broadhead target and only practice with broadheads. I also shoot broadheads that are easy to resharpen (cutthroat, steelforce premium). When I get tired of shooing foam I stump shoot with judos. I’ll never be shooting a field point at anything so I never use them. Judos for small birds, broadheads for big birds and things with fur.

bwlacy

WKR
I shoot broad heads every time I shoot. I always have one in my practice quiver. When we get close to the season I shoot a broadhead first every day that I shoot.

Then I'll only shoot 1 arrow per day when we get really close. I get 1 shot near my max range. If for some reason I make a bad shot I have to live with it for 24 hours, no redos.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I shoot them every now and then year round, and mostly from 60 when I do. That's the distance I BH tune them for so they shouldn't have any issues hitting the bullseye if nothing has changed on the bow.

In my base elk camp I'll shoot them out to 90 just to pass some time if I'm waiting to head out for an evening hunt.

Last edited:

Sobrbiker

WKR
About once a week out to 70. Just let one practice head of the two styles I shoot (Exodus/Stinger) go dull, and have five of each touched up after checking flight once at 30 in foam.
I shoot field points from 20 to 100 at the range because the broadheads don’t mix well with the bales made of carpet😉