How often to shoot broadheads

Rob5589

WKR
I "sacrifice" a few bh's for practice and shoot them with some frequency as the season nears. I always shoot them to my max distance (70 on this set up) to verify. Big difference between 20 and 60+.

MHB

FNG
I broadhead tune then shoot broadheads about once a seek. I recently discovered that I had some excessive ware on my launcher blade on my rest. I went form hitting with my field points at 60 yards to hitting 12 inches to the right. Nothing had changed that I was aware of. Field points were still hitting dead on. I replaced the launcher blade and my broadheads were hitting with my field points again. If I wasn't practicing with broadheads I never would have noticed this issue until I was on the mountain with a wounded animal.

At least once a week I practice at 60 yards with a fixed blade broadhead.. Keeps me honest with equipment and form.

Dapper

FNG
I shoot them on a fairly regular basis at 33 yards and under. Years ago in my backyard I made a dirt bunker that I can shoot either field points or broadheads in my yard. The dirt was all sifted to remove any rocks/pebbles. Only shoot a couple times a year at longer distances, since I have to drive a ways to do that.

Come August I shoot broadheads everytime I hit the range. Shooting BHs out of a well tuned bow really exposes one's shooting form defects. Once I'm set with my sight tape I shoot enough just to stay in the "groove".

Pramo

WKR
I shoot a broadhead or two every time I shoot in my backyard. I'd shoot more but try and make my targets last.

Once I know an arrow is tuned out to 70 with a fixed head, I'll mark it put in away for hunting season.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Like others have said, I shoot a broadhead or two at every shooting session starting at least a month before the season opens. In my opinion there is something psychological about seeing that razor blade on the end of my arrow. I want to shoot them enough before season to eliminate all of that feeling.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I shoot 3-7 times a week and a couple months before a trip or during local season I'll shoot the first arrow as a broadhead and then fieldpoints after that. Like ncaci8tor said something mental about pulling an iron will inside my riser.

KHNC

WKR
Highly doubtful and hasn’t been my experience.
Ever have your string stretch? Your rest move a little? Your sight move a tiny amount? Any of those things can cause a broadhead to impact differently but not affect field point flight. Maybe you are one of the unicorns that never has any equipment issues and can show up in the field and shoot a broadhead at an animal , with no practice, and be fine. I am not.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Ever have your string stretch? Your rest move a little? Your sight move a tiny amount? Any of those things can cause a broadhead to impact differently but not affect field point flight. Maybe you are one of the unicorns that never has any equipment issues and can show up in the field and shoot a broadhead at an animal , with no practice, and be fine. I am not.

Never had any issues that wouldn’t show up with field points. I don’t doubt that the broadheads take the blame for alot of issues that aren’t broadhead related, though.

rclouse79

WKR
This thread got me thinking I should check one more time. First shot out of my blind chair from 25 yards. Now I just need Saturday morning to get here already!

E14CDE8F-D98C-491C-B1B8-11101CA41265.jpeg

Sight moving won't change a broadhead anymore that a field point. I haven't had a rest move to any extent that it doesn't show with field points but does with broadheads.

I don't believe in just tuning once and saying it's good. But I don't think you need to shoot broadheads all the time. Shoot a few every so often to check that things are still good. I like shooting them first so it's checking me too.

String/cable stretch will do it but you can normally tell when that is happening.

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
I have a designated BH I practice with. Shuttle t's are a bitch to sharpen and I don't want to keep replacing blades.
Anyways, I'll spin the practice one on an arrow, if it's good I'll practice 1-3 shots, remove, put new BH on said arrow and spin.
Do that for the 5-6 that make the trip with me.
I wouldn't be the first guy to ask about dressing an elk, but I sure have messed with arrows over the last few years.
55yd range at home but the neighbors are behind my target.
Only shoot that far a few times when everything feels dialed. High stakes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Shoot what you’re going to hunt with, or at least throw some heads on every time you shoot. I often find things that happen with a broadhead that I would never see with a field point because of the giant steering wheel on the front when you’re shooting.

Just the other day I was shooting some montec heads at 60 yards in about a 15-20 mph crosswind. Turns out, I have to aim about a foot into the wind because of how much it changes my point of impact at that distance- something you DEFINITELY wouldn’t see with a field point....

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot what you’re going to hunt with, or at least throw some heads on every time you shoot. I often find things that happen with a broadhead that I would never see with a field point because of the giant steering wheel on the front when you’re shooting.

Just the other day I was shooting some montec heads at 60 yards in about a 15-20 mph crosswind. Turns out, I have to aim about a foot into the wind because of how much it changes my point of impact at that distance- something you DEFINITELY wouldn’t see with a field point....
The wind scares me a little. It's rarely blowing at home and not often where I'm hunting but if it's a breezy day that's hard to practice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It’s different. After I did the cold bow challenge this year, I decided that I was going to start shooting in scenarios that I’d likely see in the field. While I can’t really replicate elevation changes and whatnot, I’ve been shooting with a fully loaded quiver, small side bar, and gap shooting pins at off distances from different angles. It amazed me how much of a sail your quiver becomes. And amazed me even more at how much the wind effects arrow flight with broadheads