How old do kids in your state have to be to start accumulating points?

I just found out in MI that there is no minimum age to start accumulating points. So I'm going to start getting points for the kid so when he's of hunting age he can hopefully go on some great hunts in our state at a relatively young age.

Right now, a bear tag for a good unit can take up to mid teens in points. That's not to say you can't get a tag every year with no points and kill one, but it seems our areas with the most bears give out the least amount of tags as of now.

Elk is based on chances, not preference points. So when he's ready he'll still be way ahead of the game, but possibly never draw a MI elk tag. Still worth putting in for because it's so cheap.

What's it like in your state? I thought about maybe doing the same thing for a out of state hunt for him, but I'm not sure how many other states are like that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
^^^ Kind of true - but actually the kid only needs to be 12 by the start of a season specified.

They used to specify that they needed to turn 12 before one of the seasons ended in that year. This year it just says "provided they turn 12 in 2020".

Agross

WKR
I just found out in MI that there is no minimum age to start accumulating points. So I'm going to start getting points for the kid so when he's of hunting age he can hopefully go on some great hunts in our state at a relatively young age.

Right now, a bear tag for a good unit can take up to mid teens in points. That's not to say you can't get a tag every year with no points and kill one, but it seems our areas with the most bears give out the least amount of tags as of now.

Elk is based on chances, not preference points. So when he's ready he'll still be way ahead of the game, but possibly never draw a MI elk tag. Still worth putting in for because it's so cheap.

What's it like in your state? I thought about maybe doing the same thing for a out of state hunt for him, but I'm not sure how many other states are like that.

WOW, I feel like an idiot. I didnt even realize this. Thank you for pointing this out. My son is gonna be 8 in a week and a half. I will now be getting him points for bear and elk from here on out. Thank you!