How old to start kids?

HeadnWest

WKR
My son is turning 5 in a month and I was thinking of getting him some sort of kid recurve bow. He loves coming to the archery range with me right now, so I thought he could start to shoot as well. Is 5 too soon to start him out?

How soon have you started your kids in archery?

OR Archer

WKR
5 is fine for most kids. I always try and keep it simple for young kids. Have them shoot fingers and no sights. When they get a bit older and develop better coordination then start working in sights and releases.
Take a look at the mini Genesis also. Great bow for yo kids.

I got my first bow at 4. I shot a lot until I was in high school then stopped for various reasons (including shooting alone 90% of the time).
Got back into at about 27, took a moose 2 years ago and going on a Dall Sheep Hunt this year.

I do regret that I haven’t started my kids yet. That was my plan for this year but we will see. They are gone half this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
My grandson started at 4 and has shot a couple of kiddie tourney's at 5. Others stated the key. It has to be fast paced and fun.

I would suggest getting a cheap recurve or longbow for yourself to shoot with them. Don't try to practice seriously when the kids are shooting with you. My grandson loves it when we get to shoot together, but at 5 and 10 yards my hunting bow isn't practical. My recurve on the other hand is just like his, and that is super cool.

Jeremy

Felix40

WKR
My son is 4 and has one of the green fiberglass Bear longbows. We threw away the arrows that come with it and I made him a bunch from my broken ones. It actually shoots pretty good and is a good weight for him.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
My son is 4 and has one of the green fiberglass Bear longbows. We threw away the arrows that come with it and I made him a bunch from my broken ones. It actually shoots pretty good and is a good weight for him.
I did the exact same thing for my daughters Bear bow. I liked being able to twist in a plastic blunt tip instead of having those pseudo field points that it came with. I'm going to have to lock up the broad heads when my son turns five tho haha.

Felix40

WKR
I did the exact same thing for my daughters Bear bow. I liked being able to twist in a plastic blunt tip instead of having those pseudo field points that it came with. I'm going to have to lock up the broad heads when my son turns five tho haha.
And it was easier to just cut some of my broken ones than to refletch the kit arrows with feathers. They fly a lot better now.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
My son and daughter both started at 4. Both with compounds but a recurve would prob be a good idea. I also recycle my old damaged arrows and cut them down for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
A recurve worked better for my grandson from a draw length standpoint. He is a shorty and even the everyone fits compounds are long for him.

Jeremy