How quick is too quick?

lmeyer

WKR
I want to make a "quick" CO bear hunt this year, it would be my first bear hunt. Hopefully in an area that I would apply for elk next year and do some scouting at the same time. Time constraints with work and family will probably only leave me 5, maybe 6 days including travel. I'm coming from louisiana so I will be flying and renting a vehicle to get to the trail head. Is that enough time for a quick trip with any real expectation to get on the mountain, hunt, harvest, get the meat out and frozen for a flight back home?

If it's 6 days including travel that only gives you about 4 days of actually hunting. If you have everything lined up for if you harvest it could be doable. But if it comes down to a wire you might need to reschedule a flight.

Then if you don't already have a good idea of where bears will be then that turns it into a lot more of a scouting trip than a hunting trip.

I'd probably still do it if it was my only time I could get into the mountains though. Go in with high hopes, but low expectations.

OP
L

lmeyer

WKR
I'd probably still do it if it was my only time I could get into the mountains though. Go in with high hopes, but low expectations.

I have very little expectation of harvest. I just don't want to be irresponsible with my time and the meat IF I get lucky. I don't have a unit picked yet and no experience with bears,So I likely will be spending time to locate them on the mountain. Ive been reading g treads on here about locations and habitat and plan on doing a bunch more research, calling biologist etc. but it seems like the most common advice it to be elk hunting without a bear tag.

Any excuse to get into the mountains is a good one... lots of areas have a lot of bear and would love to see the numbers reduced. I would suggest contacting the CODOW and I bet they can put you in touch with someone within their department that can recommend preferable GMU's to optimize your opportunity for harvesting a bear.

I have very little expectation of harvest. I just don't want to be irresponsible with my time and the meat IF I get lucky. I don't have a unit picked yet and no experience with bears,So I likely will be spending time to locate them on the mountain. Ive been reading g treads on here about locations and habitat and plan on doing a bunch more research, calling biologist etc. but it seems like the most common advice it to be elk hunting without a bear tag.
I'd do it. Find the food and you'll find bears.

OP
L

lmeyer

WKR
Any excuse to get into the mountains is a good one... lots of areas have a lot of bear and would love to see the numbers reduced. I would suggest contacting the CODOW and I bet they can put you in touch with someone within their department that can recommend preferable GMU's to optimize your opportunity for harvesting a bear.
Any excuse... kinda what I'm going for. Not enough time for me to want to burn elk points or money, So I had to come up with another excuse

colby12

WKR
For what its worth last year I went on my first bear hunt to Colorado, time constrained as well. Hunted pretty hard and harvested the third morning. Not a trophy bear by any means but I had a hell of a time. I got lucky with friends who had seen sign a few places in the past and went with it. Shoot me a message if you want more details.

OP
L

lmeyer

WKR
For what its worth last year I went on my first bear hunt to Colorado, time constrained as well. Hunted pretty hard and harvested the third morning. Not a trophy bear by any means but I had a hell of a time. I got lucky with friends who had seen sign a few places in the past and went with it. Shoot me a message if you want more details.
Pm

I average less than one bear sighting for every five days in the mountains. If you just want to walk around with a rifle while scouting an elk area, have at it. Tags are cheap and there's definitely bears out there to be had.

OP
L

lmeyer

WKR
Another logistic question, is the bear checknin mandatory across the board or is it for certain gmu only? How long does it take to get checked?