How quiet clothing do we really need?

ledflight

WKR
Something I have been thinking about this year after I picked up a pair of those First Lite Guide Lite pants on Sierra this spring.
They are so loud! All my pants are quieter, but none qualify as "technical" - they're either heavy fleece or poly, which has been very quiet.
So my question is - has anyone been busted stalking by the brushing/swishing of their pants? Seems more likely you're busted by a twig snap.
For perspective, I am a NY guy so it's basically whitetail for me (with hope for bears) and I picked up the pants kind of "on spec" for future possible trips where lighter mass weight clothes might matter more.

nphunter

WKR
I think the biggest thing is moving super slow and standing super still when animals are looking. I've had elk walk up and sniff me several times. I've also stalked close enough to a mule deer to touch his antlers and muffed a shot at a big buck one year at 3 yards. Playing the wind and moving as slow as you possibly can when you get super close is key, squint your eyes if your close enough for them to see them so they don't see you blink.

I never pay attention to the loudness of my clothes or the color of my camo for stalking, obviously, they play a part, but there are far more critical factors. Play the wind, try to put something in between you and the animal if possible, watch the animals behavior, and only move when they are relaxed.

Btaylor

WKR
I think upper body clothing is more important than lower due to the drawing motion. At close range or in super still conditions, noisy upper body clothes can be an issue. Agree with both the guys above too.

OP
ledflight

ledflight

WKR
Thanks for the replies.
Good point about the noisy upper body clothing. My heaviest jacket is Day One cowboy suede and it's silent. An OR Ferrosi seems a lot louder in comparison!
If I wash and wear them some they'll probably quiet down, too.

FLAK

WKR
Down here in the Southeast where shot distances are often measured in feet,
I need completely silent clothes.

BBob

WKR
Down here in the desert if you drag your pants through brush especially catclaw be it Coues or desert mule deer they will bust you and run away. Even the javelina will likely run away. Crunchy feet will get you for sure but noisy clothes will too.

Steadman

WKR
I love the first lite pants, but not for hunting. I have had deer bust me from the noise from a ways out. I wear a different pant now. If you really want to be quiet, just take them off like South does, but that's not for me

OP
ledflight

ledflight

WKR
I love the first lite pants, but not for hunting. I have had deer bust me from the noise from a ways out. I wear a different pant now. If you really want to be quiet, just take them off like South does, but that's not for me
Ah. Yeah, with the fusion camo on them, they're pretty in your face camo for non hunting.
I think quiet + DWR is a challenge to find. Maybe with heavy use the wooshy part will wear down, but not sure I'll get there.

WCB

WKR
Yeah a twig or sound of foot steps will scare things away...now couple that with the smack of brush against loud clothing or swishing sound of just your clothes rubbing on themselves. The KUIU attach pants are the quietest pant I have used besides some fleece stuff.

Problem with quiet it usually means soft and soft means everything gets stuck to it.

IMO wind is a huge factor....a good constant breeze/wind with deer laying in tall grass or brush you can almost walk right up to them...little to no breeze I have had deer swing there head around knocking an arrow from a ways out.

Steadman

WKR
I never get camo pants. I have the brown solid guide pant. Super comfy. Not quiet at all

Ive often wondered if the reason a deer caught me drawing my bow was because it saw me draw or it heard me. I hunt from the ground a good bit and if I'm in a stand, I set up between 10-15 feet up and within 20 yards or less of where I intend to shoot. I want my clothing to be as quiet as possible.

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
Most of my hunting is for whitetails and my shots are typically under 15 yards - so quiet clothing is very important. I use a lot of fleece and wool. I do have a Kuiu jacket that is pretty quiet that I will use and a Sitka fanatic coat for really cold days - but otherwise I just use layers of wool and fleece.

Ahutch

FNG
Me thinks I'll just stick with my blue jeans and t shirts....lol. Cotton is quiet :)

Here in s.e. Okla. The thermals will get ya busted before anything else. Just standing outside not doin nothin will make ya sweat like a whore ...

Hutch

Rich M

WKR
I'm deaf - can hear some stuff but the noises that spook deer off, I'm stumped. I have all but given up archery - sitting in a tree and playing it all careful to have the deer spook if I shift in seat or draw the bow when they are inside say 25 yards. It's not the movement, it is the noises I don't hear. Last archery hunt in 2018 I spotted em working in from about 60 yards out and drew well before they got there, shot 2 that day...

I wear jeans and a T shirt or fleece most of the time. Hunting down here is usually warm to hot.

OP
ledflight

ledflight

WKR
Minths later still thinking about this topic in regards to a quiet windstop layer over pants.
something packable, quiet and windproof to put on at the stand over breathable layers - fleece and wool. Probably a reasonably quiet rain layer will be the option.

bisblue

WKR
They say you get light, warm, quite, pick two...
Out west it's spot and stalk so loud puffy is fine since I'll take it off to stalk.
But life someone else said, South Cox stalks in his underwear! Good excuse for camo undies I guess.