How rare are they in 2020?

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Don’t worry I am not looking for a 370 plus in an OTC unit. When I originally started the thread, I didn‘t even have OTC units in mind. Since we have gotten a little side tracked, let me give you my thoughts on the subject.

If we are talking 380 and above bulls, they are out there is prime units in prime states (what that means is debatable). However, I personally believe they are a rarer than they were 30 years ago and probably 20 years ago. And, even when one finds a bull of that size (which is a thrill and blessing in and of itself which does not happen often), getting in position to take a shot with a bow is an entirely different issue.

Laramie

WKR
OTC areas, it is very rare for a bull to reach the age necessary. In very good limited quota areas, it is more common but still very challenging to find. I guided for many years in good to great areas, on private land. Exactly one bull taken scored over 380".

A 380" Bull is a beast!

I'd be willing to bet that if you pooled all the archery elk hunters together, less than 5% of them have killed a 380" Bull.

Laramie

WKR
To really understand how rare they are, you only need to look at B&C records. For example, Wyoming has 177 total all time entries as of the 2017 report I have in front of me. With an average of 50k hunters yearly, you can see bulls of that size are a true needle in a hay stack.

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Not common,but they are out there,I hear......beautiful blondes. LOL
Bet I can see more 300+ bulls in a year than the above. Blonde, brunette...
350+ bulls are getting harder to find,but with good year & feed it's possible. Where I live.
I have seen 400 +bulls here. Hell the state bow record was on my place the week before season and taken 5 mi away.
OTC unit states or places? I don't know about those anymore. This is all draw or LO tags & all on basicly same lands.
I have a nice 260 guy hanging in my trophy rack tree from 3 years ago.
Spent 5 tags passing on 340's for 380's.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Anymore, it's all about the experience I have with a bull. I usually never even really see the rack to make an assessment as things happen really fast. But I'll know they're at least a decent bull based on the encounter before I even see them. That's all I care about these days, then it's a surprise when I walk up on them.

In 40 years of elk hunting I've seen maybe three 380+ bulls in Colorado and I was working all three of them. One got as close as 10 yards and I still had no shot. He ran in so fast I didn't even have time to even think about getting into a better position. One was shot by a ML hunter while the bull was 70 yards in front of me while I was working him.

Last edited:
Ive hunted elk for 8 years now and have never seen a bull I would even attempt to describe as a 300+. I usually go into the woods with a plan and it goes to hell as soon as a cow steps out. I really would love to get a nice bull though. Maybe this year since I drew a 1st rifle tag that I didnt even put in for...but I will take it.

wytx

WKR
Spouse was working this bull and his harem when some other guys heard the bugling and moved in and spooked him. Unfortunately he was found dead a week later.
I would not pass this bull and he only goes 367.
LQ area in Wyoming. Larger bulls are taken from this area almost every year.

We wonder how big the bear was that turned the carcass over.

DSCN1725 copy.jpg
DSCN1727 copy.jpg

DSCN1747 copy.jpg

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
I think everyone’s responses are pretty much consistent with my approach. You are not chasing a unicorn, they are out there but pretty darn rare!

How many people can truly judge an elk past 300"? I doubt I can be that accurate. When they are on the ground in front of me i can be pretty close. 5-8" give or take. You would need a lot of time and experience to tell the difference in 348 and 365. 1" longer tines everywhere is 12". Little bit of mass difference takes 348 to 365.

Swede

WKR
I have never seen a 380 Oregon bull in the field. That includes my entire hunting life and many years working in the National Forests.
I heard several reports about the 400 class bull near where I was hunting. When a friend killed it, the critter had shrunk down to 327 P&Y green score. :)

marktole

WKR
I saw a 380 bull last year. Public land in the northwest corner of Wyoming. Right off the road even. Lots of tourists around taking pictures. I decided to pass.

Lol...good thing you decided to pass that one :LOL:

njdoxie

WKR
A 380" Bull is a beast!

I'd be willing to bet that if you pooled all the archery elk hunters together, less than .00005% of them have killed a 380" Bull.

fixed it again

For those that have seen a 380 was that on private or LE units?

I’ve never see a B&C deer or elk, but I don’t care, just want a legal bull.

15 years ago while archery hunting OTC, I saw 2 bulls above timberline that I *thought* would be about 350, they dwarfed the other bulls around them. While sneaking in on them, the wind switched, and about 10 bulls thundered down into the timber, probably not stopping until they reached the private far below, where they could rest in peace. There were bulls above timberline on both sides of the drainage, and I sent em all packing down to the private before I was done, I cleared it out and never saw another elk that trip.

Last edited:
I have never seen a 380 Oregon bull in the field. That includes my entire hunting life and many years working in the National Forests.
I heard several reports about the 400 class bull near where I was hunting. When a friend killed it, the critter had shrunk down to 327 P&Y green score. :)
Funny how that works... Just throwing "class" on the end of your numeric description gives you 40" of wiggle room on elk before people really laugh you out of existence. I seriously doubt most people even know how to tape most things they throw out scores for. Hell I killed a 200-class deer once that hardly measured 180"

Pull open the Idaho record book and like mentioned above regarding WY there aren’t many legitimate 380” bulls taken.

Best be looking in AZ, NM, etc.