How realistic is weekend-only elk hunting?

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently planning and preparing for my first elk hunt (and probably mule deer, too) now that I'm in Colorado. The good news is I just started a good job. The bad news is that I have to accrue my time off and I'm thinking I won't have much available to take a week off to elk hunt this fall. Luckily, there is quite a bit of national forest within a pretty reasonable driving distance. I hear stories of guys taking a full day or two to pack out their kill and the logistics of it seem pretty daunting. I'm thinking I could get off friday evening, drive to my spot and camp for the night, and then have all day saturday and sunday to hunt. How feasible is this to do? I'm sure somebody has been in a similar situation before. Thanks in advance.

Have done it before on quite a few occasions. It is a whole lot easier if you can line up a packer or a few friends to help haul an elk out. Mule deer was never too big of a deal, but still a bit of work. Either way it will be a lot of work.

svivian

WKR
That's what I did all season during archery. Only hunted 6 days total but was in elk every day and shot my bull on the third weekend. Pm me what Area you are working in and maybe I can help you out.

HOT ROD

WKR
It can be done. I am two for two. One bull and one cow. Weekend only hunts.... All general hunts...

OP
Felix1776

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Have done it before on quite a few occasions. It is a whole lot easier if you can line up a packer or a few friends to help haul an elk out. Mule deer was never too big of a deal, but still a bit of work. Either way it will be a lot of work.
PM sent.

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
The elk I shot last year and the deer I shot this year were both on weekend hunts. You just have to be mindful of how far away from the truck you are and what the animal is.

I wouldn't shoot an elk Sunday evening if I had to be back to work Monday morning early (unless it was dang close to the truck).

The elk and deer were between 1.5 to 2 miles from the truck for me. The elk took 8 hours (2 trips) to field dress and haul out and the deer took 3 hours (1 trip).

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
A bad day hunting (whatever that is?????) is better than any day working!

Definitely do-able but it has to be a little better planned and thought out. As has been said, probably shouldn't be shooting on Sunday afternoon but definitely on Friday evening. If you have a packer or lots of friends available, then anytime is a good time.

Good luck!

topher89

WKR
The bad thing about weekend hunting is you do not necessarily get Saturday and Sunday to hunt. You have to be disciplined enough to call it quits on Sunday. You can't shoot a bull elk 5 miles aways from the truck at 4 in the afternoon on Sunday if you have to work Monday and you are by yourself.

Just know what your limits are and you can totally weekend hunt.

LandYacht

WKR
What GIS said, don't shoot it late on Sunday and only if you have some friends to help, or a boss that understands you will need Monday off. These weekends in the woods will help you hone your craft for when you have enough vacation built up to be in the woods for as long as you care to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
I would assume you are willing to take a cow or bull if archery hunting? If so you have a chance. Being your first elk adventure it will be tough to put one on the ground since you have little elk hunting experience & do not know the area to be hunted. Other than that elk can be had just about anywhere within 1-1/2 mile from nearest roads. Can it be done, yes. Would I do it if I were you, yes sir & did many years back.

Are you rifle hunting or archery hunting?

ElkNut1

elkduds

WKR
You can use weekends only to have better odds of success than those who hunt for all of a week. Here's how: Scout weekends until you know your area inside and out, and backup areas equally well. Then hunt archery elk for 5 weekends Aug/Sept. Hunt rifle deer either 2nd or 3rd season, each has 2 weekends. Plus there is a 3 day weekend during archery (Labor Day). Then get 2nd or leftover licenses for either or both species to add more weekends.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't catch no fish unless your line is in the water........................

I know a lot of guys that hunt the weekends and do really well. Only thing that is gonna screw you up with the new job is if you get something down sunday evening. Better have some good plans if that happens and some good buddies:) Go for it.

Randy

cnelk

WKR
We have all been there.
Start testing the water at work to see if you can 'flex' your time.
Ask your boss if you can start earlier or work later and use that time on a Friday/Monday

If you're archery hunting, the 2nd weekend of season is Labor Day.
Thats 2 1/2 days right there.

It only takes a minute or two to kill an elk.

Sept 4 of 2015, I shot 2 elk with my bow in 20 minutes. And the pack to the truck was 200yds.
So yes, short hunts can happen :)

Archery Elk 2015 movie - YouTube

I'm currently planning and preparing for my first elk hunt (and probably mule deer, too) now that I'm in Colorado. The good news is I just started a good job. The bad news is that I have to accrue my time off and I'm thinking I won't have much available to take a week off to elk hunt this fall. Luckily, there is quite a bit of national forest within a pretty reasonable driving distance. I hear stories of guys taking a full day or two to pack out their kill and the logistics of it seem pretty daunting. I'm thinking I could get off friday evening, drive to my spot and camp for the night, and then have all day saturday and sunday to hunt. How feasible is this to do? I'm sure somebody has been in a similar situation before. Thanks in advance.

It helps to intimately know your area. This year, I drove one hour from my house, got out of my truck, walked 1/2 mile, and had my elk back in the bed of my truck quartered five hours after parking at my spot. Other years, it's been three days nonstop leather locomotion. But yeah, you can definitely find elk in a day or two. It's a crap shoot man because some guys will hunt 7 days straight and end up eating tag soup. Some guys get right off a road and shoot a 350+ class bull. One thing you should know about elk hunting is that a lot of it is being plain lucky! Right place right time! There is no "recipe" for success. It's more of a calculation to improve your luck. Get after it, even if it's only for a day, or even an afternoon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Felix1776

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to be primarily bow hunting and I'm definitely open to a cow or bull. I'm after the meat first and foremost. I plan to spend a lot of time this off season in the woods figuring out the area once I know which area I'm going to be hunting. I don't have any buddies to help with a pack out since I just moved here but I'll get something figured out there. I should have enough time off by then to take a couple of fridays off. We'll see what happens.

Anything is possible if you make it possible. If you're close give me a call, I'll come help I need another excuse to go in the woods.