How sensitive is brace height on a trad bow ?

String slipped off the Grizzly when in transport ( it was unstrung )

Original brace height when I string it up was 7 7/8ths inches, it shot good so I left it there. When it came time to re-string it was exactly 7 1/2 “, I shot it a few times and it shot good there as well. Manual says brace height is 8.5-7.5”

Is brace height something on a trad bow that is super sensitive or is it more of a “ get it within this range “ type of deal ?

OP
Txtrophy85
Also, is it normal for brace height to change?

I string it back to the original 7 7/8th and shot it a dozen or so times. Checked it before I put it back it’s sitting at 7 3/4s

OP
Txtrophy85
Dacron Flemish twist string.
Just got finished shooting again ....I let it sit for about an hour and restrung it. Back to 7 7/8th”. Shot it 20 times and it’s now at 7 3/4”

oldgoat

WKR
I can tell when mine gets around a 1/4" off, but it takes some experience to notice it and know what's going on. Dacron strings will continue to creep for a while when new, just have to keep checking and adjusting, how well it's made and if it's pre stretched or not determine when it will mostly stop creeping. And then first time you shoot it on a hot day, it might creep a little more.

Wrench

WKR
When I am on my a game, I can tell by my impacts if I'm off brace.... when I'm shooting ho hum, not so much. Some bows are really quiet at a specific brace as well.

As said, dacron is going to move eternally.

OP
Txtrophy85
I just thought it weird it got shorter after shooting it. 7 7/8th when “cold” then after shooting it went to 7 3/4”.

I’m not gonna mess with it now that it’s hunting season. I will tinker with it in the off season.

Kentucky

WKR
I use x99.. I can tell with impact and sound… makes all the difference to me

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
All strings will stretch some. B50 is probably the worst. when I make a string it's not unusual to have to play with the brace 5-10 times as you shoot it in. Luckily all it usually takes is a couple twists. And yes, Brace height can make a big difference on some bows

Cy14561

Lil-Rokslider
Some bows are more critical in brace heights than others depending on limb design. But all strings stretch some depending on material. But once shot in they stay mor consistent. But I check my brace height pretty often just in case. Brace height can also affect your arrow tune making it shoot weak or stiff and more than that make your bow quiet or noisy. I usually find the bowyers recommended brace and start in the middle and play with it and find where the bow is the quietest , then go from there. Then remember that brace height and check it before I shoot. hope this helps you out. PS if you order a string from some of the more custom string makers they pre stretch there strings, and when you get em you don’t have to fiddle with stretch as much.

oldgoat

WKR
Didn't think to mention this before, but once you have it dialed in, get a magic marker and nock an arrow and put a mark on it where it lines up with the back of the shelf then you have a quick reference to look at.

BWSmith

FNG
New guy but,been a tradbow shooter for 50+ years.

"One" reason for cresting arrows is,you can have say,the end of the dip align with a convenient place on your riser. Can tell at a glance if the BH is close.

Sound has an awful lot to do with tuning,I can hear when it isn't right. Different limb profiles,and general setup will define how wide your tune window is on BH. Arrow weight too. Good luck with your project. BW

Wrench

WKR
I have two marks on my limb that are my ideal brace for the tune. Can pull a piece of grass, stick, arrow....etc and mark the length and check it. I shoot a takedown and check brace every time I string up. I could add a twist of brace when i tear it down and set it up. I also shoot stumps....a lot. When I get ready to hike in, I plow a few stumps.....it all helps me keep on my game.

slatty

WKR
I notice it right away when the string stretches, usually after a while it will stretch 1/8 to 1/4 inch. It will shoot nock left for me. I'm particular with brace height for that reason. I'm sure it would still kill anything when the brace height is off but it doesn't feel right and makes me less confident in my shooting, which is very important.