How sharp does a broadhead need to be?

johnsd16

WKR
Many probably know this, but the reason sharp wounds “bleed more freely” is that the cells that line the walls of arteries/arterioles, capillaries and to a lesser extent veins contain the proteins that trigger/promote the cascade of events that create a “clot”. Clots are a combination of proteins and also platelets. A very very sharp cut damages far fewer cells in the vessel it cuts than ripping it. Cutting someone’s arm off with a samurai sword is going to cause way more blood loss and for longer than getting the arm ripped off by a PTO shaft or using a chainsaw.

When I shoot a mammal with a bow I want two holes, as much bleeding as possible and for as long as possible. This helps by having more outlet for the blood, better chance at bilateral pneumothorax (collapsing both lungs), exsangunation, or at the very least ongoing bleeding that is able to be followed to a dead animal that traveled a distance or get a follow up shot. Dull broadheads may still kill, but not as fast or with as good a blood trail as sharp ones.

I like dull expandables for turkeys as I don’t want a pass through, they don’t leave a blood trail anyway, and I want the arrow to really “thump” them. Best for me is getting the broad head in the heart/lung cavity and have the head actually stay there with only about 4-6” or arrow in the bird. I shoot a lighter bow, lighter arrows that are FOC and heads dulled from practice or big game hits. In ID we can’t use expandables but in MN we could. Penetration can be a problem with wing feathers using expandables.

Dinger

WKR
So how sharp? If it can shave arm hairs is that good enough?

Asking because I'm gearing up to switch over to bowhunting this year for a few goats.

Shaving sharp is good, but if you check out a few broadheads your arm starts to look a bit weird from the shaved spots...LOL. The thumb nail test gives you the same info without the bald spots!

ledflight

WKR
And stones can be made to be scalpel sharp, or sharper.

"Dr. Lee Green, professor and chairman of the Department of Family Medicine at the University of Alberta, says he routinely uses obsidian blades.

The biggest advantage with obsidian is that it is the sharpest edge there is, it causes very little trauma to tissue, it heals faster, and more importantly, it heals with less scarring," he said.

ODB

WKR
I knew a guy named Tom Mussatto a long time ago. He
As sharp as I can get them is what I carry. It seems the cleaner the cut, the more freely it bleeds. I dont know how you quantify that but in my experience it is true.

I’ve heard this explained that the rougher the cut the more trauma the body “senses” increasing clotting agents. The clean cut, by imparting less trauma, does not get he deluge of clotting agents and therefore bleeds more freely. True? Dunno...

Beendare

WKR
I have yet to see a head that is too sharp but i have seen plenty that werent sharp enough.

For example my knock on VPA/montec style three blade heads is that the angle prevents them from being scary sharp.

Along those lines the biggest draw for me to heads that is premium steel is the retention of the edge after the initial push through of the hair and hide. I seen and used head that a flat out dull after they been through one animal.

Yeah, Sharp all the way through the animal...is key IMO. A very thin blade has a very thin bevel that is easily dulled...especially if its crummy steel or a design that puts a lot of blade on the hide.

I like the 30 deg bevel of the VPA style 3 blades.First, I can get them very sharp with a triangle chock stick [I get that some guys struggle with that] . Sure, It doesn't feel as sharp as a thin replacement blade head, but it shaves hair on my arm so you know its sharp.

The wider more supported bevel, tapered design and good steel all help to keep those heads sharp through the animal IME.

Last edited:

aggieland

WKR
I'm pretty sure a sharper cut will not clot as fast as a more dull cut. Seems like I learned that in the medical field, have to do some research.

G5 Striker, German Lutz Blade,.. SHARP for, ME ! They will cut you,.. just by, looking at em !
Sharpness, is VERY important,.. IMHO The lower the Speed, the sharper the Blade, you,.. NEED !
And,..USE,.. a "good", safe, Quiver !

Beendare

WKR
I'm pretty sure a sharper cut will not clot as fast as a more dull cut. Seems like I learned that in the medical field, have to do some research.

If we do it right, The animal should be dead 10 minutes or more before 'Blood clotting' is a factor.

IME, Sharp out of the package doesn't always equate to the BH staying sharp all the way through the animal....BH Design plays a part there.