How short suppressed?

Sadler

WKR
How short of a barrel have you guys used on a suppressed 300 PRC? I picked up my thunderbeast ultra 7 not long ago and have since realized that it’s just going to be too long, for me, on a 26” barrel to bust through the brush with, so I’m looking at getting something a bit shorter. I’ve heard of guys going down to 20” and 22” with good luck but would like to hear from someone on here that has done it and what you experienced. I’m also getting into reloading so being stuck with factory ammo won’t be an issue.

Edit: I should also add, I’m not looking to go much last 600 yards.

Last edited:

Forest

WKR
Following along as I'm kicking a similar idea around. Not sure the prc is the best choice?? Seems like it would need a long barrel to be worth the hassle. I was thinking something like a 300wsm that can more effectively burn the powder in a short barrel. But i too am learning

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Sadler

Sadler

WKR
Following along as I'm kicking a similar idea around. Not sure the prc is the best choice?? Seems like it would need a long barrel to be worth the hassle. I was thinking something like a 300wsm that can more effectively burn the powder in a short barrel. But i too am learning

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
If I did it again, I would get the 300 WSM because that makes more sense to me. Although the 406 precision guys made a 20” PRC and were getting about 2800 FPS with Hornady 212 precision hunter factory ammo so I’m not sure if I’d be giving up a whole lot with cutting the barrel down. But I’m also brand new at this and am hoping that wasn’t a fluke and not the norm.

OP
Sadler

Sadler

WKR
TBAC has some generic notes regarding barrel lengths:

View attachment 207979

If you start handloading or doing something weird, you might just run it by them before you blow up a can.

For most cartridges, you can figure on +/- 20 - 35 fps/inch of barrel. Hornady lists the MV of 212 ELDX at 2,860 for a 24" barrel. You should be in the realm of +/- 2,750 for a 20" barrel. You can use most ballistic solvers to look at velocity, energy, etc. at your anticipated range. For my environmentals from a range trip last week, below are a couple outputs.

View attachment 207985

View attachment 207986
I just called them and they said a 20” barrel is fine but to not go shorter than that.
Those numbers look pretty good considering it seems that 1800 FPS is the minimum velocity for elk and I don’t plan on shooting much past 600 yards. Thanks for running those numbers.

renagde

WKR
Interested in this as well. Just put a TBAC Dominus in jail. I'm having my 6.5 creedmoor cut down to 20" but the plan is to rebarrel to a 20" 300 WSM at some point.

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I’d stick with whatever barrel length give the velocity you need. At a certain point, there’s no advantage over a .308. A WSM with a 22” would be an attractive option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sadler

Sadler

WKR
Personally, I’d stick with whatever barrel length give the velocity you need. At a certain point, there’s no advantage over a .308. A WSM with a 22” would be an attractive option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I knew I was going to hunt with a short suppressed barrel, I would have done the WSM. I hunt more with a bow than a rifle so I don’t really want to buy another rifle when this should work, even though it’s not as efficient as other cartridges. but based on the numbers 406smith posted, it should be fine for what I need. Since nobody else has done this, I’ll let everyone know how it went once I finish it.

renagde

WKR
If I knew I was going to hunt with a short suppressed barrel, I would have done the WSM. I hunt more with a bow than a rifle so I don’t really want to buy another rifle when this should work, even though it’s not as efficient as other cartridges. but based on the numbers 406smith posted, it should be fine for what I need. Since nobody else has done this, I’ll let everyone know how it went once I finish it.
If I already had a PRC I would just cut it done and be done. If TBAC says minimum is 20", I would do that. I doubt a 300wsm would do any better than the PRC in a 20" barrel.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 300 prc with a 20’ proof and I am very happy with it I get 3100 with 181 hammers 2978 with 199 hammers and 3025 with 190 ablr

OP
Sadler

Sadler

WKR
I have a 300 prc with a 20’ proof and I am very happy with it I get 3100 with 181 hammers 2978 with 199 hammers and 3025 with 190 ablr
That’s good to hear. Whenever I get some free time I’m going to try out the 214 and 227 hammer hunters and the 200 cutting edge lazers. I’m going to use N570, which powder are you using?

Tbuckus

WKR
I’d go with a 20” if you plan on busting brush.
Don’t have a prc but my experience may help you feel more comfortable.
I have a 7wsm with an 18” barrel for my ultra, which TBAC says is the minimum. Shooting factory 162gr ELDX i got 2800 FPS. Handloaded 157gr hammers and got great groups and 2970fps.

I had a 6.5 prc with a 21” barrel that I ran suppressed and was able to get the 156 Berger to around 2950 with rl26. If you were going to go strict suppressor use I would go 18” if possible it’s a great length with a can.