How tight/loose of a bag for U?

*zap*

WKR
Seems there are two opposite 'fits' for a bag. Plenty or adequate room to toss around inside the bag with the bag orientation remaining the same OR a snug fit that rolls the bag with you (lay on you side with your legs curled up and the bag goes with your body). Hope I explained that in a understandable manner.

Anyway, which method/fit do you favor?

HoneyDew

WKR
I like the bag to stay still and allow me to move within it. This lets me have different positions within the bag to help with temp, blood flow, and muscle comfort. Tight bags usually restrict these.

I’m 6’1, 325 lb...all tend to move a certain degree.

Best bag to date, is BA Whiskey Park 0 deg, Extra Wide(80”). This bag coupled with the BA pad sleeve, helps keep the bag put, allowing me to move around freely, as best as I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I keep warmer in a little bit tighter bag. I have a 20 degree bag and I use it down to about that temp so it’s important to me that I don’t have to warm up excess air. I’m also only like 175 pounds though, so I have enough room. Personally I just get cold in a loose bag.

Being a bigger guy 6’2”, 282 lbs and being a side sleeper I prefer a larger bag.

My bag is at the Big Agnes Encampment 15 degree paired with a Nemo air pad both in long wide. This pad is so comfortable when I first got it I went in our basement and laid the bag and pad out and fell asleep within minutes of trying it while watching tv and woke up hours later thinking that was a better sleep than the mattress on my bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
I have always preferred a bag on the larger side that allows me to move while it stays put. I did however find that there is definitely a limit to how big a bag can be and still be practical when I purchased a Wiggy's Ultralite in Wide/Long size. Solid bag, but I definitely went overboard on the sizing. The wide width is fine, but the extra length is overkill. Extra weight and packed bulk I just don't need. So, to summarize, I've found I prefer extra width, but like the length to be as suggested by the manufacturer for my height.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm like Goldiloks- I want just in between :D I've had bags that were too restrictive and a couple that were overly roomy- those were ditched.

Most good outfits will list shoulder/hip/foot girth, once you know what works- it's easy to find the right sized bag.

I will add, for a Winter bag- get it longer, the ability to add your boots/fuel canisters/socks/etc (all secured in a dry bag!) to the foot of your bag is priceless. There aren't many things worse than trying to pry on fully frozen boots!