How to Add Weight to Your Pack?

sont5413

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Guys, how are you adding weight to your hunting pack to train with weight? I just stuffed some things at the bottom of my pack (a few light kettlebells, misc.), but really felt the weight at the bottom of my pack. Maybe that ain't a thing to worry about.

I aim to do some ruck type of work outs (i.e., hiking around with a heavy pack).

Thanks!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use 60# sandbags- have one at 30#, one at 45# and one full one at 60#- works pretty well as the load is fairly well distributed.

Someone recently posted up some tube looking affairs, that looked pretty good. I think there is another thread floating around, that would have a direct link to the product.

OP
S

sont5413

Lil-Rokslider
I use 60# sandbags- have one at 30#, one at 45# and one full one at 60#- works pretty well as the load is fairly well distributed.

Someone recently posted up some tube looking affairs, that looked pretty good. I think there is another thread floating around, that would have a direct link to the product.
Cool! What type of sand bag? I'm assuming such a product at home depot would be apt to spill sand?

The outdoorsmans atlas trainer looks pretty interesting. Perhaps will justify the purchase in the future.

I did the same thing, loaded the pack with some of my bulkier items to fill a lot of space. Added the KBs mid pack and against the back like I would any other item with some weight. I felt like it was comparable to a loaded pack. Sandbags are a popular means. I run the Outdoorsmans pack so I have since shoveled out for the atlas trainer add on to train with.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
got them from Ace Hardware, some kind of plastic fabric- very little sand leakage; I throw them in a garbage bag but probably not necessary

the 30 and 45# ones I just folded the bag several times and secured w/ gorilla tape

I have a boating dry bag (super thick/heavy duty, not like what you would take backpacking) that I filled with sand from home depot sandbags. Easy to pour out sand 30#-80#.

Snyder54

FNG
I use a heavy duty dry bag and wood pellets. They are a lighter than sand but I find I can still get anywhere from 30-80 lbs and it is not as much of a mess as sand when changing weight in the bag.

I also prefer using the quarter panel for my Kifaru to really secure the weight rather than putting the weight in a bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Y'all and your 60-80#'s bags ---- spartan.

I found 40# bags of cat littler are cheap. Wrap it with duct tape for added protection and to keep it in a "form".
You can also find them in 20 and 30#.

You can add weight from there with other things.

zacattack

WKR
I have a canvas bag that holds roughly 50 lbs of sand. Stick that to my frame and off I go. I will say it’s a horse of a different color not having load lifters. Also maybe it’s just me but I don’t put mine in my bag, I know they are built to handle it but I’d rather not use an expensive bag just to haul sand in.

Attachments

• 957DB7B3-162A-4AAC-9049-04844E5144F1.jpeg
    957DB7B3-162A-4AAC-9049-04844E5144F1.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 30

Snyder54

FNG
I have a canvas bag that holds roughly 50 lbs of sand. Stick that to my frame and off I go. I will say it’s a horse of a different color not having load lifters. Also maybe it’s just me but I don’t put mine in my bag, I know they are built to handle it but I’d rather not use an expensive bag just to haul sand in.

Just curious, but why wouldn’t you have load lifters with this setup? You can just attach the lifters to the tab loops at the top of your frame. It will give you the same load lift as you get with a bag attached. That’s what I do with mine when am just using a panel and no bag.

I use wood pellets and put them into a pillow case and tie it off then strap it into my pack bag.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
a 50lb bag of chicken feed fits perfect in my SG 5900. Lay it flat, and cinch everything down. Works awesome and is very evenly distributed.

zacattack

WKR
Just curious, but why wouldn’t you have load lifters with this setup? You can just attach the lifters to the tab loops at the top of your frame. It will give you the same load lift as you get with a bag attached. That’s what I do with mine when am just using a panel and no bag.

man, I feel like a moron, I blame it on my 7 week old son and lack of sleep lol

Welcome. There are few threads on this with some good info. I tend to stay away from food items (rice, dog food, salt) that could encourage rodents to chew your pack. Hard heavy objects can be unbalanced and rub/burn there way through your pack. Water is easy to haul and cheap but it takes +5 gallons to make a heavy training load and it can freeze and or leak. I like sand. I make make packets of 10# and 20# of play sand which is $6 for 50#. Sand in a gallon zip lock. Another ziplock. Some tape. A contractor bag. More tape. Having ncrements let’s me dial up or down on the training weight. Easy to mix and match.

I like KHELs jug idea above but years ago I had a jug split on me when my army ruck got tossed around and dump sand all over, hence my preference for plastic bags and lots of packing/duct tape.

Last edited: