How to Add Weight to Your Pack?

bukshot01

FNG
I took and measured out 5lbs of sand in multiple foodsaver bags. Sealed them up and placed them in a 13L sea to summit dry bag to prevent sand from going everywhere. I wanted something a little stronger so that I am able to exercise with the pack off (lifts).

psirus7

WKR
I use a fitness sandbag shell, and a blend of sand and wood pellets. Sand alone makes the bag too heavy to do Sandbag Getups with. I then shove the whole thing into my load shelf. Try to keep the weight in the upper 1/2-1/3 of your back for more comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eroksolfe

FNG
4, one gallon water bottles - not the quietest but definitely fills the whole pack and balances the weight evenly. I put towels in to take up the extra space and make them more quiet.

Something I stumbled on last night...

I normally practice with my regular gear in the pack except I remove my puffy and quilt so they are not compressed long term and replace them with other clothes.

Then I realized I have two cases of poker chips that I never use anymore. Each set of 500 chips weighs about 15 pounds. I put divided them among four zip lock bags and shoved them in the pack on the front middle side. That ups my training weight from 28 pounds up to 58 depending on what workout I’m doing. Most trips I stick to about 45 pounds so as not to destroy my knees.

Something else a lot of us have sitting around the house are shooting bags. They are dense and heavy with no sharp edges that can damage your gear.

JakeSCH

WKR
I use multiple gallon jugs of water (right now I have 4 in my pack) (arrowhead or kirkland - make sure its a screw on lid).

The week before I leave on hunting trips I toss them in the freezer and use them in the coolers.

Inrutt

FNG
I use a 6 gal water jug and fill to whatever amount I want. If you dont fill to the top, the sloshing helps train for stability. Added benefit of pouring it out when tired or to save knees on the trip down. Throw in a smaller plate or two if you wanna get the weight up.
1 gal H2O=8.3ish lbs.

ScottinPA

WKR

I use these water bladders for weight. Plus, you can always dump it when your sick of carrying it. The bags are pretty heavy duty.

I used these also but with sand and filled to two different weights. Typically my pack has most of my day hunt stuff and one or both of these in it.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
i use cheap corn or wood pellets for 40 lbs and above to get some volume with the weight and spread it out. Hauled between the bag and frame on the shelf of the MR.

In my smaller pack - 30ish lbs - ive got boxes of shotgun shells in there right now until i can figure out some smaller 5lb increment weights to put in there. i should just package corn or pellets in 5lb increment zip locks and cover with tape. Its just a badlands internal frame pack - Dash maybe - that i use when not going heavier.

To get the weight of either up higher, i use cheap cork yoga blocks from walmart and cut to fit perfectly in the bottom of the shelf or pack. They don't compress like the foam ones do over time.

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
50 pound bag of sand, wrapped with duct tape as others have mentioned. I will add actual hunting gear over time to get the weight up. Currently at 67 pounds, and trying to get out daily for 2-3 miles around the neighborhood. My goal is to be easily carrying 20+ pounds over the weight I plan to carry during the season. Another benefit for me, get your hip shelf accustomed to that tightly cinched pack belt. I am aiming for a pack weight of no more than 45 pounds come archery season.

oenanthe

WKR
Bags of wood pellets are cheap, clean, and you don't need any of the monkeyshines like wrapping them in tape. Throw one in your pack and go for a hike. Easy. Simple. Cheap.

I use a 40 pound bag of pellets for most of my weighted hiking. When I'm feeling manly, which ain't often, I have a 15 pound chunk of steel I toss in on top.

Don't overthink this.

Hobbes330

FNG
I cut up tarps and made sacks with them and filled them with different amounts of sand to vary the weights then duct taped them shut. As I got better I would trade out or add another sack to increase weight.

hewittja

FNG
I have also used water to weigh down my pack and then if knees or hips start to act up I can dump some weight. Plus I've found having a ton of water on a steep trail in the summer is a good problem to have.

I use bags of water softener salt (50lbs but they also make smaller ones) or a 50lb bag of shelled corn. Both are cheap and easy to come by, and simulate some “bulk” in your pack and spread the weight around, as opposed to just dropping in some heavy dumbbells or metal weight plates.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
I just put an old sleeping bag in the bottom to get the weight a little higher than I use gallon water jugs, the kind with heavier twist lids. I'm sure there a more streamline approach but 4 jugs puts me around 40 lbs. Plus I have plenty of water if I end up needing more than I bought to drink.

Unclemoe

FNG
i bought a 50lb bag of concrete, left it outside in the rain let it turn to a brick then wrapped in in a cheap moving blanket from harbor fright and duck taped the hell outa it, doesnt move doesnt leak and was like 12 bucks

zacattack

WKR
After stuffing packs with pillows and weights, a cargo net then a cargo panel, I’ve been using a couple of compression straps for the last few weeks and think it’s the best one of the bunch. Minimal and keeps the sand bag up higher and right up against my back where it’s supposed to be. It’s also super easy so to swap out sandbags of different weights.

Attachments

• 40D539C2-618E-4B7C-ABD3-AA0E77D9FAF6.jpeg
    40D539C2-618E-4B7C-ABD3-AA0E77D9FAF6.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 60