How to Add Weight to Your Pack?

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using a dry bag filled with weighed sand, strapped in the bag as flat as possible to distribute weight. Started out with weight plates clanging around at bottom of bag, this is much better.

I have found shelled corn the easiest and cleanest to add weight - leave in bag and place inside your pack or strap to frame and load shelf with paracord. 70lbs will fit on any frame or most 5-7 day packs.

Cosmono

FNG
I use a 6 gal water jug and fill to whatever amount I want. If you dont fill to the top, the sloshing helps train for stability. Added benefit of pouring it out when tired or to save knees on the trip down. Throw in a smaller plate or two if you wanna get the weight up.
1 gal H2O=8.3ish lbs.

I do the same. It's always good to have the option to dump the load if need be for some reason, and I like being able to customize the weight to adapt to the particular hike I'm doing.

Hey Guys, how are you adding weight to your hunting pack to simulate the hunt? I just stuffed some misc. things at the bottom of my pack (a few light kettlebells.). Not sure if having the weight at the bottom of my pack is an issue. Maybe that ain't a thing to worry about.

I aim to do some ruck type of work outs (i.e., hiking around with a heavy pack) until the Fall

Thanks!
I throw in my spotting scope, tripod, full water bladder, and my bino tripod for some weight. Also, usually add in some Milwaukee tool batteries if I'm really getting after it.

BCoker

FNG
i bought a 50lb bag of concrete, left it outside in the rain let it turn to a brick then wrapped in in a cheap moving blanket from harbor fright and duck taped the hell outa it, doesnt move doesnt leak and was like 12 bucks
I did this too, but I poured it into molds that I made for 25lb weights. I have an old surplus pack i use just for training so the weight just stays in there. To do anything in between 25 and 50lbs I use dumbell plates inside as well. Averaging about 4 mi two to three times a week around the neighborhood or a park with lots of hills.

akearns82

FNG
I started out with a foam pad in the bottom and a 40lb bag of water softener salt. I worked up to 80 lbs for a max hike of 8.5 miles. Adding 10 lbs of homemade (gal ziplock plus duct tape) sandbags every month.

mp12

FNG
I have a few extra 2-3 liter water bladders that I can gradually add more weight to the pack with. Or I add more and more "comfort" items.

TheGDog

WKR
4 Gallon containers of Crystal Geyser water, along with the rest of my usual day hunt contents, when I'm hiking them 6 miles into my spot before the season to stash them.

Generally I have been using the plates/chains/brackets I use for targets as well as a bag of sand. Gives me about 65#.

Today I was trialing a new pack(KU5200), so I added 2 40# sacks of rice.

I don't like to use sand unless it is in bombproof bags as once they open that sand is very abrasive. I don't use salt anymore for a similar reason -- once it opens, it is very corrosive/abrasive.

I have filled bags with that rubber mulch from gardening stores though.

In a side note do you feel that your going to wear our packs using them for training?
I've been pack training for a long time and no, maybe, I hope so.

Frankly I love it when I wear out gear. I don't mean smashed it up doing something dumb, but finally wearing through the patina.

My SeekOutside pack has been used in at least 2x/week rucks for a couple years now. Nothing is loose/worn. Actually, I just found another adjustment on it that I've been fciking with.

ppelham

FNG
Ba
Hey Guys, how are you adding weight to your hunting pack to simulate the hunt? I just stuffed some misc. things at the bottom of my pack (a few light kettlebells.). Not sure if having the weight at the bottom of my pack is an issue. Maybe that ain't a thing to worry about.

I aim to do some ruck type of work outs (i.e., hiking around with a heavy pack) until the Fall

Thanks!
Bag of rice