How to affix...which knot?

Rokwiia

WKR
I have a pair of snake gaiters (Turtleskin) and I want to affix a tightening loop, using 550 paracord, to two grommets on either side of the gaiter where it meets the foot. The loop it creates would run underneath the boot. Once I slide the gaiter on, I want to be able to tighten it and cinch it down to the top of my boot. Most conventional gaiters use a strap which runs underneath the boot and is pulled taught. I'm trying to do the same with paracord.

I tried a tautline hitch but it tightens by pulling down on the knot. I prefer to tighten by pulling up.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to rig this so I can tighten and loosen the gaiter?

Attachments

• Turtleskin gaiter.jpg
    Turtleskin gaiter.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 50
OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
How do I tie it so I pull up rather than down? The tautline is similar to a Prussik and my tautline knot pulls down.

I have an idea, I'll try to put it into words:

Tie one end of your paracord firmly to the grommet on one side of the gaiter. For description purposes, let's say this is on the outside of the foot/leg.

Tie an inline figure 8 in the paracord roughly where the snugged gaiter meets the arch of your boot.

Run the running end of your paracord through the grommet on the inside of the gaiter and then through the bight of the inline figure 8 you just tied.

Pull the loose end up until appropriately snug, and finish with a couple of half hitches with a bight.

Dennis

WKR
My suggestion is a little different. I would tie a para-cord size stretch cord to one side then use a cord tightener to adjust length on the other side. Add a small loop above the tightener to tighten the cord and keep the lock from sliding off. Then slide the cord lock down to set tension. I think the stretch cord would help keep the gaiter a little tighter, but the cord lock would also work on just plain para-cord.

Search Amazon Cord tighteners and stretch para-cord for reference

TxxAgg

WKR
I have an idea, I'll try to put it into words:

Tie one end of your paracord firmly to the grommet on one side of the gaiter. For description purposes, let's say this is on the outside of the foot/leg.

Tie an inline figure 8 in the paracord roughly where the snugged gaiter meets the arch of your boot.

Run the running end of your paracord through the grommet on the inside of the gaiter and then through the bight of the inline figure 8 you just tied.

Pull the loose end up until appropriately snug, and finish with a couple of half hitches with a bight.

Sounds like a Trucker's Hitch?? That would work.

Wrench

WKR
Trucker will suck walking in brush. 2 part it and pull to a prussik..