How to best be an assistant to the elk hunter

AZ_J

FNG
So, first of all my dad has a great elk tag this year. Unit 1 AZ early archery. He drew the tag before me with less points so I'm still salty about that and this will be the only time I bring that up in this thread (Have to vent this).

The time is getting near and I have never been elk hunting before, but we will have plenty of people with lots of experience in our camp. I am not a good caller and have next to no experience with any call outside of a handheld Primos Hoochie Mama. I want to ask you all what are some tips to make sure that we get him the best opportunity at a big bull.

My dad has stated he wants me in his back pocket at all times for the hunt, especially when crunch time gets here, giving him yardages and anything else that moment requires, maybe a squeeze on the hoochie mama.... Now I am trying to figure out what do I do when we are not actively looking/calling for some action.

I know I plan on being up at 3AM to start driving around to try and find some vocal action. But during the day what are some other tips/insight you all have for me?

Thanks in advance!

Gerbdog

WKR
Not to late to start watching some elknut seminars on youtube for early season bull calling, a lot of it doesn't involve any calling at all, you can always rake a tree and make mouth sounds through a tube for your dad! Other then that... i cant speak for your dad but I bet you should just show up and have a good attitude and enjoy the outdoors with your old man, they don't last forever and every moment should be cherished, especially the hunts!

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
-Reading/studying maps about your area.

-if you're in his “back pocket“, be prepared to be just as quiet as the hunter. Since you’ve never hunted elk before, it may very well be easy for you to stay calm and collected while your old man is getting excited about a bull, etc. So keep him calm and collected while on a stalk.

-help out logistically. Establish drop off/pickup points, divide and conquer different areas, assist with carrying gear for him while he’s on a stalk

a thousand different things can go wrong while archery hunting and they will. It takes a lot of time, patience, effort and frankly luck to be a successful archery elk hunter. Stay positive. A good attitude from a helper goes a long ways for the hunter with the tag/weapon. Good luck.

OP
A

AZ_J

FNG
Thanks Farmer14.

Maps and lay of the land I got. Used to OTC deer hunt in august all the time before the unit closed its OTC. I love this unit.

I will most likely be semi-calm... I cant help it everytime I see a big bull within 500 yards I get an erection.

And for the other stuff thats kinda what my thought process is. And I definately will be the pack mule for my dad. Its the least I can do.

SonnyDay

WKR
Work on your diaphragm cow calling. Pretty straightforward to get proficient quickly. ElkNut app/videos are your primary resource.

If your dad will be going back to camp during the heat of the day... you could stay out and glass. Maybe you'll see bedded elk that he can come shoot at last light.

Get in shape to pack out some meat! Good luck.

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Farmer14.

Maps and lay of the land I got. Used to OTC deer hunt in august all the time before the unit closed its OTC. I love this unit.

I will most likely be semi-calm... I cant help it everytime I see a big bull within 500 yards I get an erection.

And for the other stuff thats kinda what my thought process is. And I definately will be the pack mule for my dad. Its the least I can do.

Knowing you get excited, step back and try to see the big picture. Your dad will most likely have tunnel vision and want to stick something or rush it. Step back, assess and analyze it from a sort of objective point of view. This will help tremendously. I have been on many hunts where I have guided and or just helped and I always remind myself to do what I’ve mentioned above.

I agree with diaphragm calls, or reed calls. Read as much as you can. There's a lot of resources online.

Stay positive. Stay safe. Enjoy the process.

I think when a bull comes in screaming you'll be adrenaline rushing as hard as your dad will be. Mind your Ps and Qs.

OP
A

AZ_J

FNG
Thanks all for the replies! Y'all have been much needed last minute insight for me for when I finally draw the tag as well and I become the leader of camp.

Definitely going to pick up a (maybe multiple idk yet) diaphragm and/or reed cow call.

And I know about trying not to rush him. Except that old man is stubborn as can be. He had a AZ rut strip tag and he just would not let me call him off this nice 4x4. but hey it still looks good up on the wall either way even if its not the 200"+ freak I saw 2 days before the opener. He's definately in it for the "full experience" and the score doesn't matter as much to him.

Ehiggins

WKR
As a guy who is both fortunate enough to have a good tag this year and a great hunting partner going with me the best things to help the tag holder would be the following:

Make his coffee every morning and his MH every night
Carry all the heavy stuff
Take plenty of photos that make him look really cool/tough

I’m sure there are other things like being positive, sharing the experience and being there to suffer together but those aren’t as important as the few mentioned above.

Tagging hunting partner. [mention]lam396 [/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HunterHawk

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know, you'll have to ask my hunting partner this year :) he's in the same boat with my hunt. He better be talking that sweet talk to my bulls though. If I was you I would be working on my calling, maybe pick up a camera so you can document it. What would you want if the rolls were reversed.. do that

Wrench

WKR
Don't discount Jay Scott podcasts with Chris Roe as there is a bunch of Arizona knowledge getting tossed around there.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My best friend goes on my elk hunts at least a week most years. We just hang out while I'm prospecting for bulls. As soon as I get the right response though, he's on his own because I'm gone. He's not allowed to call, just hang back until I give him the signal that it's over and to come on in. So I guess it depends on your dad, and what he wants and expects out of you.

TX_Diver

WKR
If you've never hunted elk before you should be glad he drew first and you'll have that much more experience when you draw.

Have a good attitude, help with the misc. stuff in camp. Download the elknut app and start reading, etc.

Post some pics for the story!

Be the positive attitude!!! He will most likely have highs and lows and having you there always staying upbeat will help.

Do whatever he needs done, go the extra mile, and take more photos than you'd ever think you want just so you have them! When it's all over get on Shutterfly and make a nice photo book of the whole hunt.

Overall I'm sure just having you there is what he really wants!

Whatever you do, don't be the guy that gets busted when a huge bull is walking in ;)

Jaker_cc

WKR
If you don’t know how or when to call, don’t do it unless it’s to stop a bull for the shot. The wrong call at the wrong time can screw things up just as easily as anything else.

Be the wind man, go through a couple puff bottles during the trip to make sure you have good wind while making a play.

Win lose or draw be positive.

Have a great time and it helps to note down your mistakes so you can go over them later. I’ve gone back over notes and completely forgotten that the sequence even happened. Each encounter is a learning experience.