How to best calibrate your scale.

bighouse31

Lil-Rokslider
What is the best way you have found to calibrate your digital scale without buying calibrating weights. I have a new digital hanging scale and I think it is a few ounces off.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
an easy way to test a hanging scale is with a bucket and water. You should be able to get the weight of the bucket I would imagine, and well water is water

Daniel_M

WKR
Use money. A US quarter is 5.67 grams, and there's 28.3 grams per ounce. So roughly 5 quarters are equal to an ounce. Give or take a few grams.

dotman

WKR
Use a broadhead, 100 grains equals 6.479 grams. Be close enough if your scale also measures grams.

IAHNTR

WKR
Could you buy something at the grocery/hardware store that they have to weigh on their certified scales and then just weight that same item at home. I don't know how much you are trying to weigh, but you might need some nails, screws, or apples that you could then weigh at home. Just an idea???

Dotman I think you have the winning ticket.

Thanks

The problem is I have seen is that "100 grain" field points and broad heads can range from 95 grains to 105 grains, so a 5% error. A specific type of broad head will be very close to others of the same type, but they may not be exactly 100 grains. So it depends how closely you are trying to calibrate your scale.

dotman

WKR
The problem is I have seen is that "100 grain" field points and broad heads can range from 95 grains to 105 grains, so a 5% error. A specific type of broad head will be very close to others of the same type, but they may not be exactly 100 grains. So it depends how closely you are trying to calibrate your scale.

Yeah but in oz that amounts to .0005% error so not that big unless your a gram counter.

dotman

WKR
If you are off 5 in 100 its 5%, whether you are in grains, ounces, pounds, kilos, grams etc. I believe you shifted your decimal the wrong direction to come up with .0005%

Yeah you got me, so measure 5 broadheads and use the middle weight with a possible variance that in the end may add up to a few oz's in the end but not a few pounds

OP
bighouse31

bighouse31

Lil-Rokslider
I am talking ounces. 5 broadheads or 500 grains works out to be 1.142 ounces, my flat scale measured them at 1.14 ounces. My hanging scale would not read them so once I knew my flat scale was on I measured something heavier and then used that on my hanging scale and came up one ounce heavier. So I am one ounce off. Close enough for me. Thanks for all the help.