How to care for new boots

Wildbuck

FNG
I bought my first pair of “real” boots the other day. A pair of Schnee’s Beartooth II’s. Only seconds out of the box I realized what I had been missing out on all my life. Incredible to say the least. I’m sure other companies make equally impressive boots but I wouldn’t know any better because like I said, these are the first pair of quality boots I’ve owned and I have nothing to compare them against. All that aside, I’m seeking some advice on how to care for them. If anybody has some specific advice on Schnee’s, that would be great, but open to general advice as well. I saw that Schnee’s carries a few products (Nikwax, leather conditioner, and pitch blend leather oil). Any advice on those or other products? Can/should I just wear my boots out on hikes straight out of the box or should I treat/condition them first? Appreciate any input.

willtim

WKR
Look at Schnee's website. They tell you what to do. After confirming fit, condition the leather.

Rokwiia

WKR
I got the Timberlines and once I was confident they were keepers (which was within hours) I applied the Nikwax. I also purchased their Leather conditioner. I think they really help.

OP
W

Wildbuck

FNG
Thanks for pointing those out. I’ll get to ordering those products.

Mdf45

FNG
I wore meindl leather boots at work for years and after awhile you get tired of always conditioning your boots the proper way , we would pour chain oil on them and rub it in for 2 second with your hands ... I’m not recommending that but it worked for me !