How to choose a NWT outfitter?

sarzan

FNG
Newbie here, so apologies is that has been discussed. Looking to schedule a Dall Sheep hunt for 2023/24.

My question is not so much on who you would recommend, but rather, how to choose, when many if not all the NWT outfitters seem great. What are the different themes, nuances? Anyone with knowledge?

I spoke to a couple of the 7 or 8 of them... they were all genuine, cordial, and said that any of the other NWT outfitters would be just as great.

So how do I choose?

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Ask for references and talk to as many people as you need. Allowed me to narrow down between a couple after which It was a matter of available dates.

walleyes

FNG
What kind of hunt are you looking at. There are some differences in what they offer from horseback to backpack, super cub vs helicopter.

But you at right in that they are all good and a good group.

OP
S

sarzan

FNG
What kind of hunt are you looking at. There are some differences in what they offer from horseback to backpack, super cub vs helicopter.

Thanks, walleyes. Should have mentioned that.
I'm looking for a tough hunt, no comfort. I'm in pretty good shape, and I am looking for a challenge. This is the primary reason why I am looking for a Dall Sheep hunt. I also would like to combine with Caribou.

what walleyes said is pretty much the only difference. You simply can not go wrong with any of the outfitters in the NWT. The only other question I would ask is if you plan on shooting something else on the trophy fee, what those fees are and if you would have to move camps (and pay to move) for that animal. Otherwise you cant go wrong in the NWT. Artic Red and Canol would be my two top choices.

bates

WKR

boom here you go right here.

what do you want in the hunt and experience?

Helicopter probably easier and quicker hunt? NWT Outfitters/Nahanni Butte

More of an adventure without scouting/ Super Cub? Arctic Red

Bonnet Plume seems to combine both of them, lots of scouting, but still get an adventure but in Yukon.

Horseback ? Gana River but they also do backpack

I don't know anything about Canol, Raven's Throat or MacKenzie Mountain but I am sure they are all top notch.

I try and get a feel for the outfitter, how they run things, then ask about the hunt and what I am looking for, then ask them to tell me about their guides.

after that you can usually get a feel for where you want to go.

Waterdawg

FNG
There are 7 outfitters and 8 NWT mountain concessions in NWT. The Lancasters own Nahinni Butte and bought NWT Outfitters when the government made a large portion of Nahinni Butte a national park with no hunting. South Nahanni Outfitters pretty much just caters to Europeans.

Here is a map of the outfitters in the NWT - https://www.huntnwt.com/outfitters.html

I bowhunted with a helicopter outfitter. 7 of the 8 hunters in camp killed rams within 36 hours of being put on the mountain and 6 of 8 paid for an early charter flight back to Norman Wells. They were only out of civilization for about 3 days. Choppers allow the outfitters to scout better from the air and increase the number of places to land to put out guides and hunters. Generally speaking, chopper hunting is easier on the guides and hunters. There are still areas that they can put you out where cliff outcrops, etc. make the hunt hard as hell. Choppers don't always make it a cake walk but in general make it easier.

Canol - helicopter
NWT Outfitters - helicopter
Nahinni Butte - helicopter
Mackenzie Mountain Outfitter - helicopter
Raven's Throat - helicopter

Gana River - horseback and backpack
Arctic Red - fixed wing

If you're going with a rifle and you can shoot, your odds of taking home a ram in the 150s or better are nearly 100% with a chopper. Weird summertime winter weather or extreme heat can change those odds. Your odds of success with the others are nearly as high. In extreme heat, rams can crawl into caves where its 50 degrees instead of over 80 outside. A friend/guide has seen it firsthand.

Do your research and you can figure out where the larger rams come from.

OP
S

sarzan

FNG
There are 7 outfitters and 8 NWT mountain concessions in NWT. The Lancasters own Nahinni Butte and bought NWT Outfitters when the government made a large portion of Nahinni Butte a national park with no hunting. South Nahanni Outfitters pretty much just caters to Europeans.

Here is a map of the outfitters in the NWT - https://www.huntnwt.com/outfitters.html

I bowhunted with a helicopter outfitter. 7 of the 8 hunters in camp killed rams within 36 hours of being put on the mountain and 6 of 8 paid for an early charter flight back to Norman Wells. They were only out of civilization for about 3 days. Choppers allow the outfitters to scout better from the air and increase the number of places to land to put out guides and hunters. Generally speaking, chopper hunting is easier on the guides and hunters. There are still areas that they can put you out where cliff outcrops, etc. make the hunt hard as hell. Choppers don't always make it a cake walk but in general make it easier.

Canol - helicopter
NWT Outfitters - helicopter
Nahinni Butte - helicopter
Mackenzie Mountain Outfitter - helicopter
Raven's Throat - helicopter

Gana River - horseback and backpack
Arctic Red - fixed wing

If you're going with a rifle and you can shoot, your odds of taking home a ram in the 150s or better are nearly 100% with a chopper. Weird summertime winter weather or extreme heat can change those odds. Your odds of success with the others are nearly as high. In extreme heat, rams can crawl into caves where its 50 degrees instead of over 80 outside. A friend/guide has seen it firsthand.

Do your research and you can figure out where the larger rams come from.
Very helpful. Really appreciate it.