How to clean/avoid the carbon ring?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
You mean this quote? " The stainless 308 barrel I want to say there is a hint of pitting right at the crown edge but it might just be build up that needs to be patched out some more. Still playing with it."

yeah...super definitive...

also for post #96 I never said anything about leaving CLR in your bore for extended periods of time. Its not necessary to do that and I don't know why anyone would.

Of course to satisfy your bias you'd have to ignore the countless posts in that thread of others using CLR to no ill effect. Do what you want, its your barrel, I don't care.

Nope you missed it again. Here is the direct quote. Instead of just trying to prove me wrong why dont you go read that whole thread before you comment again.
So after doing some soaking tests over the past week.....I will confirm and say that if you leave CLR in the barrel for an extended period of time....it will also etch/pit the S.S. barrels as well.

despite you getting quoted Shooter71 that posted just after me and said he leaves it in his barrel. SO clearly some people do. It was said several times in the thread refrenced to wet patching a bore and leaving it as well.

I dont have a bias. If CLR works and is safe I'll be the first one using it. However it isnt. You can get away with it but there is lots of dumb shit I can do and get away without consequences sometimes. The point is why use something that is known can damage your bore and finish when there are other products and methods that you can do that are safe and just as easy. Boretech C4 being one of them.

Guys come here for advice and get redirected here from google too. Sorry its not in the best spirit of the forum to let obviously wrong info slide as truth. You want to do it to your bores. Cool go for it. But lets not give a newbie such bad advice.

Patty

FNG
I will reiterate, CLR, when used for removing carbon rings in the method I described (which is on a bronze brush with a few twists and strokes in the carbon ring area) is safe and effective. Anything additional you want to apply to that such as using it in your bore or leaving it for extended periods of time is on you. I don't have time for your word games.

Wrench

WKR
The acids on the clr ingredient list are listed as safe on stainless....frank has better resources than most. We fight over .0002"......process that as you will.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
To clarify what I posted, I have left them soaking for extended periods intentionally trying to damage the barrel. I wasn’t able to etch or pit one. I’ve tried the same with Sweets. In actual use I use will squirt some in the bore guide, patch it, let sit for a few minutes, and patch it out. Then go to wipeout or whatever other chemical for copper. I also bronze brush when needed.

I personally don't use CLR, but have read quite a few threads about it. According to what I have read, it does safely remove the carbon, but extreme care has to be used when you get it on blued surfaces, as it will remove the blue.

Patty

FNG
Guys come here for advice and get redirected here from google too. Sorry its not in the best spirit of the forum to let obviously wrong info slide as truth. You want to do it to your bores. Cool go for it. But lets not give a newbie such bad advice.
You seem to be in the minority when it comes to viewing it as bad advice. I admire the white knight act for newbies but without any experience of your own to say why the product is not safe, I think the newbies would be better served by people with actual experience on a subject in contrast to someone regurgitating snipers hide threads.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
You seem to be in the minority when it comes to viewing it as bad advice. I admire the white knight act for newbies but without any experience of your own to say why the product is not safe, I think the newbies would be better served by people with actual experience on a subject in contrast to someone regurgitating snipers hide threads.

Guess I am, you win.
Please tell me more that you think you know about me.
If you don't want to listen to arguably one of the best barrel guys in the business I don't know what else to say to you. Do what ever makes you happy.