How to clean head mounts and stop shedding

Hello, I bought some mounts in garage sale . They are really nice deer and elks mounts. How to clean them? Is it normal that they shed hair?

Attachments

• 93BF145F-5DE1-414F-8D17-1ED210C2CC9A.jpeg
    93BF145F-5DE1-414F-8D17-1ED210C2CC9A.jpeg
    363.2 KB · Views: 62
IF they're shedding, then they're deterriorating because they are being eaten by bugs. consult a taxidermist to prevent further damage

I can’t help with the shedding but as far as cleaning, when I used to put up fur for NAFA and Furharvesters we used Dawn dish soap.

You just put a little bit on a rag (no water) and rub it on the fur going with the direction of the hair. It might make some bubbles but let it dry and then wipe again with a clean dry rag. This would always make our coyotes and wolves shine and look great at auction. I assume it would work for deer as well.

I work at a taxidermy shop and for the older mounts we dry clean them. The new mounts we shampoo them. When they tan the hide they use an acid to pickle the hide and then they neutralize it, and then put it in the tan. Over time they acid rot. If you soak a hide or mount that is acid rotted it will turn into wet newspaper. the newer synthetic tans don't acid rot near as fast. We first blow the dust off them using compressed air, and then use white gas on a rag to clean them. go with the grain of the hair and wiggle side to side as you go. it might take a few times until you quit picking up dirt on the rag.
As for shedding, you can't really reverse that. The bugs have eaten the roots of the hair, however if there is a possibility of anymore bugs spray the mount with permethrin.

Reactions: WCB

WCB

WKR
I work at a taxidermy shop and for the older mounts we dry clean them. The new mounts we shampoo them. When they tan the hide they use an acid to pickle the hide and then they neutralize it, and then put it in the tan. Over time they acid rot. If you soak a hide or mount that is acid rotted it will turn into wet newspaper. the newer synthetic tans don't acid rot near as fast. We first blow the dust off them using compressed air, and then use white gas on a rag to clean them. go with the grain of the hair and wiggle side to side as you go. it might take a few times until you quit picking up dirt on the rag.
As for shedding, you can't really reverse that. The bugs have eaten the roots of the hair, however if there is a possibility of anymore bugs spray the mount with permethrin.
This is exactly how I clean my mounts every couple years with general monthly dusting with a soft dust rag.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Dust mine with a stash of turkey wing feathers.
Every now and again a lightly damp paper towel wipe down.