How to cut your pack weight.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Great thread. This issue has been on my mind lately!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

68Plexi

WKR
Starting to see some pack weight threads already this year, so I'll bump this up. I wrote this article in 2018 and think it is every bit as appropriate now as it was then. Different ways to think about weight, where to look to cut, etc. I hope it helps.

We've been talking about trying to put together a Backpack Hunting Gear article to go along with this. Basically go through everything packed for an early season, mid, or late season backpack hunt by 2 or 3 different people in different conditions. Haven't undertaken that yet as it'll be a chunk of work but I'd like to hear if anyone has comments on the idea.

This is an excellent article! Primarily because it covers ALL weight considered for a backcountry trip. I tend to forget about the extra knife on my belt, entire wallet in my pocket instead of just tags/license and all those “just in case” items. All that weight adds up pretty quick and even if it’s on me somewhere other than my pack, I’m still carrying it!

I’m generally not an ounce counter because ultimately I’m going to bring what I have to and I can only afford so much UL gear, but I do try and follow the “if I bring this, something else has to go” plan. Man, why does water have to be so heavy?!? Also, I tend to tear up UL gear far too easily. I’ll listen to the podcast, thanks for the insight guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's the time of year where guys are planning gear choices and dreaming of fall, so I'll bump this back up. I hope it helps some people.

03mossy

WKR
Good info!!!

I'll be going into this Elk hunting season 40 lbs lighter than when what I weighed 2 years ago when I went. I'm hoping that should help!

I was out on a run the other day thinking about this - I was feeling the extra Covid weight and had to check a hunch.

It turns out that liposuction is on average less than 10 dollars per oz. So next time you're considering spending big bucks on that fancy new gear you could just get that spare tire cut off instead.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was out on a run the other day thinking about this - I was feeling the extra Covid weight and had to check a hunch.

It turns out that liposuction is on average less than 10 dollars per oz. So next time you're considering spending big bucks on that fancy new gear you could just get that spare tire cut off instead.
Gear is about $100 an ounce so that’s a good deal!

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the bump. Heading to scout our area next week and to do a gear test/needs evaluation!

Eat less. Actually have more money and lose weight!
To me it really put into context what it would be worth to work with a nutritionist or similar. We all understand that to get really good results in anything you usually have to pay for it. For whatever reason I never considered that paying someone to help me eat better would actually be more cost effective than buying new gear.