How to deal with it

For you older guys 60 plus that bodies started breaking down a little. Not so much that you cant hunt but enough that really getting with it day after day just isnt happening. How would you like your younger hunting partners/family to deal with you? Do you still want to be invited on everything knowing that you cant do it? Do you want the group to adjust how and where they hunt so you can go along? I know it might seem like I am just ready to kick the old guys out but thats not the case. I am really wondering what to do with some of the older guys in the group that just seem to half in half out with trips.

I love my time with the older guys and they have been great and I really want to find away to keep them involved as long as possible but at the same time want to keep pushing hard and enjoying the wilderness.

I know the easiest thing would probably just ask them but they are not the most open type when it comes to these types of topics. It seemed that when my grandpa hit that age we would do one big trip that everyone could push themselves at their own level and the rest of the year he just listened to the stores of our adventures.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Treat them like these old veterans and will be me soon....most start to know their limitations but still want to participate offer and include them as wanted and let them decide how and when they want to participate knowing many days it may only be around camp talking stories and comraderie👍 all brownings unloaded prior to pic taking🤩D76AEC58-FC71-43C4-A4D0-613A1E389E8C.jpeg

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Great topic actually. We used to bring one older guy with us and he used to just tell us to go on and hunt at our own pace while he hunted in his own at his own pace. We all would end back up at camp at the end of the day to share stories. If you want to go way back in and the old guys can't do it, you might want to consider two trips - one for your own physical challenges and then another hunt where old guys can handle it. If I could only do one hunt, I'd probably figure out a trip that allowed the old guys to stay in the game. Those old guys won't always be around. The biggest gift we get from hunting is spending time in God's creation with those we love.

Rich M

WKR
Elk Hunter's post is dead on. If you have to go push it to the next mountain, go ahead. Just let the old guys come along and do their thing. They want to be a part of it and when they are gone, that's it. No do-overs only regrets or no regrets.

I took my dad at 79.5 yo on a CO mule deer hunt last year. The drive was a bit much for him but he wanted to go and enjoyed the couple of days when it wasn't below freezing. Killed me that my father was stuck in a tent to stay warm and later a hotel when the temps really dropped - the old guy's skin turned grey so we headed in to town to a hotel and he sat in front of the heater for an entire day getting the chill out. Couple of us (50-60 yo) did what we could to hunt and were out all day every day, no-one complained about dad or the extra time I spent making him comfortable. He said he didn't want to go on the next trip until I said WY antelope and Iowa ducks and he started a list of stuff to bring. LOL! I hope he's up to it when we go. Might take a week and go duck hunting this fall.

DSCF0122.JPG

Btaylor

WKR
Take heed of these guys post. My dad hasnt hunted at all for the last 3 seasons. In the last few seasons prior to that I sacrificed my hunting time to do what ever he wanted to do on the few trips he would make to camp. It was easy to see the writing was on the wall, he was really slowing down. Then came a couple of different diagnosis and the resulting implications. Trust me when I tell you, the sacrifices you make now are nothing compared to the "I wish we had one more" s, as you watch them melt away physically and mentally.

Voyageur

WKR
Great advice given by all. My dad was in his mid 70's and going strong. Could walk all day, was a crack shot, said he felt like he would live to be 100. Then all of a sudden he didn't feel that way, went to the Dr. and was diagnosed with ALS. In 15 months he was gone. Take advantage of every opportunity you have, because one of these trips will be the last trip. After that all the good memories will be your constant companions on every hunt you take. Enjoy...

My buddy's dad (essentially a second father to me) wanted to go on a backpack hunt with us to Idaho last year after hearing about the scenery, the hunt, and the experience. He asked "permission" to tag along and hunt with us. We granted it (obviously) and he started preparing. At 67 he was a bit out of shape but he worked at it.

Fast forward to the trip, day one involved 1800' of gain over about 1.25 miles after a few miles of relatively flat stuff. . . He was good to start, but at halfway up the climb I took about 1/2 his gear, and at 3/4 my buddy and I took everything but the old man's backpack and water. He was embarrassed and the climb took about double what it should have.

When we hit camp he was spent and kept apologizing. I finally looked at him and said "if I recall, from the time your boy and I were about 5 you would haul our butts all over hunting, fishing, and trapping. And I have photos showing that you were carrying everything, well past when we were old enough to be carrying our own. It's our turn to return the favour"

He thought a moment, and pretty soon was telling a story from when we were kids. Later that evening he looked me dead in the eyes and said "I can't tell you how much it means to be able to go on one more serious trip like this". That moment, and knowing he was soaking in every second, is worth more trophies than a home could hold.

We are all headed back this year, he's not buying a tag, and we are taking a different approach, camping near the valley floor and us young guys hiking up and down each day, yea it will increase the suck factor for sure. But there will be a fire going each night when we get back to camp, stories to be told, and priceless memories made.

All that to say, take them if there is anyway to make it happen they know they can't keep up, but from my experience, they want the time together as much as the hunt!

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
I am 67 and in decent shape for my age. I have a genetic heart condition and need my bicuspid valve replaced in the future. That being said I drew an Elk tag in SD after 20 years and my hunting partner, also 67, and I will be going Elk hunting in October. Bob is a rancher in western SD and in excellent shape, he is one of those guys us heavier folks despise :}, the same weight as the day he graduated from high school. We are fortunate that our 34 year old sons were going with us and the will help a lot if we are lucky enough to tag out. I have also booked a moose hunt for 2021 in the Yukon. All that being said I do what I can on the hunts I go on and if I don't think I can handle it I tell my hunting partners so and they do what they need to. Part of aging and slowing down so therefore a part of life. Do what you enjoy doing in life whatever it is and make the adjustments necessary and enjoy while you can. Do not restrict the younger guys and encourage them to do and hunt however they need to then enjoy the stories in the evening.

OP
M
Thanks guys. I think we are going to try and find a different area that will allow a more comfortable time for the older guys and at the same time work for the harder core guys. A good area to tent or trailer camp with the possibility to backpack in for a couple of nights if people want to. I am sure at some point this plan will change and we will have to just face the facts that the guys we looked up to and enjoy sharing a camp with cant make it out like the old days. Sad day when that time comes

Heck, most of the guys I have hunted with were half my age. Most don't mind walking at "my pace" since we're bow hunting and slow is the name of the game anyway. I do select units based on topography now and do not apply for places that I know I'm unable to physically conquer. Sure, I've pushed my luck and lost only to spend days driving home after injuring myself but hey, that's life and can happen to anyone and at any age. The young guys keep me on my toes and I've seen how "some older guys" really mess things up. I met one slob with alcoholism and diabetes who was a disaster. I'll take an enthusiastic young ethical guy anytime. Just know your limitations and don't stretch em too far. There are times we surprise ourselves and other times when we curse ourselves...it's mostly mental. I'll stop hunting one day but it'll be because my electric wheelchair's battery died. :)

Rich M

WKR
I am sure at some point this plan will change and we will have to just face the facts that the guys we looked up to and enjoy sharing a camp with cant make it out like the old days. Sad day when that time comes

It's all part of the tradition - easier to bring young folks when the older ones are there too. Glad you've got some good friends/family and are willing to give up a little bit to keep it. Your kids will see you respecting the older folks and carry that on, respecting you. (y)

Wapiti1

WKR
My folks are in their 70's and we go whenever we can. Sometimes we hunt together. Sometimes we part ways for the day or I go and they lazy around camp. They are hell on grouse and more than once I've come back to find out that I have a deer to move to the truck.

When my brother and I were little, they took the time for us. We will take the time for them.

Jeremy

16Bore

WKR
The older guys I know tend to curtail a lot of things to their age and ablitity. They know they’re not 25 anymore. They also don’t give two shits about all the guns, gear, and garb. Sleep in, eat a big ass breakfast, head out when the mood hits and never come back empty handed.

Age and wisdom thing....

Wrench

WKR
My dad went from Iron clad badass to wheelchair bound and unable to do basic stuff in about a year.

Pretty rough to watch and had I known it was going to play out that way.... I'd have made more time.

brsnow

WKR
I have shifted my pace to match my father in law. Incredible memories being built. More valuable than any elk, I do think this will be his year.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
This really brings back some good memories. Several years ago myself and my old elk hunting buddy packed in on our last elk hunt together. We had some complications to overcome but we did it. Many years ago when he was a young man he had to have a knee replacement. Fast forward to the year we both drew NM muzzleloader elk tags. He had used up a couple knee replacements in his lifetime and had to have another earlier that year. This one came with a present called a staph infection. He was in and out of the hospital much of the year. As we got closer to hunting time he was on IV antibiotics . He didn't think he could go but we talked to his Dr and he said if we could figure out a way to keep his antibiotics cold he would give the greenlight. I told him if you can ride your mule I would take care of the rest. Pretty sure we were the only wall tent on the mountain with a IV pole hanging in it. We didn't kill a elk but I wouldn't trade that hunt for anything. His wonderful bride wrote me a thank you letter after we got back thanking me for taking him one last because she said it meant the world to him to still be included.

3forks

WKR
I’d happily carry some older guy’s shit up the mountain if I enjoyed their company and they had a good attitude about the hunt.

A few years of trying to find compatible hunting partners got me to the point of where I just started going solo. However, if I had a good hunting partner that I had to accommodate in some way so that we could keep hunting together - I would do it.

I had a few fishing buddies that were way older than me, but were just as hardcore as I was. They have all passed on, but I never had a bad trip with those guys.

If it were me, I’d look into whether you could hire an outfitter to get your camp higher up mountain if you thought it was going to allow you all have a better time with less effort.