How to find a water source?

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
I posted this on the Blacktail forum, but figured I'd try here too:

I'm trying a new Wilderness Area in Northern California that I've never hunted before. I'm pouring over maps looking for potential water sources, but not having much luck. I know a lot of PCT hikers use Guthooks, but I won't be near the PCT and can't seem to find any other app that may work. I've hunted near there, but not this particular area.

Any reliable maps or apps to find water sources on? I 'think' most of the drainage's, especially lower on the mountain, will have water, but is there any reliable resource to research to find out current conditions online?

I hate to be tied to higher lake or a lower creek drainage, but I also don't want to pack 3 days of water in.

Thanks

Marble

WKR
If it's in the Alps there is water everywhere. However...i have experienced miles of dryness.

I've been in several areas there if you want to share the location i may be some help.

Rokwiia

WKR
Before you go out, I'd suggest you study the topo maps using CalTopo. Streams, creeks, and ponds are clearly marked. You can then get a waypoint and plug it into Google Earth to confirm as some creeks can be seasonal.

If you use GAIA, you can choose the map "US Hydrography" which will display water sources of all types.