How to find elk in dark timber?

So I am debating on going to a place that has a vast expanse of dark timber. I have done a ton of research on e-scouting and am trying to put a plan together. I just am not sure if all of the same applies. A lot talks about north facing timber, benches, etc, but is that still just as important if it’s all that way? I plan to go the middle of September and am “hoping” to hear some, but what if they are not vocal? Any tips for this situation? I have been out only two times elk hunting and have hardly even seen any elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess it depends on what other kind of habitat is mixed in as well. If it’s mostly timber I’d look for open pockets where there’s likely feed and focus on edge habitat, move from one section of possible feed to the next paying special attention to those areas you already mentioned. It might be a vast expanse of dark timber but elk won’t just wander it aimlessly, they’ll still have to meet their food/water/cover requirements. If cover is everywhere focus on how they’d use it most efficiently to meet the other two. Of course if all three are everywhere the best option would be to get in there before you hunt and see if you can find any sign or see any elk.

^^ What he said....

Go slow into the wind the best you can and really, really, really, listen. If you hunt the timber like I do you notice every branch snap. And you soon learn the difference between a "thunk" "thud" "tick" "Pop" and a "snap". All of which I over analyze 90% of the time. lol

Depending on where you hunt and how hot it is, I’d try to key in on water sources. Maybe find some active wallows.

OP
S
I believe there “should” be ample water and it seems like the very few open places are a small chunk on a ridge line. I have the few of those marked, just not sure how much they would use those places. Most are on the south side of the ridge. Also, the area isn’t “extremely” steep and probably 2000’ at best elevation gain and loss

jpmulk

WKR
Food water and cover in relative close proximity. Find where they live by finding/smelling fresh sign. Then go slow if they arent talking. Cold call, sit, and/or still hunt if possible.

rideold

WKR
I glass when I hunt dark timber. My eyesight isn't good enough to just look. I have to scour my visible range with the binos. I've only ever found them on the edges of the dark timber and small openings or water.

OP
S
Thanks for the tips so far! Just not sure if it’s worth it to go back there or look somewhere else. There does seem to be elk there and if they are talking I think it would be fun. Could be really tough if not, at least with my little experience

Wrench

WKR
Elk expect to hear elk around them. Elk are far from quiet if not alarmed. You can actually get very close to elk by sounding like a kindergarten class walking through the forest......but you gotta beat the eyeballs and noses, and there's going to be a bunch of those.

Elk in dark timber is how I put food on the table and the amount of comfort they have in there is cool to witness....but don't ever expect the wind to be your friend for very long.

This has been my experience, individual mileage may vary.
They generally don't move too far into the dark timber to bed if they haven't seen a lot of pressure. Lateral or horizontal trails that move from feed/water areas seem to be the route most taken. Easy in, easy out. If they think something is off, they just stand up and file out . If they wind you, it's a mad dash out of there. There is no mistaking that sound.

If there’s actually nothing but timber it can be tough. There will be water so feed is the key. Or should I say routes to the feed. This could mean a trail going over a ridge, possibly through a saddle, to hop from a north slope to a south facing one. I’d guess the feed will be on south/southwest slopes anywhere the timber thins out enough for the sun to penetrate. Anywhere there’s a water source there will be gaps in the timber. The problem is they may never be there during shooting light. But they won’t stay bedded until it’s dark. You’ll have to work your way closer to bedding areas and catch them when they first get up and begin to move. There’s a good chance they’ll be hitting water before moving toward the feed. The other problem is to learn all that you’re going to have to cover some ground and probably spook your elk. Those types of scenarios take the most time to figure out. For that reason I wouldn’t even look at starting to hunt a place like that. If you are and you hope to have success the first year you better get out there during the summer and out in some serious time looking and listening.

Overdrive

WKR
When I'm in dark timber my mindset is move slow and looking for that horizontal line (possible Elk) among the vertical and glass every one I see.

I also look for the small objects, an ear flick will catch your attention right fast. Look for antler tips. See a small patch of tan glass it. I've found many Elk glassing objects that you wouldn't think are an Elk.

I’ve seen elk multiple times just because I’ve seen an ear flick, as stated above. In my experience, there’s always a cow that’s way more attentive than the rest.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I believe there “should” be ample water and it seems like the very few open places are a small chunk on a ridge line. I have the few of those marked, just not sure how much they would use those places. Most are on the south side of the ridge. Also, the area isn’t “extremely” steep and probably 2000’ at best elevation gain and loss

Find the feed then, the elk have to eat. Some dark timber is pretty sparse as far as ground cover goes and sometimes you have pockets usually around some kind of seep or spring with decent grass. I’d stay up late and attempt to hear something or wake up early and do the same mid sept there should be some noise if there are elk around. Even when they are being tight lipped they can’t help themselves to pipe off a little late at night or early in the morning